[Freestyle/Sporting MA] top 3 martial arts mix

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by MATT_LIQUID, Oct 23, 2002.

1. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Hi guys what do you think is the best mixture of martial arts? (the 3 that mix best together).

I think it would have 2 be Ju Jitsu, Boxing and Judo.

Peace out

MATT

2. Kat

Kat Valued Member

I think it comes down to what you want out of it.
    Currently I do Shooto, Wrestling and Ba Gua Zhang.Although previously I had done Muay Thai and Boxing when I was young and certianily think that they are great all round arts.
    After that I think its about the intensity that you train at.

3. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm top 3 martial arts... policitcal correct answers is they can't exist.. how can u judge a MA... :D yup i m tryin to get into politics..
    big bucks there ;)
    but my answer would be..
    it depends upon the choice u hav first if u want any art which gives u flexibility, strength n long term benefits u tend to go into internal styles...
    if u want somethin which works on totally self defence then u tend to go for external styles which can be easily learnt in minimum time so internal styles will not much of help...
    if u need medals n certificates u tend to go with arts that r in sports...they'll keep u fit n healthy too...
    so wat's the deal...it's again came down to the person...Doh... why i end up here always ... m really confused ...i think i need break...
    -TkdWarrior-

4. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

Strange combo, but I like the mix of Aikido (throws), jujitsu/judo (grappling)..and Aikijitsu (strikes and takedowns). They complement each other very well, resulting in a well-rounded combat/self-defense style.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Aikido, Sombo and Thai Boxing. I think that covers all ranges/weapons. I'll probably have changed my mind by tommorrow!

Thanx

6. stump

stump Supersub

I'm assuming you're talking about for overall combat application and covering all ranges.

I'd say Muay thai, submission wrestling or equivalent and one of the Filipino martial arts....you've got the best in striking, grappling and weapons in those three.....imo of course

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I was thinking purely unarmed combat. Maybe I'd replace aikido with a weapons system (ooh, sounds v. Star Trek :) ).

Col

8. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Ok then what 3 would be the best if you were to be entering in ufc.

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

MATT that's cheating... :p
    well i'll prefer Gracie JuJutsu then... Tkd with my current teacher..
    no third art needed...
    -TkdWarrior-

10. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Could I be so naive as to say something like... Hapkido, Ninjitsu, and BJJ? Weird to say the least, I know. Or you could take out the Ninjitsu in place of JKD - still results in a veerrrry well rounded fighter that is completely proficient at all ranges in all situations, assuming that the instructions given in all styles is excellent.

And no, I'm not forgetting the weapons system - at higher levels Hapkido covers a ton of weapons fighting, and Ninjitsu as well earlier on.

Sweeet.

11. stump

stump Supersub

IN the case of preparing for an NHB match I'd say, Muay thai, Shoot/submission wrestling and BJJ.

12. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

The Best....hmmm, I count none as better than the other, but a good mix would be....I think... wing chun Kung-fu, Kickboxing, and brazilian jujitsu. This is because you'd be an excellent close range fighter even if you're in a small area, not only that but you'll be able to fight from a longer range as well, so u'll be ready at any range, and if things get down and dirty, then you know how to haddle the situation on the ground as well. So, that would be a good three I'd say. But there are several others. Yet this remains my choice:D

13. stump

stump Supersub

OK this may not go down well with some people......

I think it's fair to say that only a few martial arts have had any success at NHB level....which is why I would not recommend arts such as Wing Chun (kung fu at all actually), aikido, karate or taekwondo etc, etc, etc

I think 39 UFCs have shown that the most suited striking art to no holds barred fighting is muay thai. Ditto grappling and BJJ, shoot or submission wrestling.

THe origonally mentioned arts are excellent but in my views rely on one of two assumptions -

1, you're fighting someone of the same style

2, you're fighting someone with little or no experience of martial arts and they are not aware you have

you put them up against another trained fighter in a limited rules situation and you're going to see their limitations pretty quickly.

Anyway just my opinions

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree with you partly stump, many traditional martial artists would fail in a NHB fight because there very nieve about there abilities. It doesn't matter what style you train, if you want to fight NHB, you have to train especially for that. In some ways a NHB fight is as different from a street fight as a touchy feely competition fight.

Muay thai is a powerful striking style but consistantly fails against anybody with reasonable grappling skills. And its debatable how effective it is tagging some grappling onto an art like muay thai as opposed to an art which compines grappling and striking techniques.

