Free introductory training and dojo hopping.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gong_Sau_Rick, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

G'day ladies,

I'll be getting some free time off soon after my exams (since I'm probably going to quit my job as well). I was thinking of taking up the introductory offers of all the MA schools that look interesting around my area.

Things like 'free first lesson' and the much more delicious 'free week of training'. I'm thinking of just using all the free passes I can get to form like say 3-4 weeks of intensive MA training (since I'll still go to my regular training). I've compiled a list of about 6 schools (I'm sure there's more). Two of which I know give a free week's training. :D

Has anybody ever tried this before? If so, what were your experiences?

I think it will be a good way to get a good start on my new fitness goals (I'll be doing like 6 days a week training), and just have fun checking out how other's do things.

2. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Have done, while I was looking for a school, and also looking for cross training.
    Bit hard sometimes, but if you tell the instructors honestly what you're there for, they're generally ok with it. They will sometimes put pressure on you to join, but I'm sure you're strong enough to resist if necessary.

3. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

I wouldn't have the money or time to join anyway. Since why I'm doing this when I have free time and free intro lessons. ;)

I might be able to drop in to one of the school every now and then for a casual lesson, there's one school which is even cheaper than my school and close by.

4. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

It's good to have a look at what's around. You won't learn an awful lot from one lesson, or even one week, but you can get a general feel for the class and how they do things. Instructors are usually friendly and welcoming.

I did this for a while when looking for a decent training spot. It's good when shopping for a class or when thinking of cross training. If you've been in your current class for a considerable amount of time then it could be a good experience, but if you haven't been in your current class for long I'd be careful, you could confuzzle yourself or introduce habits that contradict your main training.

5. righty

righty Valued Member

Hey it's free...why not.
    But be aware the classes won't be intense by any account. You will be a newbie and they will treat you as such and even in a week you won't begin the learn the basics of an art. Being new yourself you will also be partnered with other newbies, so even if you know what you are doing, you will still have to take care of your partner and take it slow. So I definitely wouldn't count on breaking a sweat.

That's even if they let you join in and don't make you just watch for most of the class. I've been to some where it they showed as a simple thing for ten minutes and then told us to sit down and watch for the rest.

6. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

I wouldn't necessarily see that as a bad thing when choosing a school, sometimes watching is a good way of getting an overall view of the place. Hoever, when you're after free training, it might not be as good. ;) (That sounds rather bad, doesn't it, when I put it like that.)