frank dux

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tuney30, Oct 2, 2002.

1. stump

stump Supersub

......why don't you tell us how it is then?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Actually I've found that a lot of people here are very familiar with the martial arts. It's people who believe the fabrications and regard themselves as excellent martial artists because they think they've trained in a legitimate system that tend to be ignorant.

Anyway, that's beside the point. It is just plain stupid to come onto a forum and make your first post a very insulting one. Especially when you don't have the audacity to actually explain your reasoning. I suggest that you explain why you came out with that comment, and fairly quick, or you will just be branded a troll and no-one on this forum will ever take anything you say seriously. Personally, with a start like that, I don't think much of your chances...

3. Cain

Cain New Member

So what's the conclusion on Dux?

A compotent martial artist but not exactly what he claims to be....sounds like a fraud either way, however I don't know too much about him, better reserve my final judgement...

|Cain|

4. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Hello Camel_2000,
    I am willing to hear what you have to say. I'm not very familiar with ma's though.
    I only studied 5 art styles and teach 2 of them. I have been in ma's for 37 yrs.

5. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Time served

Is often no guarentee of quality or anything new PT and as for Frank Dux - it just looks to me like the person who did the site has sour grapes and I hear all the time about disgruntled students slagging of there old instructors.

He is obviously a good martial artist and its pretty obvious that bloodsport is nothing more than a film. However the site is just having a pop at him and well let him be, 99% of martial arts people wont know who he is unless you say he is the clown that bloodsport was based on.

So in truth its not harming anyone as all the mystique he may of once had is long gone.

6. Cain

Cain New Member

Yes he may be a good martial artist but what about him making claims which were proved false even by the media.....?

|Cain|

7. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Re: Time served

I don't recall speaking about Dux.I was speaking of myself.
    As far as time served and quality Sonshu, I do seminars /demos in quality schools teaching students and teachers how to improve their quality of ma's. I teach speed, power, focus and balance conditionings. Haven't found a school yet that wasn't appreciative of instruction.

8. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There will always be scam artists who impress novices with their claims and some decent martial art demonstrations. Frank is known as a competent martial artist, but NO one can verify his claims. In todays world, almost anything you claim can eventually be verified. The movies decent, the man can be interesting and he's obviously started a lot of intelligent (and some idiotic) comments going in this VERY interesting thread! I am soooo glad I stumbled on this website, its got me HOOKED! Thanks to all you posters!

9. Sonshu

PT Cruiser

Never said you were not up to scratch and me talking about frank dux was a seperate thing to the comment I made to you.

I am merely saying there is a big difference between time served and ability.

I know some 3rd and 4th dans in Karate who are not much cop at all and they have over 15 years training experience but this is because they never trained hard and just turned up doing kata etc.

Yet there are also 3-4 year students in Karate and other arts that are excellent there seems to be such a big difference and I only judge people on ability rather than time served. One of my students showed me somthing about a month ago I never though of (he is a white belt with about 6 weeks experience and no prior MA experience) I have around 12 years and I was grateful for his insight as it was so basic and worked so well.

10. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Sonshu,

thank you for your post.
    I have found the secret over the years, that to be a great student you must be in a teaching/instructing position. I'm a great student today. You teachers understand what I mean.

11. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

PTCruiser,

"Poor is the student who does not defeat the master, poor is the master who his students do not defeat(surpass) him". Do you agree?

12. Sonshu

Well PT & Xia

You are both getting far to philisophical for me - and I teach!

I am a simple man and even instructors still learn we all do, no one knows it all.

:D

13. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Yes, but few there be that find it!!!
    Thanks

14. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Re: Well PT & Xia

Agree, when we stop learning we should stop breathing.

15. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

No. A decent master will not stop his own learning and will therefore always defeat his student.

I'd instead say: "Poor is the student who does not strive to defeat the master, poor is the master who allows his students to defeat(surpass) him"

Just my opinion, but one I know is shared by a few people in the arts.

16. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Aegis,

I believe the statement was intended to continue training even after the master has deceased. More philosophical than a literal interpretation.
    My instructor stopped at 3rd dan, I went on to 5th dan, I could have stopped at 2nd dan just under my instructor. He would have come out of retirement after me had I not continued on, thus defeating the master.

17. Sonshu

I think a commited student

will always beat his master, he will often have youth and strength on his side.

Not always but often.

:D

18. shonuff

shonuff New Member

Any of his students on this board?

19. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

weird, there are a Lot of single post users in this forum, most of them for Dux

it's a conspiracy I tell ya, Dux I know it's you.

*cough*

anyway, this is my favourite quote from Frank Dux's official site

yes, Elvis Presley, that renowned martial artist.

20. stump

stump Supersub

Elvis apparently trained under Ed Parker and had a Black Belt in Kenpo...how much was gimick I have no idea it seems real enough.

The teacher to Bruce Lee however I'm not so sure of....Inosanto yes....Lee?????Hmmmm