frank dux

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tuney30, Oct 2, 2002.

1. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

After watching the film bloodsport millions of times i am fascinated by frank dux. can anyone give me information on his style, records and what contestes he fought in? thanx

2. STASH

STASH New Member

Its all at the end of the movie, after the credits I think.

3. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

is it?

yeh there is stuff about his records, but people are saying that he made the whole kumite thing up , and theyre saying his style of "ninjitsu" looks more familiar to ju jitsu. but its just what ive heard

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Fake!

It's been pretty much common knowledge for quite a few years now that the guy is a total fraud.

From http://www.teemax.com/busmanartical.html

In May of 1988, John Johnson of the Los Angeles Times ran an expose of Frank Dux and his numerous lies. He showed once and for all that Dux has never been in any international "Kumite", or any tournament at all, for that matter. His trophy, which he had supposedly won in the Bahamas, had been manufactured in North Hollywood by the W.R. Moody Co. This is not far from Dux's home town of Woodland Hills. Dux also claimed that these supposed secret fights had been hosted by an organization called the "International Fighting Arts Association", a group which reporter Johnson said led only back to Dux himself! The most
    damning thing about Dux though, even if one were to overlook his lies about having a secret ninja teacher named Senzo Tanaka (Tanaka, like in James Bond films--no evidence of such a person in the US or Japan has ever been uncovered), rescued boatloads of orphans, or set any kind of martial arts speed record (he didn't), is the fact that Dux has lied about his military career.

Frank Dux fabricated phony newspaper articles, one from the Washington Star, which painted him as some sort of military hero. When Johnson checked with the archives of the 'Star, they told him no such article existed--another bold fake! In Fact, Dux's records show he never even left the Continental US, and in the words of Johnson, "His only known war injury occurred when he fell off a truck he was painting in the motor pool"(1988,4). Johnson also writes that; "His military medical file. . .said that on Jan. 22, 1978, he was referred for
    psychiatric evaluation for expressing "flighty and disconnected ideas." Though as a member of the reserves, which meant he was on active duty only a short time, he reportedly insisted that he was working for an intelligence agency." (1988:2)

Dux also made the blunder of mixing up Army and Marine awards on his uniform, ~none~ of which were legitimately his. He even claimed to have been secretly awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by Congress! Now, if you think hundreds of members of congress can keep any sort of secret, you're really crazy! But Dux is somehow convinced people will buy his lies. He doesn't realize, or denies to himself that his tall tales hurt real veterans, those who actually paid the price for our nation while he was a youngster fantasizing about playing spy games.

Dux's Book, "The Secret Man" is also completely contrived. Soldier of Fortune did an expose on this fictional work of his, and debunked his bogus military claims once and for all. The August 1996 issue included a review called "Full Mental Jacket". The title of the article alone should let you know what real military men think of his stories. SOF mentioned this loser again in the Nov. 1998 issue in an article by Larry Bailey entitled "Stolen Valor: Profiles of a Phony-Hunter". Dux is shown wearing his incorrectly displayed and mixed Army and Marine Medals! The book "Stolen Valor" by B.G. Burkett is over 700 pages long, and is devoted to unmasking military fakes--he devotes 4 pages to Dux's fakery, debunking his hollow claims once and for all.

5. Jim

Jim New Member

So what are you saying, Dave? The guy's no good? :)

6. STASH

STASH New Member

Yea, I always thought his KO record was a little ridiculous...what was it like 2.7 secs or something???

7. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. And he wrote a book called "The Secret Man" ... allegedly autobiographical.

Turns out it's fictional ... but it's a good read nonetheless :)

Mike

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

You can tell when people like Dux are telling lies...

Their lips move :p

9. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Does that mean he can't fight blindfolded!? :p

10. tuney30

tuney30 New Member

yeh thanks yoda. what do you think about the schools of ninjitsu he runs though, is it true its hyped up ju jitsu?

11. stump

stump Supersub

This movie was on Sky a few nights ago, it amused me the way they went on about "full contact" like loads of people don't train "full contact" every night of the week.

One of the many great things about vale tudo is that people now have an way to put up or shut up. So nobody's gonna believe stories about secretive full contact events in the middle of nowhere. If you wanna let people know how hard you are....step in the cage!!!!!

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Most 'Ninjitsu' schools ARE hyped up Ju Jitsu, the hand to hand stuffs is almost exactly the same. In the 80's to coin in on the Ninja hype, alot of Ju Jitsu instructors dressed up in black did a few Aikido classes to pick up sword work and renamed their school Ninjitsu.

13. Jim

Jim New Member

Now you're just showing your age, FF :)

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Huh, oh no, some old guy told me. I think he was 33 or something, REALLY old ;)

15. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

NOT REAl!!!

I didn't know that. Man, I loved that movie. Well, the old saying that says "don't belive every thing you see on tv" is true after all huh!!! (though I don't believe everything:confused: )

16. Jim

Jim New Member

nasty B@$t@rd! You've been talking to Mel too much.

17. darlph

darlph New Member

Hey guys, Frank Dux may be a fraud in 99% of the things he says but he must be good at something to teach teach police seminars and to have Jean Claude Van Damm to copy things out of his book and put in his movies. THey went to court over that and it was broadcast on CourtTV. Also there is a film clip of him smashing through bullet proof glasc. So there has to be some truth somewhere of he's an awful good magician.
    Personally, though I did meet him through a friend of my father (policeman) and I asked him about how he knows how to fight his opponents. He said look at how they stand when you first get in the ring, it'll tell you their style.
    And no I'm not defending him. Just throwing out a few bits I know personally. The other stuff... Yoda is right about.

18. darlph

darlph New Member

Hey guys, Frank Dux may be a fraud in 99% of the things he says but he must be good at something to teach police seminars and to have Jean Claude Van Damm to copy things out of his book and put in his movies. They went to court over that and it was broadcast on CourtTV. Also, there is a film clip of him smashing through bullet proof glass. So there has to be some truth somewhere or he's an awful good magician.
    Personally, though I did meet him through a friend of my father (policeman)while he was here in town promoting his book and doing a coupl seminars. (I have never actually seen him fight and that is pretty odd because i try to keep up with that) and I asked him about how he knows how to fight his opponents. He said look at how they stand when you first get in the ring, it'll tell you their style.
    And no I'm not defending him. Just throwing out a few bits I know personally. The other stuff... Yoda is right about.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

All you need to teach the police is to be convincing. A good salesman can sell anything, doesn't mean its necessarily any good.

Bulletproof glass isn't hard to break, only to shoot through. Its all in the type of impact.

20. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

I don't believe that you're on this list as well! :0)