[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Martial arts in the Army/Marines

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by MATT_LIQUID, Oct 22, 2002.

1. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

Hi guys I m going to apply for the marines (UK) in the recent future. Anyways I wont to know if I will be able to do a martial art as a hobby in there (preferably Ju Jitsu)?

2. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

At one point, I wanted to go into the army or the marines:D I even thought about becoming a navy seal at one point. Instead I went to college. Anyway. I don't know much about the military, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to keep martial arts as a hobby. Infact, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to continue training. Ofcourse only if they have what you want to train in avaliable where you are. In any case Matt. I wish you good luck;)

3. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

i need a definate yes or no

4. Dragon_Princess

Dragon_Princess Princess Available

I would give it a definite "yes." Continue with the training as well.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

6. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Yes// Never Quit
    When U find the End of the circle
    It's only the Starting point all over.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Acekicken- I'm sorry, but:- Huh? :confused:

8. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

recent future this is very strange terminology:D

i would think they would let you continue training to be honest.

9. stump

stump Supersub

According to recruitment posters I've seen the're big on letting you continue whatever form of sport you're interested in and seem to go out of their way to assist military personnell who wish to further training. I imagine you'd have no problem.

There was a Royal Marine who used to train with us in Plymouth. Whenever he wasn't on duty or stationed away (N.Ireland, Bosnia etc) he'd always be training intensively with us so I doubt they had a problem with it.

10. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Yes you will be able to train in martial arts while you are in the milatary. The biggest thing to worry about is where you will be stationed after basic training.
    Im in the Navy right now and still attending classes providing that my job does not interfere. Normally wherever you go there is always someone to train with in some form of martial arts.

11. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

If and when I get into my redge I'll continue to train in kickboxing. I can't wait to start competing in it. Hopfuly go pro after 2 years, I was watching 2 world champion kb on Euro sport last night and they didn't seem realy impressive. Most of them seem to keep their chin up too much with guard down plus to add to insult they weren't powerful.

12. oneil357

oneil357 New Member

while you are in you can do whatever sports you want they even have a olympic boxing and judo, i am a ex army ranger and we trained in ju jitzu, i even got to meet/spar with royce gracie didnt last long(straight armlock). GOODLUCK

13. imawimp

imawimp New Member

Off duty, Im sure you can find some sort of training available. In the american military, if your good enough, you can try out for the Army team and compete as your job.

14. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

The US Marines (and many other services worldwide) have devloped their own systems. The UK has very advacned militry I'm sure you would be taught some interesting hand-to-hand combat. maybe something based on Morris Dancing? :p

My sensei, my school founder, and many of my fellow students studied while active duty. Many of my fellow students are currently in the US Air Force.

The opportunity to travel around the world may present training opportunities you could enver imagine.

David.

15. Apache

Apache New Member

Yep, your not the only one who has noticed that. Btw, why do you think Mike Tyson signed with the K-1 organization ... eaasy money.

aPache

16. Scott194

Scott194 New Member

don't quit, I've heard about how the marines have their own branch of martial arts fighters and why would they want you to stop training to be a superior fighter?

DEFINATELY YES