[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Training to fight

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Oct 8, 2002.

1. STASH

STASH New Member

Nice, keep me updated.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hey MATT_LIQUID

Keep me posted to- I know lots of people who would like to come and play :D

3. HKD

HKD New Member

thats going to B hard cuz U drew people in because it was a place where discipline wasn't stressed. people that just wanted to have free fighting. i hope things work out 4 U. but if U really want do do this it can B done.

HKD

4. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

stash what do i need to dtart up a simular club?

5. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

i m joining the marines soon and they do bear nuckle fighting
    as part of the training.

6. STASH

STASH New Member

Matt, it wasnt very hard to get this kind of club started. All you really need is a bunch of friends who are into MA but who are openminded and willing to try new things. Dont make the same mistakes I did though. Also, I wouldnt recommend fighting bare-knuckle, atleast not at first, try UFC style gloves.

7. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

STASH do u use any thing on the ground like a mat? i could imagine what a hard take down could do to ones back.

How many members do u have?

Has n e 1 been seriously hurt?

I wont to start Ju Jitsu realy soon is it still worth it?

How long are u r rounds if u have them?

to get list:

2 pairs of gloves
    a few friends
    punch bag

8. STASH

STASH New Member

Hey Matt, ok heres how we do it. We go down to this park just behond my friends house, theres lots of grass so the takedowns arnt that bad, but if you cant find a place like that then definetly get a mat.

We started off with 6 guys but now we have almost 20. Almost all of them have had some sort of MA experience. We got a bunch of Muay Thai guys, a couple TKD, one Karate, some Ju Jitsu, a couple that do MMA systems like ICS. I've noticed that the ones with no MA experience are the ones that cause trouble. I think its a good idea that you take some sort of class, talk to a lot of people, do a lot of searching and find something that you like. We should definetly talk on chat or something.

9. STASH

STASH New Member

Oh, forgot to mention some stuff. We have 3 rounds of 3 minutes. Also, yea, we've had a couple serious injuries, i dislocated two fingers and one went through the skin, pretty painful, was out for a couple weeks after that. My buddy had a couple broken ribs too. Other then that just bruises, scrapes, sprains and the such.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

don't try bare nuckle...i just recieved couple of bruises from y'day sparring... :D if u can spend some bucks then try with head gear too n some mouthpieces(the one boxers uses dunno wat it is called) it's sad i don't hav money to spend on head gears :( so did without it... it's fun too...

-TkdWarrior-

11. STASH

STASH New Member

Oh geez..how could i forget mouthguards. Matt, make sure everyone has a mouthguard, do not let them fight without one.

12. YODA

----- A groin guard would probably be a wise move too :D

13. STASH

STASH New Member

We dont, we take the pain!!! LOL, jk. Groin hits and eye gauging are two things we dont do.

14. YODA

erm....... ok.

You go full on UFC stylee and nobody gets whacked in the spuds? Even by accident?

15. STASH

STASH New Member

Oh sure, accidents happen but what can you do?

(other then buy a groin guard, lol)
    IF someone wanted to wear one we would definetly let them but it hasnt really been a MAJOR problem.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2002
  16. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Just a point on the Marines training. Having attended a Maurico Gomes seminar at RM Condor (Marine barrack in Arbroath) I know first hand that any unarmed training that marines do is either basic and limited (like two days a year) or off their own back in their free time.

I was ****ing myself when I got there and saw the size of those guys, and yeah they were bigger and stronger than me, but I was amazed at how easily I beat some of those guys (and this ain't no ego stroke!).

Thanx

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You might be a better fighter Freeform, but who's got the shinier boots and buttons!? :D

Seriously though, it does surprise me how little hand to hand combat training they have.

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Marines are supposed to never be unarmed, and since the American Marines are trained as shock troops their weaponry is essential. The SAS are trained much more to stay in an area, for up to months at a time, and so receive much more training in unarmed combat.

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm a bit worried that some people here are trying to equate the injuries they've had with realistic training!

This is the exact attitude that gets people like me, a realist, badmouthed by local schools who've never seen me train.

Also STASH, what are you qualifications for running this 'club'. I'm all for realistic training, but there is a slight difference between that and 'thuggery'.

Colin

20. STASH

STASH New Member

In one of the old posts I have all my MA experience listed. If its ranking that your concerned about; i have my black belt in TKD and I've helped instruct class for a while now. However, this program is about integrating, EVERYONE is a student. Its not about ranking. Last night I fought a Wing Chun guy, I won, but barely (thanks to Andrew Green, TKD warrior and Cain for the advice), however I learned a lot from this fight and I might even start learning some of the techniques he used.

This program isnt about "masters" going around telling people what to do. If some grandmaster came and wanted to participate I would treat him the same as everybody else. I know its different from almost any program available now and thats probably why its hard to accept.