Full(ish) contact?Lei tai, chinese wrestling thingymabob

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tommy-2guns..., May 27, 2008.

1. Tommy-2guns...

Tommy-2guns... southpaw glassjaw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aBEoslpEN1o

What do you guys make of this? ive never seen Kung fu like this before, it looks like Choy lay fut striking and chinese wrestling takedowns and a pin or two. any ideas what its from and what it is? it seems to be no hand strikes to the head ala kyokoshin but im not 100% on it!

Good watching anyway :)

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It's Baji Quan.

They look pretty sloppy honestly but they are goin for it! Props for that!

I saw some head strikes in there too.

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

What's up with the silly Klingon uniforms they're wearing. They must have several inches of padding underneath there... seriously... look at the vid. :eek:
    Jeez... I really don't see the point. Overstylized... charging in leaving your head open... descends into sloppy takedowns.
    I dunno... not very impressed.

On top of that the whole platform thing sucks big suck unless it's Sumo which is stylized beyond all reality anyhow. :D
    Yeah... the kicks in this were beyond lame. Miles beyond.:rolleyes:

and then... lol... starting at 7:00 into the vid it become so halfhearted... not only the attacks.. but the defense that it just boggles the mind.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. estranged13

estranged13 ex video game freak

<sarcasism> this is another win for gracie BJJ the winner was clearly a student of the system

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Damn

Didn't even catch the padding. That's super lame. I stopped watching after about a minute because of the lame - action, takedown, play a slow motion instant replay 3 times, action camera work.

6. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

ahm yeah....

pretty damn sloppy is all I have to say..

7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

my main dislike about the sanda/sanshou ruleset was the point scoring from getting your opponent out of the area. You can see this as a bad example of it turning into a sumo match.

May as well go the whole hog and put those novelty inflatable sumo suits on.

lame lame lame.

8. Satsui_No_Hadou

Satsui_No_Hadou Ultra Valued Member

Are the people on this show martial artists or full professional fighters? If the latter were true then I think criticism would be more justified. If these guys were just doing a few classes a week and it was not their job then I think they did pretty well, I don't think we can expect UFC standards. Does anybody have any more information on the show?

I also think that the whole out of the ring scoring thing was added to give extra excitement to the matches. But I guess it's good to defend against somebody pushing you around!

9. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

I'm gonna buy me an outfit like that so I can look dashing while sparring. =) I'd probably win easily as they would be too busy laughing at me!