Forms...where can I learn some?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Master J, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

Hey guys.....after a LONG time out of the martial arts...I am ready to get fight, physically fight and fighting fit!

I was just wondering if anyone can point me to some websites where I could learn some forms? I know Siu Lim Tao from my Wing Chun...but thats it. Personally, I just want to learn some to practice on my own for meditation/relaxation, and to help develop awareness and concentration.

Thanks guys!

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Well personally

1) Don't learn forms from the internet
    2) you need more than forms to get "fighting fit" surely

Wouldnt it be better to go along to a class and train with a real rather than a virtual sifu?

3. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

Sorry, you misunderstood. I'm not trying to get fight with forms, are you mad?!

Yea, well I learn some at Wing Chun, but I do BJJ too and well that hasn't got forms of course. Just a rough guide to forms you know?

4. SiAiS

SiAiS Moved on

Why not just add footwork to SLT? Look at that Hsing-Y form that was posted.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Go find a school and teacher.

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

No I don't think I am mad!

I just really struggle to see why people want to go and learn forms in isolation without learning a whole style. I just completely fail to see the point.

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Websites, no.
    But books -- sure, lots of books have forms/katas. Just browse the library or bookstore.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

YAY!! At least you've got a little bit of sense Su!

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Pftt! What do you mean I have a "little" bit of sense!!! :woo:

Forms in isolation just seem silly.I mean, every style has its own "feel" and its own type of movement that you surely can't pick up just by learning the odd form in isolation.
    WHy not do something like yoga if you want to learn movement for relaxation.

10. Emil

Emil Valued Member

Here is some age old advice that was passed down to me everyday by nearly every high school teacher I had - stop dawdling around and get to class!

11. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

Yes, type in youtube.com than look for the form you want to learn. Regardless of what any would be martial artist on this site says it is you life learn what an how you want. Look up forms on youtube.com.

I am just saying whatever to most of the poster on here they ain't no masters of the what you want to know so you don't have to learn from a school but you probably should if you are going to teach.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Here's your first lesson young man:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMasVRj4KI"]breakdance - YouTube[/ame]

13. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

You want to do forms to RELAX?!
    I am wasted after going through my forms.

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yeah ,learn ALL the forms you can off youtube because they are guaranteed to be perfect examples and performed by real masters. :rolleyes:

15. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

If you really just want to learn forms for the sake of it stick in 'X Kata' or 'X Forms' into amazon. You should be able to get manuals for all the form movements of all the common martial arts. You could look at them on Youtube as well if you want.

In general getting a teacher is best.

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

bwahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha **gasp** hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Did the school holidays start already?

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Here's a nice two-person wushu form. Is this what you're looking for? I don't think you specified what sort of "forms" you're looking for.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrPhLIZR1MI"]Wushu Light Saber Battle!!! - YouTube[/ame]

I particularly like this next one, but that's because I'm a big "Highlander" fan. Half way through dude picks up a different weapon. Wicked cool. At one point the camera pans down to his feet so you can see exactly how he's stepping. Niiice. (Okay, I jest. The editting of this film is awful. But I don't know what sort of forms you're looking for.)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8C6RiHzdNw"]YouTube[/ame]

This one is much cleaner, but it's hard to see everything in the darkness.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuaKlYsAvYY"]YouTube[/ame]

Here's a cool bo kata.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJAHHjfEjAQ&mode=related&search="]Duncan Macleoud's Bo Kata The Highlander - YouTube[/ame]

At about the 3-minute mark Duncan goes into a solo unarmed kata of some kind. At the 4-minute mark we see application: bad man with sword repeatedly attacks, and Duncan uses the very same moves in the kata to evade and block every attack. Very nice. For real. I really do think it's wonderful to see an actual application of the moves.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAQodgWHOjA"]Highlander: Armageddon P5 (Subt. Esp) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  19. nready

nready Verifying DMI pool....

While i know i could never do that an live! I imagine there is someone out there that loves that so much they can glean something from it.

My point is not that you can actually learn a style or what is going on in a form from over the Internet but you do get to move an that alone can improve you emotional state weather through interaction on a very distant level but it is still moving an that above all is what every martial artist loves to do.(Excuse me for putting words in every one's mouth). So if the person knows what they want than they should at least try to help themselves and in time when they have the confidence to venture into a school do develop the next level of contact an self development than maybe they will learn more an maybe even try to be the next master or teacher. I personally have never studied this way from videos, just i am for a person moving to keep the body realizing movement is everything and that when we stop is when we die. When i was young i would study for days without sleep cause i always believed that sleep was a little death. I mean just move literally it takes all kinds for martial arts to continue those just there for the forms those who want to kill someone in a fight the extreme is what maintain all thing. If a person has the heart to study forms by the Internet more power to you.

An thank you for making me actually write, shootodog an sever thankyou for quoting me here i thought no one would ever quote me ha!

Sever i do not know did they? I am not a child so i don't know.

20. shootodog

shootodog restless native

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

***gasp**

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

please stop! please stop!