I train in Wing Chun, but its closer to JKD than traditional WC. Its true what you say, when we practise the traditional way you can see the weaknesses and how it would be useless against a good NHB fighter. I've trained a while in kickboxing and judo and I thought that was pretty valuable experience to practice things I already knew and learn a few bits and pieces.

15. stump

stump Supersub

my experience of Jujitsuka who don't specifically train striking is that their strikes are below par. I know, I know sweeping generalisation but my experience nontheless. I'll bet in the better grappling clubs this has been addressed by now.

Proper cross training doesn't involving tagging anything on to anything, though I know a lot of people do that. It involves planned structured training in both martial arts plus separate time to put them together.

The other advantage of Muay thai, aside from it's striking is that practicioners are much better conditioned and fitter as a rule than other martial artists so they'll absorb damage better.

16. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

But thats what often happens when people cross train and they might think they know grapping and striking, but they've never been taught how to put the two together. So how effective is it?

I agree with you about Jujitsuka, I've trained at two clubs and neither seemed to be good enough at striking. I was disapointed with grappling there as well. It seemed to concentrate more on strength than technique. Maybe I just chose wrong clubs to go to.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2002
  17. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Submisson Wrestling , Mauy Thai & Arnis

18. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Frank and Ken Shamrock use submission wrestling dont they? and their both legends in their own rite.

19. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Y yes the Shamrocks do

I'm a big fan of Both Ken & Frank.

There are alot of good
    Submisson Wrestlers out there
    Sakuraba is another verry talented one.

20. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

A quote from Franks Website

The first question answered was, "Do martial arts work?" The answer was a resounding YES. Martial arts training was touted as being able to give a person the ability to overcome a larger, stronger opponent. Many doubted that this was true. Yet when the world watched 155-pound Royce Gracie continually humiliate and defeat opponents outweighing him by as much as 50 pounds, the public had no choice but to become believers.

The second question answered was, "What is the BEST martial art?" The answer was again indisputable: NONE. Martial artists from a myriad of different backgrounds and styles fought in these events, and it was clearly demonstrated that there is no superior martial art; there are only superior practitioners.

The next question was, "Did Bruce Lee know what he was talking about?" The answer was: You betcha! More then 30 years ago, Lee incurred the wrath of the martial arts community by insisting that it was a mistake to rigidly adhere to the teachings of a single style or system. Lee insisted throughout his adult life that martial artists should take advantage of opportunities to train in many different styles and ultimately develop a personal style as a form of self-expression.

This was quickly proven by the experiences of the early fighters in mixed events. Suddenly, it was not uncommon to see a tae kwon do stylist grappling, or a grappler delivering a Thai hook kick. Martial artists who were highly trained in one style were quick to learn the weaknesses inherent in their system, and fill in the gaps by training in other martial arts. Practitioners who were highly skilled in their respective arts realized they needed to familiarize themselves with other systems so they could defend against them and develop effective counters. Fighters also immediately understood the need for cross training, such as weight training for strength, stretching for flexibility, and drills for speed and precision.

In short, the martial arts community got a much needed reality check. And the ultimate result was the birth of a new martial art. In fact, this martial art is so new that it has yet to be given a name. The public refers to this art variously as "no-holds barred fights," "ultimate fighting," and "mixed martial arts." And in no single individual is this new martial art more embodied than in Frank Shamrock.

Birth of a Legend
    Born Frank Elisio Juarez, Shamrock owes his good looks to his Mexican/ Native American heritage. He grew up in Northern California and ultimately took the name of his adopted father, Bob Shamrock. Fascinated by martial arts his entire life, he began training in a variety of styles at a very early age.

"Let's face it," says Frank. "We live in a world where there are unprecedented opportunities to train. A fisherman in Okinawa had to train with whatever karate master lived near him. He couldn't go to a karate lesson one day, a jiu-jitsu lesson the next, and a boxing gym the day after. We can. And we have fighters who are constantly testing and refining their skills. We have an unlimited pool of knowledge.
    Frank quickly swept the world of mixed martial arts. With five UFC victories and a score of dazzling no-holds barred championships to back him up, he quickly became "The Man." Wherever there were butts to be kicked, Frank Shamrock came riding into town and kicked them all. And according to Frank, he has one, and only one secret. Training smarter

http://www.martialarts.com/martial-arts-articles/shamrock_training.htm