Freedom of speech (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by dtrip, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtrip

dtrip New Member

I find the fact of moderators butting in and closing threads
    just because they feel like it totally unacceptable.

I mean KickChick closing Bograt's "Put up" thread in the "General discusion" forum :woo: :woo: :woo:

I actually wanted to say something about it, because the guy is more or
    less right, first many people say things that they cant back up ("my uncle
    defeated a whole village but I cant talk very much about it"), second a
    12 yo couch potato can easily flame a 50 yo KF sifu and leave everyone
    with a doubt, and the third thing that ****es me off is like

"Please post incidents of real life fights you had"

and the replies are like

"One time I floored those two guys"

"My friend was getting beat up by FIVE guys and I had to jump in
    to save him" (which of course was a piece of cake, as is any
    ratio below 1/4)

..etc etc...

Whats going on, all winners in this site ? I guess the thugs who always
    take the beating are too dumb to use computers and write about it !

Plus, Ms KickChick, what qualifies you to decide, on behalf of all of us,
    that its not possible to post videos, thus closing the thread down ?

Just my unworthy lowly regular-user opinion.

2. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

just because you have a problem, doesnt mean anyone else does. I personally think KC is a great Administrator here, and yes Ive been onther other side and she ALWAYS been fair, but firm.

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Bograts thread has been reopened. It was closed merely for a few minutes for good reason.

As Administrator (and thus Owner of this site) I can within reason make any decision I choose to.

Since the thread was reopened you are all free to go and reply to it.

Thank you SP ....

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Looks like this comes under "Moderation Dispute" -

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

hey, when KC just said "owner of this site" I just thought to my self.

Who created MAP in the first place? who really "owns" it, like provides web space?

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Because (a) She's a freaking ADMIN, and (b) the thread was a blatant personal attack against several posters whom the original poster had issue with.

7. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

You don't have a right to free speech, you don't even have a right to post on the forum. It's a courtesy that is extended to you by the owners of the forum. Just as when you're a guest in somebodies house the only rights that you have are to respect their rules or get out.

You do have a right to set up your own forum. It may be a lonely experience for you though.

8. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

Hmm.. I find KC normally doens't put her foot down unless there is the necessity for her to do it...
    I m also mod at 3 different site(1 kf too).. sometimes its not as easy to take decisions

-TkdWarrior-

9. Sever

Sever Valued Member

If you have a problem with the way the site's being run, just email Yoda, I'm sure he'll be more than happy to refund your registration fee... oh, hang on... :rolleyes:

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

[​IMG]

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

It's normally because it is unacceptable.

If you dislike threads being closed down, then keep them clean and within the Terms Of Service.

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Oh I see. You're a member of MAP for less than a week and you're suddenly qualified on how the Forum is Moderated and Administrated.

Good start!

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

[​IMG]

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

pwn'd!!!!

lol

15. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Yoda... Are you REALLY that FUGLY mate ? :p

KickChick, Hmm anyone that HOT can do as she pleases in my book (admin or not) :)

BTW there's no such thing as freedom of speach in the world anymore.

Political Correctness gone mad.

Regards

16. dtrip

dtrip New Member

SilatPupil:
    No, closing threads is not only my problem, it is a community problem
    (at least thats what I thought, I dont see anybody else disagreeing with
    it :S ).

JohnyX
    32 yo IT professional here, so when you are addressing to me please dont
    refer to forum administration as some top-secret NASA job that only a
    few select people get to do.

BillG + Sever:
    You have a point, "unacceptable" was too much because it implies demanding,
    which of course I didnt, I just commented. They have the final word I never
    doubted that, just as "Rule 5.3.1." mentions (thank you Anth perhaps
    you want to be my attorney in this, I think I ll need one :D )

Yoda:
    In other forums many times newbie has been. As an example, here is a
    successful popular forum which doesnt get hysteric about rules:
    http://www.rcgroups.com

Remark: Its not a compliment to the MA community the fact that it
    actually acknowledges the need of administrators to "save it from itself".

17. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

dtrip, why do I get the impression you like making trouble

The reason these ppl are admins here are because they have been the ppl who either started the site or have been on it for a while. I agree with one of the admins here, you have only been a week on this site and you start critizing it ? What, does you being a 32 yr. old IT professional put you above an admin because you know about computers ? And it could be, if you wait a while, that you could actually become one of these admins yourself, as I've the impression they actually don't take it as if its a top-secret NASA job. Patience doesn't seem to be your strong point, is it ?

If you want a site that has administrators who think they are there to save the site from itself go to this web site: www.cyberarmy.net If you want to meet some real ego maniacs at work, who only care about the value of the site but not its ppl on it, go there and then come back here and complain. they even call themselves "staff" there if that tells you anything.

Otherwise have the patience to discover the ppl here, even talk to the admins and topic mods and you might discover they are actually quite friendly ppl and the rules are there for a reason.

Christian

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Thats because unlike yourself, they've been here long enough to realise that the mods and admin only do it when its needed, not whenever we feel like because we get bored waiting for Nip/Tuck to start or something.

If you're going to play that game, I think you'll find Johnny is 43 year old IT Professional (though since when the hell has that mattered?). And he also never refered to forum administration as anything, all he said was you've only been here 5 minutes.

There's a very simple fact to all this - forums don't change to fit the people ranting about it, people gravitate to whatever forum suits them, not register for the first one they come across then whine about it.

If you want another MA forum with more liberal moderation (and they do exist), hit the big red X in the top right hand corner and go find it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  19. dtrip

dtrip New Member

Hello punisher,

Read my other posts to see that I like the people here very much and I despise making trouble. Of course reading only this thread does not exactly prove this :(

I never said the forum is not great or that KickChick is not a good admin or a good person, and Im sure she did what she had to do, with the rules being what they are.

About 32 yo IT stuff: I just didnt like the other guy implying that I should "be nice" since Im only one week old and let him know that Ive been elsewhere and I know what Im talking about.

You are right in that I have created trouble with this thread, to people that did not deserve it. Im sorry and Im not going to reply again to this thread.

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I bet its situations like this where you'd wish as Administrator would step in and close the thread ..... "KC looks around whistling and tapping her foot :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.