Full contact fighting with false teeth

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by ShadowHawk, May 28, 2013.

1. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

Like I said in my other topic I lost 3 of my bottom teeth. Looking into my options I can get new false ones either cemented in or drilled into my jaw. Or I can get cheap removables which are best for full contact fighting?

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I would say ask your dentist if the cemented or drilled ones are durable enough for fighting.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Let's face it...even proper teeth aren't really durable enough for fighting. :(

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

High priority - bobbing and weaving.

Medium priority - gumshield.

Low priority - getting new teeth after every fight.

5. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Lol. That has got to be one of the best thread titles since dirt was young...:)

Best gumshield/ mouthguard you can find...

Oh and what Simon said...Bob Duck Slip etc

Combat Dentist?

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

You would have the option of Taking the Removable ones out, prior to any full contact fighting/drills, and they are damn sight cheaper than getting 'permanent' implants...

...That being said though, I have 7 'Permanent' Porcelain Teeth implants (Top Front - Right in the Flight path of a head-on strike!) and they have proven to be more than capable of withstanding any and all strikes, that have managed to find their through my Guard.

You will also find that most top of the line Gum shields, come with a capped Insurance (mine is $10,000) should you suffer any Dental damage, whislt wearing their product - My advice would be to contact the Manufacturer, find out what level of cover is standard and if having Implants in would effect that cover.

Regards,

Travess

7. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

thank u traves. soklab keep laughin u wont be laughing when It happens to u god forbid

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You've got to laugh about something so horrible so it doesn't get you down man! Run around like an inbred redneck with the accent for a little while for kicks and giggles!

Hope you have a fast recovery man. I've seen guys get injured on constructions sites like that before and have been pretty banged up myself. It really blows.

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I don't mean to sound dismissive but is this that big of an
    issue, its not as common as you 'd think it is for people to lose teeth in combat sports is it, Iv never seen or herd of it much. I would say something that you can remove would be a safer bet than something thats fixed in and probably cheaper, save that for when you retire. Also get a quality fitted gum guard but I advise anyone who needs to wear a gumbsheild to do this.they'll be about £50 if you want a design on them and about £30 for your dentist to do a plain one a well worth investment considering it could last you a good year or more and how many boil and bites you could go through in that time, plus once you have tried training in a fitted one you won't be able to go back to boil and biteI know I couldn't.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  10. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Also, I'd say a double mouthpiece would be preferable to the standard one. It's not my personal experience nor am I an expert, but I know lots of full contact fighters who use it and don't have particular troubles with their teeth.

11. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Strewth! I didn't realise you fell off a building.

My sympathies. And an apology for laughing at your malfortune.

You gotta admit though. The thread does possess an awesome title.

Sounds like an Indonesian Kung Fu Flick from the early 1970s.

Good luck. And get well soon.

12. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

lol sorry for the misunderstanding here is a pic of my xray of my skull, notice the forehead fracture nose n jaw fractures

[​IMG]

this is my karma, I used to be proud I knockd out someones teeth in a fight years ago and then I get the godsmack. Be HUMBLE is wat ive learned.

Will I be able to fight after having air bubbles removed from my brain and this cranium fracture?

13. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I sincerely doubt you'll be able to find a physician who'd advise it. It's not a good idea for young, uninjured people with proper headgear to engage in long-term, full-contact fighting. I know that's not what you wanna hear, and I'm sorry to state it to you, but I'm quite confident that is the advice you'll receive. :(

It doesn't mean the end of training, light sparring, coaching, or teaching though. :)

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I know that Dan Henderson has removable teeth, he wears falsies for pics etc but still wears some form of gumshield whilst fighting.

15. righty

righty Valued Member

Ouch.

Technically you will be physically able to fight but you might not get through the medical check and who knows what risks are associated with that. Really that's a question for a doctor.

Nice ct by the way. But you might want to blame me out your name :)

16. minamo9

minamo9 ファイター

When I read this I was like, 'just take them out'. Then I read the post and realized it were only a few fake teeth.

I'd go see a doctor indeed, maybe get a custom mouth piece made allowing you to fight :3

17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I go tomorrow to follow up new catscans of my skull. Doc said the fractures of the skull aren't severe so that's good. Worried bout my forearms / wrists now

18. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My first advice would be to talk to your doctor/dentist about options. My second bit would be to always let training partners know of any concerns.

Your case is very different than any I've run into. We've had people with (removable) false teeth (some uppers, some lowers, and some both). They did well by taking them out to spar. Our students with removable false teeth did not compete beyond a school level, so it wasn't a big deal. I would presume you would still want some sort of mouthguard that fits when the teeth are out if you were to go against people you didn't know at a higher levele of competition.

All the best!

19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Do you have to continue full contact fighting? I mean is it a career or is it for fun? How much do you benefit from continuing to full contact fight? You seem to have been doing it for some time. How much more do you learn from each additional fight? Can you learn equally useful things about your art another way?

In martial arts there is often a “suck it up mentality.” This is fine until you do something that actually causes permanent injury. I speak out of personal experience - I had to change the way I practice my kung fu due to a hang gliding injury. None of us get any younger, none of us is invulnerable.

Note I am not saying that you must stop the full contact. I am just asking whether you have considered stopping and if you might be able to continue your art in a way that is less destructive to your body, that would mean that you could ultimately train harder for longer.

20. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

^thank you both for your input. I was making good progress in my 'fighting career' and i would hate to have it cut short. Cant imagine not being able to fight yet but I would never quit martial arts