Former national Champion Joe Rogan gives tips on the turning side kick...

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KidKrav, Feb 2, 2011.

1. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

So I posted this thread in the MMA forums earlier. I was kind of torn between posting it there or here, but I decided to go with MMA because it features Joe Rogan teaching an MMA champion.

Then I found the following video which I think fits better here...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs4uQ6DfKV8"]YouTube - Joe Rogan demonstrates the turning side kick[/ame]

I think these are the best kicking tips I've seen since my most recent excursion to see Joe Lewis back in December.

Enjoy :)

2. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

You have trained with Lewis? That would be a trip. His interviews are always really interesting.

Thanks for this. Rogan is a pretty decent athlete. He got some good pop in that kick. Despite primarily being a ground guy I think he likes seeing some of the 'traditional' techniques now making a showing in MMA.

3. Taizu

Taizu Valued Member

That's certainly a different back spinning kick to what I'm used to. It's more of a 'snap' for us, were he connects while the leg is still bent and then proceeds to drive more energy into the target. Cause damage(esp if hit diaphragm cleanly) and create space, nice. I'll definitely incorporate it.

I presume that kick originated from the ITF, we don't do that extra power twist thing with our side kicks. Off to read up on it!

4. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

its the way iv been shown to do a back kick over the last 30+ years..its not a spinning kick, its a thrusting kick with the heel = back kick or if you take the hip further and strike with the blade of foot its bandau dolla yop chagi.....reverse turning sidekick, well thats how its always been explained to me anyways, includeing pointing the standing heel at the target area.

bests kamau

5. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

every kick should reach its target slightly bent so that you can follow through with it.

6. lord-humungous

lord-humungous Valued Member

I'm pretty sure we call that the reverse side kick (ITF).

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Interesting.

This is much how I teach the roundhouse kick for Muay Thai. Usually when people are kick to the target as opposed to through the target I remind them we are striving for the ideal of shin cutting all the way through and exiting the other side... obviously the point of impact being the high spot in the power trajectory of the kick (gettin' scientific on ya!)...

So... if I'm understanding you right the theory is similar how you guys are drilling this kick... the point of entry needs a bit of bend at the knee to drive the kick all the way through the target with follow through?

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Spot on.

Yep. Certainly with side kicks/reverse side kicks like this it should strike with the knee bent so you power through the target.

The interesting bit is less the kick, which would be familiar to many TKD/Karate people, but the difference in the motion of the standing foot. Watch the vid carefully. Rogan pivots on the ball of his front fott and allows his knee to sort of collapse in order to initiate the turn. This developes a smooth, unimpeded, untelegraphed spin. GSP has only just tried the kick and picks up the kicking mechanic very quickly and delivers with power, but he takes a step and turns his standing foot at the same time, making for a two part motion which will be slower, more telegraphed and lose him some power.

Did I just critique GSP? I will now go boil my head :D

Mitch

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

If I remember he is a multi-year state champion from Massachusetts or somewhere out east.

10. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

No.. in ITF its called a Back Piercing Kick or Spinning Back Piercing Kick!

TBH.. I like Joe Rogan and the video is fine.. but its a basic back piercing kick taught (at least in my school and I presume most others), the same way.. well yes.. hence the video!! However, the 'over spin' is a pretty common thing, so its good he shows that.

Stuart

11. KidKrav

KidKrav Valued Member

Joe Lewis only lives about an hour away from me. I've been to a couple of his seminars, and while I wouldn't say my time with him has been extensive, each time I've went to see him I felt I came away with something which significantly improved my abilities. I'm a member of his organization and I'm planning on doing a little write up about him and my experience eventually...

And yes, he is a good speaker and a VERY intelligent guy. Did I mention we're friends on facebook?:cool:

There's something Rogan says in the clip that I feel I should address. He said something about how Taekwondo is not the most effective martial art but that there are some techniques that are very effective. I agree with him to an extent, but at the same time I think he's being modest. Taekwondo gets a bad rap because many of the practitioners have rank which seemingly exceeds their abilities. There are certainly weaknesses to the art, ie lack of close range technique and grappling, but I still believe it is founded on sound principles. There's merit to the idea that a person can potentially strike harder with their legs and feet from a greater distane than with their hands...

I'm thinking now that I'm nearly a hundred posts in it may be time for me to finally go ahead and write an introduction thread. My avatar makes it look like I do one stile, my name indicates another, and here I am talking about the merits of Taekwondo:hat:
    The truth is that I do some mixing of techniques. I'm kind of a "dojo hopper" as Joe Lewis put it and my status as a fighter is basically gym rat. For the record, my introduction to the martial arts was through Taekwondo and I still practice it and attend classes with my childhood instructor.

12. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Yeah. His interviews are always really insightful and fun to read. I agree with the rest of your post as well.