Free Standing Bag v.s Heavy Bag

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Seventh, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Hello!

I am experiencing a predicament right now. As some of you may know, I am out of martial arts for the next 3 months due to my parents decision to keep me out of it due to my recovering of a broken arm. I've managed to negotiate with them to help me buy a punching bag.

Now I am currently stuck between 2 items, a heavy bag and a free standing bag, which I will link below.

Heavy Bag + Stand:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...40603P/Ringside+Heavy+Bag+Stand.jsp?locale=en
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...40639P/Century+100-lb+Heavy+Bag.jsp?locale=en

Free Standing:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Freestanding+Heavy+Punching+Bag.jsp?locale=en

I have several issues and guidelines both my parents and I have considered.

My parents guidelines are:
    - Cannot be any drilling of the walls or ceiling, as the drywall and the banisters located above the ceiling tiles are not made to handle heavy bags.
    - Must keep the structure of the house intact
    - Can't be in the garage, as it is currently being occupied by the two cars, as well as gardening and other misc. equipment.

My personal guidelines are:
    - I want to work combinations on it, full force, both hands and legs, head and body shots.
    - Can't be too flimsy, and generally has to provide a challenge to me.

The heavy bag pretty much meets all my conditions, and I can abide by my parents guidelines by getting a heavy bag stand in which to hang the bag from. However, the main issue is that both bag and stand together, ignoring gloves and wraps for a moment, is utterly expensive. The cheapest deal I can find goes for roughly 300 dollars, not including tax.

The free standing pretty meets all conditions, but I have a few issues. First off, I have a bad experience with these kind of bags. In the past when I've hit them during TKD, they've wobbled and kinda flopped around. Even jabbing at the bag seemed to make it quite unsteady. To be fair, those bags were quite light (70-90lbs roughly?), and this free standing bag is much heavier, but I still have this irrational hesitance. Secondly, I'm also slightly doubtful if I can work both hand and kick combinations. I've mostly seen these bags used for the conventional purpose of kicking.

So that's my predicament MAP. Thanks in advance!

~Seventh

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Have you checked Craigslist? You can usually find cheap boxing equipment locally. Is a wall mount for a heavy bag out of the question?

3. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

Hanging bags are way more durable. I wouldn't be surprised if you destroyed a free standing bag before the three months are up. I don't think I've ever had one that lasted that long without needing some serious repairs.

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I have to second the hanging bag. Even if you have to set up a way to hang it without rigging it to the joists of the ceiling/house. Even if you have to get the metal frame work to support it... the bag will wear out long before the framework... so amortized over the life of your training... your metal framework will outlast you most likely and thus will be relatively cheap.

Take a look around at the different types of frames and wall mounts you can get for a hanging bag there are many variations - you might come up with one that's used that does the job. The free standing bags pretty much rule out low kicks which is a big drag.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's always trees as well.

[​IMG]

6. Get yourself a good hanging bag... :)

Osu!

7. liero

liero Valued Member

As above.

When the option is availiable always go the hanging bag.

Try and get a REAAALLLYY big heavy one not the cheap half length ones that you get at the local variety store.

8. liero

liero Valued Member

As above.

When the option is availiable always go the hanging bag.

Try and get a REAAALLLYY big heavy one not the cheap half length ones that you get at the local variety store.

9. Seventh

My parents don't like Craigslist. Also, yes, I have a drywall, and trying to mount a bag on the wall would not fair well. I myself have accidentally put a few holes in the wall by accidentally hitting it.
    Alright, thanks!
    Haha, yeah, I've thought of that too, but the only tree on our property is
    an apple tree. The thing flops around in the wind, and judging by the thinness of the branches, I doubt the tree could support the weight of a 100lb bag.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

how would digging a big hole in the garden go down?

thats my plan, i'm digging a big ol' hole setting some box section stainless steel in it with quick set and mounting the bag (and a chin up bar) from it.

i got the steel scrap for free as i went and picked up and digging a whole is a pretty fun too.

or

what about mounting it on the outside of your house?

11. Seventh

My father gets ****ed off when rodents dig little holes in the backyard. I highly doubt he'll fancy me digging a huge hole in the middle of the garden.
    Sadly, this literally can't work either. The only place I can think of is in this little passage that leads to our backyard, and the ground is covered in little rocks, which isn't best for the ankles. I've nearly injured myself several times running/maneuvering over it. Plus, it's a little passage, so with the bag inside, there isn't exactly a lot of space for me.

Thanks guys for helping me out though, I appreciate, and I apologize for being so difficult.

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's too bad. You can find some excellent deals there. I just looked at mine and I can score a heavy bag, stand, and speed bag for $100. Even if your old man goes with you to pick the stuff up, you don't think they'd be willing?

If you use a wall mount, you can simply mount it to the studs in a wall with a piece of wood in between and some tinkering. It's a bit more in-depth than a simple hanging though, so if you or your old man aren't too handy then you might have to look elsewhere.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

What about building a frame yourself?

Kind of like these:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQy-RFJZEww"]How to Make a Kicking or Punching Bag Stand - Freestanding - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.rosstraining.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30756

or even using a child's swing frame to hang it from.

14. Seventh

Nope, my old man has this vehement distaste for Craigslist.

Also, my family are not handy, at all. Trust me on this. My father is only handy when it involves server racks, opening up computers, and other various technological hands on stuff.

Right now, I'm looking at a boxing gym, since I can still hit a heavy bag for a much cheaper price.

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Heavy bag. Look in your local shops if they have advertising cards and check those. Look in local free papers that are funded by ads and check those. There are lots of sources beyond Craig. Heck, go down to a local gym and ask if they have an old one you can buy cheap and wrap in gaffer tape.

As for hanging it, trees, frames, ceiling beams etc etc are all possible. Again, get creative; can you go work to raise the money for a stand, or work somewhere that has the metal then work for a welder? Imagine how impressed your parents would be with your gumption and ingenuity if you could make that work?

And as an obvious point, you do TKD, your broken arm doesn't matter as punches are fo fools dawg! ;)

Mitch

16. Seventh

Excellent advice, thanks!
    Me, welding?! I don't think that's such a good idea, I have a habit of messing up anything I touch. Besides, I can't even go for my drivers license yet due to my age. I don't think a welder would take me lol. I do appreciate the advice though.
    This is why you're amazing!

17. Mitch

"Mitch, making the Amazing everyday"

Good grief, if any of my students see that they'll laugh me off the Internet :D

I didn't mean go and weld, I meant do dogsbody work for a welder in return for them welding the box-section steel you earn from the metalworker/industrial supplier by doing dogsbody work for them.

Look at it this way; if someone works a busy job where box section steel is plentiful, they regard time as important, box-section steel les so. Offer to save them time (high value) by doing manual jobs that ae crappy but require no skill in return for some metal (diddlydiddlydee in a Bill and Ted stylee :D). Tell them why, they may have some sympathy.

Then go talk to the welder. Explain that you need some welding, have the steel, but can't wled. Ask them if you can do some manual work in return for welding the steel they require.

"Manual work" might be work in the workshop, or cleaning cars or mowing lawns or whatever. You can sort something out.

Best of Luck!

Mitch

18. Seventh

Interesting proposition, definitely sounds quite possible. However, convincing my mother to let me work in that environment will be difficult. When I say difficult, I mean it would be easier to wait for the end of the world to occur. She is the.......worrying type.

19. Mitch

Surely you have a spare arm? :D

Mitch

20. Seventh

2 arms, 1 arm, no arms, doesn't make a difference. I could by invulnerable, untouchable, indestructible, and my mother would still try to keep me at home. Ah well, what are you going to do?