Freestanding bag

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Jack, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Any idea where I could get a decent free standing punchbag for about £100 or less?

I've seen a few, but always in the range of £150-250.

Failing that, does anyone know any decent methods to make a freestanding bag of one's own? :)

Thanks.

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I think you answered your own question there mate. If you've only seen them for 150 and up, then you aren't gonna get a decent one for any less.

3. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

What is a good brand for a hanging bag? I'm looking for a 120# or heavier bag to hang in the home gym. Thanks.

4. Bob1770

Bob1770 Valued Member

Save your bucks and get a BOB, you won't regret it. So much better than trying to visualize your target on a regular bag. Or buy the Century free standing base and bag (Wavemaster) and add BOB later, as he fits the same base.

5. Lucius

Lucius Valued Member

are those things any good?
    They seem like the ideal solution for folks with no room to hang a bag, but I've heard they are not great for heavy hitters.
    Anyone got one care to let us know how they are?

6. HammerFist

HammerFist New Member

I had an Everlast freestanding bag. Took it out of the box, filled the base with water, put the bag on and gave it a kick and almost knocked the thing over. So I took the bag off, emptied out the water, put it all back in the box and took it back.

I got a hanging bag for $35 at a thrift store. The Bob does look like fun though.

How to make a freestanding bag. I just came up with this idea so take it for what it's worth.

Materials:
    A wash tub
    quick mix concrete
    a 4x4
    a bunch of foam, padding and stuff.
    2 rolls of duct tape.
    a friend

Directions:
    Have your friend put the 4x4 in the wash tub and hold it.
    Pour all of the dry cement into the wash tub.
    Mix in some water and let it set.
    wrap all your foam and tape around the post.

VIOLA! a free standing heavy bag.

7. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Freestanding bags have a tendency to get knocked over unless you REALLY weight them down. You're much better off with a hanging bag.

What do you do when you want to take a bath? :eek:

8. HammerFist

HammerFist New Member

I don't know, I have a hanging bag. :D

9. Bob1770

Bob1770 Valued Member

That is a bob in my avatar, he's mine, and he works. The base is filled with sand, the new ones are slightly wider than the originals, but my instructor has an original BOB (I have the new version with the shorts). My instructor holds black belts in both TKD and HKD, and he loves his BOB. The plastisol that the body is made from is as tough as it gets, and the base is well designed. If you were to buy say a smaller model for aerobics, than yea, it may be a concern, but if you buy the BOB, you won't knock it over. Buy the real deal made by Century, I cannot speak for any others as I have not tried them. My instructor also has a hanging bag that sits in the corner and collects dust. You won't be dissapointed int he Century product.

10. Athleng Nordic

I've seen that stand and I like except the bags only go to 100#. I want something heavier. Although the stand dies have a speed bag head on the back side.

11. xxblackkatxx

xxblackkatxx The Gimpy Taekwon Monkey!

commenting on the whole wavemaster thing, fill it with gravel, it makes it a crap load heavier than it would be if it were filled with water. only problem is if you wanna move it, it makes a heck of a lot of noise ^_^.

i'd personally choose a freestanding bag over a hanging any day. perhaps i'm just used to them, but i think i like the fact that you can move it around as opposed to just having one set spot is a good thing, and i just hate how hanging bags swing after a hard hit.
    unless its bolted in the ceiling and the floor, then it'd probably be a 50/50 choice for me.
    :D
    -Kat =^.^=

12. Athleng Nordic

I'll be able to move a bag once I get one I'll have to triangled on three chains through 4x6's that will be in the rafter in the garage. I'll be able to place it where I want and move it later if need be.

13. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Thanks for the recomendations.

The problem is, I'm very busy with studies and don't have time for work at the moment, so money is a definite issue. And the reason I'd like a freestanding bag is the absolute lack of space in this house...

Hopefully, Santa is feeling pretty generous with cash this year. Failing that I'll have a shot at making one. :)