Forms: Ki Cho Hyung - Woohn Ohk Hyung

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyeongsa, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

the USA word meaning which gives most room for misunderstanding is the one which names the "South Carolina State Dance" (Google it)
    First night in a Holiday Inn in Columbia SC and some 20 stone reincarnation of Grendel's mother asked me if I'd like to "have a ****""
    All I could do was choke on my pint of what the yanks think is beer, and splutter "sorry, I'm not very good at that kind of thing". I had thoughts of being smothered to death
    Only next day when I related the story to a local workmate was the truth revealed

ps 20 stone = 280 pounds weight in Americanese
    pps If you still can't work it out, Google "Phalacrocorax aristotelis"

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Amen.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

3. Bruce W Sims

I think you may be mixing apples and oranges.

The separate practices are just that...separate. Where people get confused is that, in fact, there are relationships among the various sword methods, but not because someone planned a progression. Rather, there are relationships and similarities because there are only so many unique and productive angles, vectors, velocities and methods. In the KWAN that I belong to I have organized a progression but not because it is a traditional progression. Rather, like the H2H material, I examine the way people learn and gradually wean folks from SSANG SOO DO to TO to GEOM. Like the H2H material and its attendent weapons one can stop anywhere along the line and decide "this is my stop; I'm good up to here". In this way, for instance, a person can start with a SSANGSOODO and work all the way up to BON KUK GEOM BEOP using said weapon. One can then spend the rest of their life training in perfecting those cuts and mastering various validation cuts with varied materials. OR, one can go on and learn the TO version of BON KUK GEOM BEOP and go on to learn the YE-DO material and the validation cuts with that. OR one can go on to learn the GEOM material and the attendent cuts with that. Does this help?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

4. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Umm, we speak proper American over here. None of that weird queens english.

5. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

By "proper American", do you mean language such as: Muskogean, Tunican, Siouian, Caddoan, Algonquian or Iroquoian, or a corruption of one of the several European languages which your ancestors took over — including REAL English, as spoken by English people? :rolleyes:

6. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

I think he's trying to suggest we all talk like Freddie Mercury
    or Oscar Wilde

PS what he really meant to say was "Umm we speakum properum americum here-um" Just like in the John Wayne films and we all know they're realistic don't we?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

I'll take it you're referring to item #5 under the classification of NOUN in what I've copied from the dictionary onboard my computer:

Brings to mind one of my FAVORITE (favourite?) Benny Hill gags:

Stuffy British Bloke: What's wrong with you, don't you know the Queen's English?

Indian Sikh Type Fellow: Oh! I'm sure she IS.

EDIT:
    It just dawned on me that when mentioning "queens english" that SeongIn might've been referring to the distinctive accent & jargon spoken by inhabitants of a particular borough of New York City (specifically, Queens). ;)

FWIW, the BH joke works even if the current ruling monarch is male. Unfortunately, the one I just made doesn't. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  8. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

I think SeongIn is thinking more along the lines of "He were speaking English right, thats for true!" cockney accent, which we ALL know you English folks talk like...obviously. That really horrific braying sound, you know? ^.~

9. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

Hey Pugil
    damned colonials calling us donkeys now!
    Looks like he's been on a diet of too much Dick van Dyke / Mary Poppins

10. Bruce W Sims

Unfortunately, American don't have a very good track record of learning foreign languages and my guess is that results in our valuing the way we use our speech as narrowly as the way we accept responsibility for our role in the World Economics. Contrary to popular belief, learning a foreign language, say, Mandarin Chinese, is not at all as difficult as its drummed up to be. IMHO Japanese was much more difficult with two levels of speech and three levels of writing. Ouch! My head!!

In the matter of European languages, though, I am always impressed to find people who speak four and five languages. My late grandmother spoke five, as I remember. Certainly when we have discussions about resources for a particular MA discussion, there is always that request for resources----in English---to further people's understanding. Imagine the power we would have here if each person who elected to oversee an area would volunteer to learn the language of that particular MA culture!! FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

11. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

ill take australian, new zealandish, south african, and canadian, sir! good points, though

12. Willow

Willow Valued Member

So that would be Pama-nyungan, Māori, Zulu, and French right?

13. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

I don't think thats what he ment "mate"

14. Willow

Willow Valued Member

I know what he meant, just being a bit of a smart-aleck.

15. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRwfQwGdfYE"]YouTube - Esquema Reicard Escobar[/ame]

wtf?

16. MACA

MACA Valued Member

17. Dragonkarma

Dragonkarma Valued Member

interesting version gum mu hyung

The guy is skillful but the form has a bunch of extra moves.
    If the guy is not part of WKSA anymore, then it means he made up his own extra stuff. If he IS still with WKSA, he needs to do the form the way it is taught by Kuk Sa Nym.

He needs to see the HQ masters: master Barry Harmon, master Sung Jin Suh, and master Alex Suh.
    If his master is teaching the version he does in the video, then his master is changing the forms.

WKSA forms are ONLY done Kuk Sa Nym's way.

18. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

19. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

the head rocking put the 'dance' in sword dance form. i just thought it was wild. i once heard the boss say that the part after the jumping ssang su do in the first part is rhythmic, then after the low chop-block everything up to the out-twisted knuckles push block thing is done in one breath.

20. KSW4Life

KSW4Life Banned Banned

"WKSA forms are ONLY done Kuk Sa Nym's way."

right, and our saviors would never change the way we do our forms.......