Frodocious's Fabulous Female Fitness Frenzy

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Frodocious, Aug 28, 2011.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

My Dad also has a bad back and I usually tell him to go for a walk. It usually helps. I hope your back pain goes soon.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Thanks folks. My back is allowing me to do general exercise. I won't be doing BJJ for the next couple of weeks, at least - it's bending over, twisting and being scrunched up at awkward angles that is likely to make it worse.

23/07/16

Morning Session

1 mile walk

Mobility Drill 1

Standing One-Arm Landmine Press
    2x5 10kg
    1x3 10kg
    1x5 11kg
    1x5 13kg
    1x12 16kg

Overhead Press
    5x3 21kg

Dumbbell Bench Press
    2x15lb
    5x5

Inverted Ring Row (feet raised)
    5x5

Evening Session

Run 4.mins 30 secs/ Walk 2 mins
    Run 1 mins/ walk 2 mins

Did 1 mile

Short run to see if my ankle coped. It was a little tight the next day

24/07/16

Morning Session

1 mile walk

Mobility Drill 2

Squat
    14kg 1x5
    17kg 1x5
    19kg 1x3
    23kg 1x5
    26kg 1x5
    30kg 1x5

1 Leg Deadlift
    15lb dumbbell
    5x5

Barbell Good Morning
    10kg 5x5

Barbell Glute Bridge
    45kg 5x5

Deadbugs
    5x5 - 2 leg version

Suitcase Carries
    35lb
    3x30 secs

Evening Session

30 mins stationary bike - varied resistance.

If anyone is interested, I am running a modified Wendler 5/3/1 programme at the moment. I'm doing 5/3/1 for the main lift each day, then tweaking the assistance work to deal with my chronic injury issues.

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

FWIW, my physio assigned me the (yoga) bridge pose and pelvic tuck when I tweaked my lower back. (both are on youtube) Works for me! :) I also use a heating pad and arnica gel when it's particularly annoying (not too often nowadays). Keep up the good work! ~hugs~ :)

4. Frodocious

I do similar exercises as part of my mobility work and I use my heat pad regularly.

25/07/16

Football Bar Bench Press
    1x5 11kg
    1x5 13kg
    1x3 16kg
    1x3 18kg
    1x3 21kg
    1x7 24kg

Rear Delt Raise
    15lb x2
    5x5

1 Arm Dumbbell Row
    35lb
    1x5

Had to cut workout short because of elbow pain

26/07/16

Run 4mins 30 secs/ Walk 2 mins
    Run 1 mins/ walk 2 mins

Did 1 mile

5. Frodocious

27/07/16

30 mins stationary bike - varied resistance.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Wow that sounds boring.:p

7. Frodocious

It is pretty boring, but I put some music on, which helps a bit!

30/07/16

Morning walk
    ~1 mile

Evening Run

Ran for 5 mins
    then

walk 2 mins, run 1 min to complete ~1.5 miles

then finished off with ~ 0.5 mile walking

31/07/16

Morning Session

~1 mile walk

Mobility Drill 1

Deadlift
    1x5 29kg
    1x5 37kg
    1x3 44kg
    1x3 51kg
    1x3 59kg
    1x3 66kg

Pistols (partials)
    5x5

Deadbugs
    2 leg version
    5x5

Evening Session

30 mins stationary bike
    Varying resistances

My back seems to be healing nicely. I'll avoid BJJ for the next couple of weeks though. My elbow is also less painful, so I'll avoid rowing and carries until it no longer hurts.

8. Frodocious

01/08/16

2x5 10kg
    1x3 12kg
    1x3 14kg
    1x3 16kg
    1x12 17kg

Overhead Press
    5x3 22kg

Short session, trying to let my elbow recover.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Hey frodo, sorry to barge in! I was wondering if you could tell me exactly what your 531 protocol looks like in terms of days on/off, how you run your cycles and how you fit it in/plan to fit it around training? I've just started this week and am aiming for 3 days a week max (morning of training days) for 12 cycles of 4weeks doing Mon - squat mpress WED deads bench FRI squats mpress

No idea how I'm going to run it when I'm back at work...

Edit - got my lifts in wrong order and somehow called you Gordon!?! - fixed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  10. Frodocious

I am impressed at being renamed Gordon! :)

I'm running a modified 5/3/1 to allow for my injury issues. At the moment, I'm still using relatively light weights so, in theory, I'm running it as a 4 day a week programme. Day 1 (Saturday morning) is bench day, day 2 (Sunday morning) is deadlift day, day 3 (Monday) is OHP day (but I do them as 1 arm landmine presses) and day 4 (Wednesday) is squat day. I also do a run (or snowboard) on Saturday evening and a cycle on Sunday evening. Tuesday and Thursday are BJJ days (when I'm fit enough to train) or run and cycle days when not doing BJJ. The way I run the programme though is that if I miss a day due to work, social life or injury, I just move that lift to the next available day and reschedule the other lifts accordingly.

