Fraud?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by G50, Oct 13, 2005.

?

Is what I said in my post an example of fraud?

1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

50.0%
  1. G50

G50 Night Owl

I had a TKD or I don't know type of master who was always telling us we were doing TKD techniques. He gave me a book that had only shotokan karate techniques in it, same as we were doing in class :confused:

Is this an example of fraud? :yeleyes:

2. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

My understanding is that original TKD is derived from Shotokan karate. As a result, if the techniques in the book are the same as the ones you're doing in class...that's the connection. It's not fraud so far as I'm concerned.

peace,
    Erik

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Somehow all of the martial arts are entertwined. No one really knows where they started, India, China???? Who knows. But if he representing the forms as TKD, I'd say fraud in my book, but its really not a big deal either....

4. Utotin

Utotin Valued Member

Are you recieving quality instruction, are you having fun and do you feel good after class? I think these questions are the important one. If the answer to all three is yes than who cares whether its shotokan or TKD.

5. Mephiston360

Mephiston360 New Member

However similar martial arts may seem, they do all have their differences. I go to Penn State University and there are many martial art clubs up here. I've been to all to watch them and have talked to every instructor up here. One difference between the two is the kicking. I've looked at Ishinru (excuse the spelling on that one) and Shotakan karate clubs up here. Both of these club do their kicks slightly different then in tkd. To be honest, the martial art your learning isnt as important as your instructor. If you have a great instructor then you'll learn how to defend yourself whether its tkd, karate, judo ect... As long as your having fun and enjoy it thats all that matters.

6. cavallin

cavallin kickin' kitten

all the TKD forms are copies of shotokan forms. had Willie Lim (8th dan karate, 7th dan TKD) tell us that in my seminar. all ma's are mixed up anyway, tkd is very young, and he's not a fraud LOl, thats just what happens. at the end of the day, everything is inspired from somewhere! wonder if snakes and cranes are upset that kung fu stole their forms :D

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

No, but baboons' bums are livid over monkey style KF :D

Mitch

8. G50

G50 Night Owl

Btw, the place is supposed to be a WTF school

I no longer go there, he said 7 years ago that I would never become a black belt, I took offense to that and left.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  9. Mephiston360

Mephiston360 New Member

If your instructor is putting you down then he/she probably isnt a very good instructor themself. After all, your students reflect on what kind of instructor you are. But I agree with you, if an instructor said this to me I would have left and found a better school.

10. Kwondo

Kwondo 3rd Dan WTF Taekwondo

I know that they are connected, but they are not the same now, especially now. So I don't think it's fraud, I just think it's ignorance. The master may not have been familiar with TKD enough if he didn't do it. Or possibly he just thought they were connected so much, and just said they were. In any case, as everyone has said all martial arts derive from somewhere else. Everything is similar so I don't think it's fraud.

11. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

If you did ITF, then I could see the similarities in patterns to those of Shotokan. Perhaps he cross-trained and, therefore, cross-taught? Many times, a Shotokan partner of mine had compared his kata with my hyung and the similarities were obvious.

Since you'd mentioned WTF, though, there are not many similarities aside from the very basic techniques, like the punch, horsestance, etc. The poomse sequences, of course, are totally different.

Out of principle, I wouldn't want to train with somebody who misrepresented himself/herself. There's also the trust issue. If he/she lied to you about what you were being taught, what else is he/she lying about?

Bottom-line: Did you learn something? If so, then it wasn't a complete waste of time.

12. G50

G50 Night Owl

I learned to be a better person, more disciplined. (I was only 8-10 yrs. old at the time). I learned basic kicks that I needed to be a high level at my recent schools. That was about it.