Fullness, off of a value menu?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by special43543, Mar 2, 2005.

1. special43543

special43543 Special Member

What determines the "Fullness Factor" that you get from foods? I tried finding about it on google, but anything I found I couldn't really comprehend as I am not that big of a health nut...so I figured that maybe one of you guys would know. Oatmeal is a very filling food, but vegetables are not. What makes Oatmeal so filling? Is it actually because your stomache gets full of food?

2. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

A lot of it has to do with pressure against your stomach walls. Some foods swell up when you digest them so they can make you uncomfortable. Full intestines (gross, I know) can also keep food in your stomach leaving less room for newer stuff.

Your body has a neat little reflex though. About 20-30 minutes after you start eating, the body naturally stops asking for food, whether you've been eating the whole time or not.

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If you drink a glass of water before you eat (and sip another during) you'll feel full quicker.

The body often exhibits dehyrdation as hunger pangs, even when you don't need food, so drinking water can supress that.

4. ladystar

ladystar Valued Member

Full?

Hugs, :eek:

Each food has a different composition. Break foods down into carbs, fats, and proteins, and then "weigh" each of these in grams...

Oatmeal packs a lot more "punch," while most veggies don't, yet each food holds nutrients our bodies need. Oats are full of good things like fiber, iron, and more, as are the veggies, yet only 1/2 cup of oats = 15g carbs, while 3 cups fresh, of most veggies will equal the same. Yet they each differ in their nutrition, and both help us stay healthy, in their own way. Veggies, I believe have a bit higher water content, oats, more fiber/mass...

I could say more..and please feel free to ask more questions! Oh, and that tip about water? Really works. Don't know about the other 30 min = full..that might differ a bit, person to person. I'd love to see the study? :D

Blessings.... luv, Jess

5. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

It's a couple of years old. I'll see if I can find it when I get more time.

6. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Fiber, protein, fat keeps you full. Non-fiber carbs contribute VERY little to fullness. Fiber and protein will make you full very fast and keep it that way. So lettuce wont make you very full while cauliflower and broccoli will.

7. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

If you're trying to lose weight, then a glass of water when you're hungry can be enough on it's own to stave off the hunger pangs for a while. However, if you're trying to gain weight/mass, it's best not to drink while you eat or for a little while afterwards, as this makes sure you don't "wash" the food through too quickly and the body can therefore take more nutrients from it.

The full feeling can be caused by food swelling - oatmeal will expand in the gut more than veggies. It can also be a result of the composition of the food. Imagine how much lettuce you would need to eat to get full as opposed to rice, for example.

Also, different things break down at different rates, so you can feel full for a long time on some things and only a short time on others. There are many factors to this.

Also, for losing weight, try not to eat until you feel full. Try to eat a small portion, and don't eat more no matter how you feel. We should eat until we are comfortable and the hunger pang has passed, not until we feel all full and distended. To be honest, this is true if you're trying to gain weight too, you just need to eat like this more often each day in that case.

8. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

As well as what Mo Lung said, complex carbs in particular need to be chewed with saliva to extract the most nutrients, so drinking when eating complex carbs is counter productive.

9. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Starch is a very filling food.

Grains are a very fulling food.

Fruit is not. Fruit is digested and absorbed quickly and effectivly = ultimate food.

10. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Good point concerning the Water.

Also, crack is bad for you.

11. NaughtyKnight

LOL :D

That it is.

12. adouglasmhor

Fruit is full of sugars ie Fructose, You will get an insulin rise and drop from just eating some fruits, this is why some people have fruit juice before a meal to stimulate their appetite. Whole grains give up their carbs slowly and steadily preventing hunger feelings. Both have a valid place in a balanced diet. Are you turning fruitarian KC. Fruit Loop Site

Knowledge is knowing tomatoes are a fruit, wisdom is not adding them to a fruit salad.

13. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

Starch dont fill you up (refined white bread dont keep you full). The fiber in grains fill you up. Certain grains take up water and make you fill up. Fruit depends.

Fructose does NOT give you an insulin rise (it has a GI of 19 or something.. how the heck can it?) which is why BBers avoid it post workout.

14. adouglasmhor

I dont know drink some fruit juice and feel it, it is a simple sugar.

15. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

thats b/c it has more sugar (glucose) than fruits :D

16. NaughtyKnight

LOL.

I wish I could. Fruit is the best thing for us humans. Though I dont think it would be practical for us humans to only eat it. Fruit is sooo expensive.

I dont know about you, but fruit doesnt give me any sugar spike at all. Sucrose is the bad sugar that screws up your blood sugar level the most.

Bottled fruit juice has sucrose added to it. Pretty much bottled fruit juice is crap for you anyway as when they heat it up (to preserve it) it kills all the good things anyway. Make your own at home.

If you want to give your body a break from digesting and make yourself feel the healtiest ever, then have a good old fruit fast for a week. It gives your digestion syestem a break and gives your body time to do other things. Also it will dump all the toxic buildups into your blood for removal (you will feel like crap when this happens) and after all this is done you feel like god. :D

17. adouglasmhor

I buy pure fruit juice (apple) made with no added sugar from a health food store (vit c is added as an antioxidant and I only by unsweetened - no sugar or artificial sweeteners). And if fruit does not cause an insulin spike why are type 2 diabetics restricted in both the quantity and type of fruit they can eat?

PS if juice in the UK has added sugar they have to call it a "Juice Drink" and not pure fruit juice.

18. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

b/c fruits have different glucose to fructose ratios. Fruits arent 100% fructose.

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

You really like those fruit fasts don't you KC?

Personally, I think that simply eating clean is a much better option than denying your body the necessary nutrients.

20. adouglasmhor

OK that explains it to me thanks.
    I try to eat clean but sometimes do a brown rice, green veg, green tea and juice fast (with plenty water of course)