[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Is it possible to chamber against a good wrestler?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Nov 27, 2002.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Not neccesarily, and I'm pretty sure many others wrestlers do not follow that one. In a fight situation, one might have the right arm on the chin, left hand slightly lower. I think you talked about hitting the crotch earlier, but that can be difficult if a wrestler position himself slightly sideways, so that he might slightly face his ribs against you. To have your hands low is like asking to get your face hit.

Right hand can catch incoming blows to head, striking, slapping, good for taking control of head, neck, arm etc. Also protect ribs.
    A wrestler will probably be most scared of having a distance, or a guy going wacko with his arms and feet.

Besides, if a guy goes for the feet (something people rarely does in a fight), you might always hit him in the neck or back with the elbow, and if you fall backwards, one might catch the neck on the way down, tying the opponent up.

2. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

I would think it wouldn't be a good idea to kick a wrestler anyway but that is just my opinion.

3. Splush

Splush Valued Member

Nice thread. Stuff I allready knew. But I was wondering if anyone had anymore detailed information for standup vs. wrestling.

My freinds got in a confertation with wrestlers from our neighboor school, the problem is there is a good chance the groups will run into each other again and I promised to have my mates back if anything happens.

4. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Heh, my friends are always getting me into trouble as well, luckily never with anyone who actually knew what they were doing.

As for standup vs wrestling, assuming you are the striker, your main goal should be to stay on your feet, if you get taken down and don't know enough ground fighting, your basically finished. A key point here would be that the wrestler would need to take you down, thus opening himself up to strikes, unless he has trained in take downs in a similar style to MMA. MMA fighters who focus in ground fighting, train with strikes in mind, while a pure wrestler likely wont. So when they come to take you down, go for a knee to the head,elbow strike, etc depending on their take down method.

5. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

You're not going to land a knee or elbow against someone trying to take you down without practice... your best bet would be to learn to sprawl.

6. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Note I included the fact that some of the methods I mentioned wouldnt be useful against some folks. I understand my chances of landing a knee to a trained MMA fighter would be difficult to say the least, but if its jsut a wrestler, he will likely go for his favorite take down, which he has developed by using on other grapplers, who were not allowed to strike.

I fully realize that this depends on your skill at striking versus theirs at defending, and at takedowns. Sprawling is a bit difficult without training, especially in a actual fight.

...and a tad off topic, the street is usually not concrete, but more commonly asphalt:)

7. Splush

Splush Valued Member

Ya I'v been doin some research and have been reading your guys post, now to imply Im gonna get together with my wrestlin buddies and do so. I've done so before, just to experiment, but I didn't get specific with techniques and drills.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Sure you can chamber against a wrestler.....then he grabs you.....