[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Is it possible to chamber against a good wrestler?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Nov 27, 2002.

1. NorwoodBloke

NorwoodBloke New Member

Cdt

Someone suggested attacking the junction box used in CDT.

When I was at school CDT stood for "craft, design, technology".

Meaning woodwork class!

Which means if you attack that junction box the wrestler will be unable to finish his spice rack!

2. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

They do. If you watch closely you would see that when they lift their thighs, the lower leg is automatically bent because it is relaxed. They use hip power for the drive and the snap at the knee for follow-through.

If there was actually no chambering the leg would be totally straight. It may have some force, but the there would be power loss since the leg is naturally tensed.

3. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Semantically you could say they do "chamber" but they sure as hell don't chamber the way tkd guys chamber.

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Of course I assume you've competed at TKD's (Both ITF and WTF) highest level to corroborate this of course.

Or are you going with what you've seen on TV?

I've never seen, and this is only ridiculous ;) semi contact sparring, anybody "chambering" a kick during a sparring match. We may not clinch but if can read a kick early I'm closing the distance and getting stuck in with the hands.

This thread is old, dead and the same arguments are being re-hashed by all of you.

Anybody got something new & interesting to say? :confused:

5. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

I won a state point sparring championship with a style that uses snapping kicks. That says nothing about their effectiveness.

6. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Funny, this is how TKD people here are taught to ultimately kick. Karate people are also taught the same way.

Why are you mentioning semantics to me. What I am describing here is a valid execution of technique. It works and any who has seen UFC or K-1 has seen it work.

Chambering for a kick is defined as bending the leg to "load up" on force.

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Completly right, it didn't answer the question either.

Do all TKD'ers chamber there kicks? Sorry chief I disagree.

8. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

Will somebody find that roundhouse kick comparison page please?

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Still not my experience. You chamber you get shut down & blitzed or counter kicked.

Things change, roll with the new, then again it's my experience, my opinion.

We could argue back in forth, we're both entrenched.... *meh* ;) :D

10. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Pat Miletich won his share of fights with this "unchambered" kicking technique.

11. Adam

Adam New Member

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Excuse my ignorance but I didn't think Mr Miletich was a TKD'er? :confused:

EDIT From above link

"The following is the typical three steps on executing the roundhouse kick in different styles of Martial Arts, with the emphasis and the merit of each. It is only a generalization, to show that there are different ways of executing a kick for different purposes, and it is not to mean that the specified styles only execute the ways as are written. "

comments?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2004
  13. hedgehogey

hedgehogey Banned Banned

14. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Personally, I don't know. But the topic here is if you can chamber against a good wrestler.

Good link BTW Adam.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2004
  15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Guess I was confused as to why you quoted me then. :D

16. JurassicWarrior

JurassicWarrior New Member

only if you close him off before he can do anything else. I've wrestled so I know it ain't easy.

17. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Again I'm too lazy/don't have enough time to read the whole thread, so I'll just add my thoughts to the mix.

A good shot is from when they are already really close, the level change is straight downward, not at angle. That leg is going to be BETWEEN your legs if they're going for a double, or outside of your lead leg if they are going for a single. That would be really hard to kick, as you would have to move backward while the wrestler is holding onto your leg(s). ;)

My advice: learn to wrestle. Get a good sprawl to defend against shots, but also learn to defend against other takedowns. Yes, there is more than just a shoot tackle. :p

My advice to anyone who wants to defend against grapplers is to learn to grapple. Grapplers defend againt eachother all the time, so if you do some grappling you will learn pretty quickly. Also, work on hand strikes, elbows, and knees after the sprawl.

18. jdavies

jdavies New Member

My advice to anyone who wants to defend against a wrestler/BJJ/shootfighting guy is to watch Mirko CroCop fight in pride. The guy has phenomenal takedown defence and awesome striking skills. He quite often makes wrestlers look stupid, (Mark Coleman,Heath Herring etc) before knocking them out and does the same thing against BJJ guys. So watch CroCop, get some inspiration then get enough grappling experience to defend the takedown so that you can employ your striking skills.

19. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

On chambering, linear kicks need to be chambered to be used effectively and prevent them being easily jammed (side kick, front kick, teep, all use a bent knee to lift the leg into position otherwise they would be classed as rising kicks), circular kicks don't need a chamber in order to work though not many people will kick with a perfectly straight leg, and the degree of chamber is down to stylistic differences and leads to many interesting debates. Within TKD the point of the chamber is to produce a start to your kicks that looks the same no matter what kick you are delivering, however the time taken to kick should be governed by the time it takes to align your knee with the target, this should be the same for chambered and unchambered kicks, you just need to move you lower leg faster in a chambered kick.

I wouldn't advise trying to kick a wrestler as a defence against a shoot, footwork and a good sprawl will be much more effective. Nothing to stop you trying to kick him in the standup phase of the fight, just make sure that you have a good recovery from your kick so he can't come in behind it.

20. Park XsX

Park XsX New Member

i think you should do side kicks and retreat and repeat. that would work if you had some space. if you have lil space you should exicute punches and make sure your not close (grabbing distance)