So if I miss a Saturday I move benching to Sunday, deadlift to Monday, OHP to Wednesday and Squat to the following Saturday and do that on a cycle. Eventually I get back to benching on the Saturday.

I'm currently tweaking my progamme to use my assistance work to train the other muscles from the lower or upper body schedule. So on deadlift day I do squat assistance work, on bench day I do OHP assistance work, squat day I do dl assistance and OHP day I do bench assistance. I try to get some unilateral work in the assistance programme too.

As the weight gets heavier I will probably have to rethink my plan and maybe drop it to 2 or 3 days a week. As a woman, I also have to plan round time of the month. This currently means taking a few days off training altogether and, because of this rest period, I'm not doing the recovery week.

I did run the programme as a twice weekly version a few years back - doing an upper body lift and a lower body lift at each session.

http://violentzen.com/ has a good spreadsheet that will programme the weight percentages for you.

Have you got the 5/3/1 manual? Beyond 5/3/1 gives a massive number of workout options to let you decide what to do on which days. It has 2, 3 and 4 day a week programme and I think I heard he's working on a new book at the moment.

Hope this make sense and helps!

Love Gordon. ;) :D :hat:

11. Knee Rider

Cheers Gordon! ;)

I do not have the book. I've just done a little reading and picked up the 531 trial app for android.

Would you say it's worth getting? It does seem like a lot of info available online.

Thanks for sharing your training with me. It's interesting to see as I know you are experienced in lifting.

My major concern is recovery and impact on MMA and Jitz: both of which break my body down quite a bit in their own right, especially MMA.

I guess I'll see how I go over the next few weeks and take it from there. There's no way I could follow the volume of workouts you have in a week on top of everything else... I'd be in a wheelchair by September!

12. Frodocious

I will probably need to ramp down my training when I get back to BJJ and when my weights get bigger but, for the time being, I'm coping with the programme. I am tweaking it a bit because the high rep curls and tricep work set off an elbow issue (which probably wasn't helped by armbar work). You may find you need to reduce some of the high rep assistance work too.

The book is worth buying for the large number of variations of the programme it includes. Also I do think that if you are using Jim's programme, you at least owe him the courtesy of paying for the ebook - it's not that expensive

02/08/16

Interval Run

I'm trying to increase my speed a bit so I stupidly thought that I'd do 0.25 mile intervals (and didn't warm up). Managed 1 full one then half a one and finally a 0.1 mile one. I will warm up properly next time and reduce the distance.

13. Frodocious

My back seems to be well on the mend now, but I'm going to give it another couple of weeks before I head back to BJJ - this is nothing to do with wanting to watch as much of the Olympics as is humanly possible (honest Gov)

06/08/16

Morning Session

~ 1 mile walk

Mobility Drill 1

Squat
    14kg 1x5
    18kg 1x5
    21kg 1x3
    25kg 1x3
    28kg 1x3
    32kg 1x3

1 Leg Deadlift
    20lb dumbbell
    5x5

Barbell Good Morning
    15kg 5x5

Barbell Glute Bridge
    45kg 5x5

Deadbugs
    5x5 - 2 leg version

07/08/16

Morning Session

~ 1 mile walk

Mobility Drill 2

Football Bar Bench Press
    1x5 11kg
    1x5 13kg
    1x3 16kg
    1x5 20kg
    1x3 22kg
    1x3 25kg

Dumbbell Overhead Press
    2x20lb
    5x5
    Alternating pronated and neutral grip

Rear Delt Raise
    20lb x2
    5x5

Elbow is still painful, so no pulling moves at the moment.

Didn't do any evening sessions this weekend because the Olympics distracted me. Anyway, watching sport counts as exercise, doesn't it?! :Angel:

14. Frodocious

08/08/16

Lunchtime walk
    ~1 mile

Evening Session

Deadlift
    1x5 29kg
    1x5 37kg
    1x3 44kg
    1x5 55kg
    1x3 62kg
    1x2 70kg
    Switched to mixed grip for the last 2 sets

Pistols (partials)
    5x5

Deadbugs
    2 leg version
    5x5

Elbow is still grumbly.

15. Frodocious

09/08/16

Lunchtime walk
    ~1 mile

Evening Session

Interval Run

2 x 0.25 mile easy warm up.
    5 x 0.1 mile faster. Aiming for and 8 minute mile pace.

16. Frodocious

10/08/16

Lunchtime Walk
    ~1.2 miles

Evening Session

2x5 10kg
    1x3 12kg
    1x5 15kg
    1x3 16kg
    1x11 18kg

Dumbbell Bench Press
    5x3 2x20lb

Short session, trying to let my elbow recover.

17. Knee Rider

Sucks being banged up eh!? My wrist has kept me away since Wednesday last week and my shoulder is aching from the cold... I feel like an old wicker chair. Hope your elbow calms down soon!

18. Frodocious

I have a horrible feeling that at least some of my elbow issue is due to RSI from using a mouse in work and a poorly designed desk set up. :(

19. Knee Rider

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

out of interest do you use any wrist wraps or elbow sleeves when you lift?