[Freestyle/Sporting MA] Any old guys out there?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by StoneDog, Apr 21, 2005.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yea,

koyo is an inspiration, But what I really need to know is how he gets that guys head to disapear up his sleeve in picpost #82 . :eek:

2. ripface

ripface Pil Sung

Hi

Hey Guys,

Was drifting round MAP and came across this thread. An old farts thread? Sounds like the place for me!!

Interesting points on joint pain. I used to suffer from tennis elbow, and pain in my shoulders that got to the point where I could not sleep at nights. Whilst training I seldom felt any particularly bad discomfort, but hours later it would get bad.

I used to go at it 100% whilst practicing my techniques in the air, and whilst doing patterns. I found that easing up on the power helped dramatically. Now I am largely pain free both during and after training. Amazing how easing up just that little bit made such a difference.

I now only use 100% whilst practicing against shields or focus mitts. It works for me!!

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  4. Don'tkillbill

Don'tkillbill New Member

Be forty in March just prior to the 40th bday I'm going to fight in a full contact karate tournament. Hope to go clubing after the fights. Hope the clubs are wheelchair accessible :D

5. koyo

I like your name and the sentiment.

regards Bill koyo

6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Is that you Uncle Bill ? :D

7. timex

timex Valued Member

I'm sorry to say I'd personally take it as an insult--I am older than most of you and as long as I can move I want to continue training!! I don't want people (youngsters) putting roadblocks in my way. Before I started training I thought martial arts was a way of life,now I'm beginning to think its only in the movies. Of course I know different-but training can be a challenge.
    We as martial artists should be able to work with ALL ages and have respect for each other. It's about the art. Sorry about the rant, but had to get it off my chest!

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

i thought i told you to stay in the car :D

nicely said timex

9. Mark Cotton

Mark Cotton Valued Member

LOL>>>>>Everyone younger than me wants to submission grapple with me because I'm "old". Uh, huh...I always tell them after what I've already gone through in life you making me tap is low on my list of issues or priorities.

10. koyo

I shall be giving a six hour seminar this sunday and there shall be aikidoka, judoka, karateka. tai chi and thai practisioners there.The theme is martial arts principles. Many of the guys there are longtime friends who cross train.
    ALL shall be showing respect for the individual and his art. So hang in there. There are still some who respect all martial arts and fellow practisioners.

regards (old) koyo

11. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Fair play to all you seasoned martial artists out there!! keep on, why should your age be a barrier? If you are fit enough to the point where you can take part then who gives a flying shizz about some big number and a few wrinkles! ;) :)

12. koyo

Hi hiroji

Just thought I would let you know that my sons are roadies and every now and then they "knock a group" together and play to get money for kids football teams. Guess who they call on for some "vintage " rock and roll guitar??? And I can still do the duck walk!!!

regards koyo

Attached Files:

13. Hiroji

Thats cooolio! im never going to act my age! im never going to grow old inside...well thats my plan!

Lets help kick ageism out of society!!

14. koyo

You hit it on the head with ACT my age. For it is an act. Immature kids try to act older. Old people try to act young. Drop the act be yourself regarless of age or what is expected of you.

regards koyo

15. Hiroji

i hear you Koyo!

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

^ i like your sig

17. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

So how many of you 'old guys' are still sparring? And how often? I seem to be doing it less and less, but don't like to think I've given up

18. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Still kicking! Just did my first tournament last weekend. LOL nobody my age or rank so I got to pick on a 17 year old kid! Since I started TKD in March '06, sparring has been a great source of Cardio training, agility training, and a way to test myself. Nice to know the skill set I acquired from my Law Enforcement/Self Defense training has not deteriorated! I may have slowed a bit but that is it!

19. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

We spar every class. It's my favorite part of the day! :D

20. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I still go down to the local dojo on Saturdays to spar. I compete every blue moon, like later on this month :)