[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Is it possible to chamber against a good wrestler?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Nov 27, 2002.

1. STASH

STASH New Member

I tried it once and my opponent, a very experienced wrestler took me straight to the ground. Personally I think you get more power out of a kick when you chamber it first but I would rather sacrifice power then get taken down, any thoughts?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Kicking in general is not a good idea against a good wrestler - unless he's almost out of it as in Pete Williams Vs Mark Coleman. (Ouch!)

The key to beating a good wrestler standing is footwork, fast hands, and an extremely good knowledge of HIS game! (Although an Uzi 9mm may help LOL!)

3. STASH

STASH New Member

Oh man...I have clips of that fight on my computer...Coleman didnt see that one coming! LOL

Yea, I would have to agree with you Yoda, kicking isnt that great of an idea against an experienced wrestler (unless its low or part of a combo or something).

I found that the best way to nail the wrestler is simply to A)wait for him to come to you. Before they try to take you down they do a "level change", if you practice you can usually get them in the middle of their takedown with either a knee or uppercut B) keep it at a distance, use the jab constantly
    C) LEARN TO WRESTLE! lol

(I found this spraypainted in the changeroom of the ICS academy)

GOOD SPRAWL+STRONG STRIKES/KNEE ATTACKS=DEAD WRESTLER

4. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Chambering takes no more time than a plain kick, since the speed it adds pretty much cancels out for the extra time.

You can perform an effective kick against someone with no more than about foot of space between you, or less if you don't mind kicking low.

5. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Elbows & Knees , Learn Submissons
    & Save The Kick for him later

6. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

From most of what I've seen of wrestlers they can shoot in real quick,.. but they need to use a lead leg a long way in front of them and can't move it when they come in for the takedown.
    So keep the distance, wait for the shoot then kick that leg on the knee - bye bye knee cap. Or alternately kick the head.

I haven't tried this yet as I haven't done any UFC training but to me it seems a sound approach, although rather permament solution to the problem.

For an attacking kick just try to remove his manuverability first - hurt his legs. If he can't walk he can't shoot - then go for the higher kicks. Don't forget to go for his feet - stomped feet hurt a ****load.

7. stump

stump Supersub

Sprawling is your best bet against someone who wants to take you to the floor. Keeping your kicks low is also a good bet. And learning how to wrestle is also important because if they're worth their salt you are going to the floor whether you like it or not.

8. YODA

Couldn't agree more. :D

9. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I just tried this last night (except there were no kicks).

I had the gloves on, and I was trying to hit guys as they were trying to take me down. I had about 5 guys take me down 2 times each, in the space of no more than 3-4 minutes.

It was much harder than I thought, even when I knew they were trying to take me down. I think the key is a big hit if you can pull it off, side steps, a big kick if they fall short and land on their face during the shoot, and being prepared to go to the ground. :D

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Re: Is it possible to chamber against a good wrestler?

Sorry if being a fool but please explain 'chambering'.

The way I understand chambering of the leg there is no way it's going to have as much power then when you have both feet on the ground.

Maybe I'm just being dumb?? Please correct! :)

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hey tosh the way we get our knees up parallel to ground in tholojogki or abchabuski...is called chambering
    frankly speaking i didn't knew this too before coming to MAP :)
    we TKDist r too ignorant dude..something has to be done :D
    ignorant is not a bliss...
    -TkdWarrior-

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

No, no that is what I thought chambering is but i just had no idea how this could be more powerful than a kick using both feet grounded to start.

Plus why would I want to make it easier for a wrestler to take me to the ground by raising me leg ....

oh no I see...... like this....

13. YODA

LOL!

Crane Technique - No can defense :D

14. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Always made me laugh that the referee looks like the hardest guy in the ring! :D :D

He looks like he wouldn't take any c**p :woo:

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

lol...u r rite tosh spice...
    -TkdWarrior-

16. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

the way i see it...use your hands and attack his face. Uppercuts, knifehands, fistwork in general. I may not be a great wrestler but one none the less, and it is instinctive for us to keep our hands low in order to protect our legs from a takedown. This leaves the face wide open! So hit with a stunner shot such as to the ears or eyes and then let him have it. Oh and if his hands are up high to protect his face, then he's just begging to be taken down himself(and incidentally a bad wrestler so you have nothing to worry about anyway!)

17. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Is it possible to chamber against a good wrestler?

I would say yes. You must "believe" your technique will work if you doubt it dont use it. You could use the chamber as a feint (especially if your more of a striker than a grappler) to try and stop your opponent getting set to take you down. Follow feints with your hands. Also feint with your hands and kick low.

I would tend to go for the front as a stop kick against the grappler who shoots in assuming you've got the range. But at the end of the day I would tend to use my hands rather than kicks.

18. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

Also, i just thought of this, slap him around in the face. Most guys i wrestle just grab your arm and tie up with it. It may only be a split second before they shoot now but for that second their hands are up at shoulder level with yours...fire a kick into the crotch or a knee into the stomach(maybe knee the head as he shoots to your legs?)

19. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

No chance in hell am I going to ground with someone who has more experience (even if poor).

Anyway I would have thought a wrestler would have his hands up near the head and crouching as they prepare for the shoot?? But I haven't a scooby-doo. I'm sure one of the guys will clear that up???

20. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Still don't know why anyone would want too?