forging posts?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by gemtkd, May 16, 2011.

1. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Has anyone build and used one? I've been right in to my encyclopedia lately and was thinking of having the husband build me one!

So are they good to use? And also how hard are they to make? :)

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

what on earths a forging post?

3. Osu,

Thank you for asking Master Betty... I support the question. :D

OSu!

4. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

It's like a post either outdoors or indoors with a pad on it, it's for strengthening and toughing up hands and feet etc, I guess like a wooden kung fu dummy but a bit more simple

5. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

This isn't gonna be something you bash your hands against in order to "condition" the bone is it?

6. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Yeah you basically kick it and punch it to toughen up your hands and feet

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

it's called a makiwara. plenty of instructions on how to make them in karate websites. and it's not for toughening (that's a side-effect), it's for developing power and structure. if you use it only as a toughening tool, you risk severely damaging your joints and bones.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Not in Korean it's not :)

Mitch

9. Fish Of Doom

@mitch: yeah, i think in korean it's juàngo. or possibly gweongo, depending on which translator i use :p

10. Mitch

Dallyon joo according to my TKD book, which includes details for constructing several different types including one to allow downward strikes.

Mitch

11. Fish Of Doom

probably referring to the post itself. otoh makiwara means something like wrapped straw, or straw rope.

12. Mitch

I think that's right, yes.

Mitch

13. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I made one about 20 years ago (wow I'm getting old), and cheated, using a block of wood with three cuts to give a bit of spring ||| attached to the brick shed in the back garden. It's probably still there :) A bit more solid than I'd have liked but with years of knuckle pushups okay. I still felt that destruction techniques with the hands hurt a little but ironically the only time I failed a grading on a board break was when I missed with a back spinning kick. Those breaking boards are so easy but only if you hit them accurately on the line

14. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Well, if hubby can make it I'll give it a try! I need every way i can to improve, and if it doesn't benefit me, well, at least I gave it a try?!!

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Can't you just punch hubby?

16. Mitch

Have you got a diagram for how to make one?

MItch

17. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Yeah, I've got the 15 vol encyclopedia, so can get the info from there, and hopefully anything that isn't explained husband can figure out

18. Mitch

Cool. There's a more detailed description here, plus there are a few others on the net if you google. Have fun! :)

Mitch

19. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

thank you!!! :)

20. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Can anyone put up a diagram to build a destruction frame??