[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Training / Padwork

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by CyCloNe, Jun 5, 2002.

1. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

It would be nice to hear what training schedules and padwork you guys go through to prepare for contests.

In terms of training, I dont necessarily refer to 'just' technique and sparring at the club, but what exercise, conditioning and cardio do you work on?

The pads are usually a competitors best friend, but other than the 'usual' routines, what have you found to really get you sharpened up?

2. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We don't prepare for contests, since Choi is officially non-competitive (although you can enter as a freestyler in a contest if you wish) but we do a lot of padword. Some of the drills we use are:

- full focus mitt sparring, arms, legs, weaves, slips and advancing targets
    - focus mitts or shields hands or legs only
    - focus mitts or shields one arm or one leg only
    - focus mitts or shields one side only
    - speed kicking/punching on focus mitts or shields
    - target techniques on focus mitts
    - multiple attackers with focus mitts or shields
    - bump drills with shields
    - stopping kicks with shields
    - full shield sparring with arms, legs, bumps and stopping kicks
    - power techniques on shields

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll remember a few dozen or so more once I've actually posted this.

Hah, I knew it. Okay, a couple of others:

- target punching/kicking against one or two second targets with focus mitts
    - mixed multiple attacker drills
    - closefighting drills (stand actually against the shield and work on elbows, knees, and other close range techniques

Last edited: Jun 5, 2002
  3. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Sounds impressive m8, welcome to the freestyle section btw ;)

'Choi' is not a style or term I am familiar with, could you expand a lil (and of course I dont mean hold your breath and become 3 times your normal size :D )

The pad combos you talk about sound pretty comprehensive. I was thinking of putting together a bit of an article for the site (thats if they like it of course) on padwork, it would appear you have lots to contribute, how ya fixed?

Was gonna take a few photos etc but the more styles we involve the better really. Only factor to consider is make sure they all work towards competition fighting and sparring as yours obviously do.

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Choi Kwang Do, a relatively new martial art (fifteen years old), loosely based on Tae Kwon Do with a healthy dash of scientific analyses, biomechanical principles, and a regularly updated syllabus. Most of the information about it is available on www.choikwangdo.net (not trying to advertise here, for benefit of the supervisors, simply an information resource)

5. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

The site looks good, I will read more into it tomorrow when Im not as tired LOL!

Are seminars held anywhere, Im always interested in experiencing new arts.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We have a few every year, but details are always up on the site. All of the CKD schools should offer trial classes though. I'll let you know when the next UK seminar's coming up.

7. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

Apreciated m8 :)

So, do you fancy perhaps helping on the padwork article with only sporting martial arts in mind?

Could be good

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Pad Work for points.

I just wanted to make a few suggestions on pad work for those who are just getting started on it.

First of all there are some excellent pointers in the MartialArtsPlanet magazine itself on this very subject, so check those out first.

If you are getting involved in competitions for the first time, it can never be soon enough. The sooner you start entering, the sooner you start learning, simple as that.

Preparation is 9/10ths of the law. You have to have 200% confidence in every technique you throw, and this is where the pads come in.

I would suggest concentrating on two techniques for initial competition and no more. Train each of these techniques with an offensive and a defensive variation.

Initially train the mechanics of the technique smoothly and slowly. Importantly get your partner to 'spot' for you. Techniques must be as stealthy as possible, so get your partner to react as soon as they see your technique coming. If they can react before you are hitting the pad, ask them what they are reacting to, and eliminate it.
    The pad gives you a solid object to hit, helping to prevent overextension of joints, which can lead to serious injury. It is very important that your padholder keeps weight on the pads. Pads also give you a visual focus to practice your accuracy.
    As your skill develops, get your partner to restrict the amount of time the target is available.
    Get your partner to move in and out of your range so you have to adjust your footwork to keep the technique available.

The temptation is to start blasting away with all sorts of techniques against pads.
    I know an International champion who only really ever worked on one technique!

Let me know if anyone found this helpful, or there are any points you want me to clarify.

Andy

9. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Re: Pad Work for points.

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Kids are much better to tie around than white belts, in fact if you choose the right ones you can simply get someone to hold them as shields.

11. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Accuracy.

If you are training focus mitts, get a pair with dot's in the centre, or paint some on yourself.

Don't just aim to hit the pad, but the dot!

Don't just aim to hit the dot, but the center of the dot!

When you hit the pad, don't be satisfied with a touch.

Aim to move the pad in a particular direction.

Maintain a structured guard at all times while executing all techniques against pads.

How you train, is how you perform!

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Alternatively draw a smiley face on the dot. Or a picture.

13. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

All superb advice (not sure about the smiley faces though :D , perhaps an angry face LOL!)

Talking about the belt around the middle concept, sounds good. Has anyone trained with the 'lifelike' targets, ie the rubber targets shaped in a mans torso and head? I think they look the business but it would be nice to know how good they are to actually work with considering the price tag.

The padwork areas on the site are superb, they were my focus for wanting to produce a more in depth article focusing on the 'spotting' type techniques you are talking about and not forgetting the left - right - bob n weave training (Im sure you know what Im talking about).

Keep the ideas coming :)

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

We used to have one, it belonged to a friend of mine and we used to train on it. Unfortunately the head fell of after about a year.

15. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

So is that a good thing or a bad thing? :D

16. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I'm not sure. Either we've got good tecniques, or they're badly made. Personally I think that they're well-made. :)

17. CyCloNe

CyCloNe New Member

LOL! Honesty is a desireable asset :)

Since working on the Kickboxing training methods I cannot believe just how much it hurts in terms of pad work compared to the traditional TKD padwork I am used to.

For instance, we hold an impact pad on our left thigh, your partner comes in with a short sharp strike to the inside of the thigh to distract and then a hard shot to the outside with the oposite leg. Talk about pain!!!

I suppose its what we have to get used to and is partly body conditioning as well as padword, but it doesnt stop it hurting :(

18. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Hmm, I knew there was a reason we always hold pads at arms length and away from the body.