Free Virus Protection?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Bozza Bostik, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Anyone got any opinions regarding free virus protection? I finally got around to buying a laptop today and have 2 weeks free of some system, but need to get something else after that.

Any suggestions? And no dirty jokes....Oh, go on then!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I use avast been using it for the last 4 yrs with no problems.. free download and all you do is renew the license every year

3. Bozza Bostik

Yeah - That came up on some pages I scanned. I used to use AVG but I am having problems installing it.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

What OS are you running? Avast has 0 day exploit problems.

Can't go wrong with Avira (best detection rates amongst the free ones and beats a few paid ones too), if you're on 8.1+ MSE is enough. You will need different security options that will better protect you.

5. Bozza Bostik

Win 7 I havent updated it yet...and kinda reluctant too.

MSE?

Ah,yeah - I was using Avira before, not AVG.

6. CrowZer0

Also if you're having issues installing every time I build/format/fix a PC my go to website for one click install is www.ninite.com you click on what you want download and it auto installs without any additional spyware and bloatware.

7. CrowZer0

MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials, but on 7 I believe it is Windows Defender, really depends on your usage Bozza, do you do a lot of dodgy, pirate downloads and visit dodgy sites and click weird links and open spam emails?

First step would be to use either Chrome/Firefox variant and make sure you have Adblock plus installed to prevent spam or bad links, you can also install things live flash blocker.

If you don't do a lot of dodgy stuff and don't remember the last time you had a virus/malware that was found by an antivirus or ruined your PC, you can stick with MSE OR Windows Defender (same thing). Install malware bytes free because malware is the real problem and just scan that every two weeks or so. Malwarebytes Anti Exploit is also good for blocking your browser from malicious and 0 day problems.

If you do want a free AV that isn't MSE, Avira is top followed by Avast.

If you are as paranoid as me you will follow additonal steps around once a month.

1. Run Rkill- Rkill kills malware services, and removes some bootkits.
    Rkill prevents viruses and malware from closing Antivirus and Antimalware processes.

2. Run JRT - JRT removes threats that reside in your browser, as well as addon greyware. This tool can restore lost browser performance due to infections.

3. Run AdwCleaner - Adwcleaner works similarly to JRT. Adwcleaner has a larger target that goes deeper than browsers, and can find some pestky infections. A restart is always required.

4. Run RogueKiller - (Green Entries are ok)
    Roguekiller is a rogue task and rootkit remover. With very powerful detections, this tool is often closed by malware processes. It is highly recommended that you run Rkill before RogueKiller, to ensure proper detection.

5. Run Malwarebytes scan.

6. Run full Antivirus scan.

7. Restart computer.

Hope that helps.

The reasons why MSE or Windows defender is generally enough is because with Anti Exploit, and Malwarbytes, you're protected, and you can just run free scans online from F-Secure or ESET NOD32.

Out of the premiums it would be Bitdefdner/Kaspersky/ESET NOD32.

Also the best thing you can do for security is just don't run on the Admin account. Create a new account with "normal privileges" and use that for everything. That way system files can't be accessed or changed without your password.

8. Bozza Bostik

Ok cool thanks.

So all those things (RKill and onwards) are just software thingies? I honestly don't know much about PCs etc.

9. CrowZer0

Yes I could link them but Google should take you to a download. If you're not doing a lot online and just browsing just go with an AV malwarebytes and malwarebytes anti exploit. You can use the others if you're suspicious of something.

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Next time buy a Mac. :)

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I like avg - you can normally download a full version from the avg site for a free months trial. When the moth is up it automatically asks if you want to pay you say no and click the uninstall and it gives you the option to use a cut down free version which includes virus protection but doesn't include a few of the optimizing tools and only updates once a day. (Usually fine for a home user)

i think my brother in law who is in the programming business uses Kaspersky. He uses the paid for version but i think they do a similar thing to avg after your months free trial.

12. Bozza Bostik

Don't you start on about bloody Macs again *shakes fist* :p

Gonna get one next time I think. Probably a bit cheaper in the long run.

13. Bozza Bostik

I did find it amusing that you asked if I go to dodgy sites (Me? As if...!) but you do a pretty full on clean up yourself there.

It's ok, we're all friends here. :p

14. CrowZer0

Oh I regular on many dodgy sites. I deal with a lot of shady people and I have bitcoins and dogecoins to protect! Just yesterday I was dealing with packet sniffers on my 2.4ghz band.

15. CrowZer0

Any AV Lab tests will show you that Avira trumps all the free ones. AVG hasn't been good for years. If you are looking to buy you can pick up keys for Kaspersky or Bitdefender at around £2. But really there's no point.

16. CrowZer0

Don't know why it wouldn't let me edit my last post to add more... I was going to add you can rotate free trials of premium products. Kaspersky for a month, Bitdefender next, ESET next. All you need is an email address (doesn't even have to be verified). You can keep rotating.

17. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

And have access to over 5% of the software you can get on a PC !
    :bang:

18. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Holy Crow!

You'r OCD when it comes to computer clean up!

Might as well teach him about VPNs, anonymous browsing, SSL, and Tor. :wow::D

19. CrowZer0

I prefer perfectionist to OCD. Baby steps he must walk before he can run. I'll have him a fully fledged member of lulsec in no time!

But before all that he needs to know about maintenance and service optimizations and getting rid of bloat ware.

20. CrowZer0

He should also first probably change his DNS to something more efficient than what his ISP has put him on.