Forging

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Tosh, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Are you a crazy forger???

By "forging" I mean preparing your attacking tools through "knocking" execrises or throuhg use of a forgibg post.

Questions:

1) Do you do it?
    2) How do you do it?
    3) What do you do it with ( keep it clean!)

Fire in the hole!

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Hi Tosh

Can you please elaborate on the term "Forging"

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Sure by forging I mean "toughing" the area you strike/block with

I.e. Using Knuckle push ups, repeatedly striking/blocking each other techniques with a partners.

Generally, preparing the tools for the job so when you hit/block someone you arn't running around holding your attacking/defending tool wishing for the pain to go away.

4. johndoch

johndoch upurs

OK

I have various ways of toughening my hands (knuckles) They include punching a heavy canvas bag so that you dont punch through the bag but graze the knuckles on it by using hooks and uppercuts. Also knuckle push-ups are ok but to deaden the nerves even more twist the fist from horizontal to vertical at the end of every rep.

5. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

The reason I ask is I've taken to "knocking" my inner and outer forearms recently.... since the late General's "knocking them against the door frame in the morning" makes me spilll my cornflakes everywhere I was just wondering if anybody else does this regularly.

I know there wil be loads of people that say knuckles.... but what about the rest......backfist?? Ball of the foot?? heel?? forearms?? elbows?

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I've heard of thai fighters using rolling pins on their shins. Some chi sao drills can also deaden the nerves of the forearms especially when you go for it.

7. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Yeah I sort of stayed out of that discussion when I saw it...

Me personally, rolled a milk bottle along it (my shin!) regulalry for about a month. It took the edge off the knocks so then it was just a case of learning to grin and bear it :)

8. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

I prefer to stick with the maxim "Hard target, soft weapon. Soft target, hard weapon". This reduces the need for such conditioning, which I'm not convinced is good for you in the long run.

Its a common misconception in karate circles that makiwara (striking post) training was to toughen the knuckles. This seems to be a common misconception. Its real purpose was to train the punch. Any callousing was a mere by-product.

That said, I punch a heavy bag, which takes some getting used to. But I avoid grazing my knuckles on it, always punching directly towards the bag's centreline. I'm not sure I see any benefit to grazing your knuckles.

Mike

9. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

My intial mis-conception was that I was building the area I was forging into a harder tool.

I know realise it's more likely that the initlal "sting" is taken off rather than increasing your pain threshold to superhuman levels

Just ma 30 pieces of silver :D

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

well it damn necessary for us to fogering or watever u wer talking about(ignoring jimmy :D)...
    but even if u don't condition urself ur body gets conditioned as time passes by(because of all the hard work u put into)
    -TkdWarrior-

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

:cry: I'm being ignored!

Anyway, 'forging' isn't healthy. You're causing repeated damage to your skeletal structure in the hopes of strengthening it. This is along the lines of going out and taking a swing at a tree with an axe every day in the hopes that the tree will learn not to be cut by the axe.

12. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

<This is along the lines of going out and taking a swing at a tree with an axe every day in the hopes that the tree will learn not to be cut by the axe.>
    jimmy this is punch line :D how could u make such things :) ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

13. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Oh its easy. You buy a craft knife, get a block of wood, and start whittling. Takes some practice before you cut yourself though.

14. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

We use fore arm clubbing. Sit in horse stance across from your partner and smash your arms together. First with fist up (both use the same hand) then after the ricochet wheel them around for fist down and do it again. After a while you get used to it.