forget politics let's talk about kuda-kuda

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Gajah Silat, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

:)
    Wali, I totally agree :)

OJ, as one beginer to another I would say this.

Although maybe not the purpose of Kuda2.....but from Kuda2 with only 2 other langkah one can attain 360 degrees of movement. Segi tiga to empat sliwa, kiri to kanan, it's all there, fore and aft in a mere 3 langkah-langkah.

Why spend all the time and effort on all those other MA stances when 3 on 3 levels covers most eventualities :)

We do "economy of movement" very well. Kinda buy one get one free. The Bogof of MA :rolleyes:

2. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Although maybe not the purpose of Kuda2.....but from Kuda2 with only 2 other langkah one can attain 360 degrees of movement. Segi tiga to empat sliwa, kiri to kanan, it's all there, fore and aft in a mere 3 langkah-langkah.
    Close but no cigar :)
    Anyone else?
    Tristan

3. Gajah Silat

Pak OJ, for a beginer who does not smoke, it seemed a good way of getting a real technical Silat discussion going :)

Of course the potential to move in any direction may just be one aspect.

Whatever our style or affiliation we all have kuda-kuda. Don't we?

Let's see if we can have a serious technical discussion :eek:

Selamat malam. Aku harus tidur sekarang....yawn. Don't worry Sarge....just Good night. I gotta sleep now zzzzzzzzzzz

4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

There are lots of reasons, Tristan. Right now the main one is "My teacher knows a lot more than me, and he says I'll stop getting dumped on my ass if I work harder at it." :D

5. Orang Jawa

Salam GS,
    Whatever our style or affiliation we all have kuda-kuda. Don't we?
    Kuda-kuda is prime important in silat, without it, is like a coffee tobruk drinker drinking decaf coffee :) Fighting is like a big war but in micro scale. In a war, we have to have a staging area, in order to have staging area, we must secure the perimeter, we must have the tools to do the jobs, supplies,transportation, and gather intelligent. In Silat, kuda-kuda is the staging area or persiapan for offensive/defensive or for training purposes. Therefore, without understanding how important kuda-kuda is, regardless how good your tools (techniques) are, how efficient your method of transportation (power/speed/timing, etc), and how much knowledge you have in silat. If your persiapan (kuda-kuda) is weak, your staging area was blown in the first enemy attack, your perimeter was overrun, then all of those things you have been study dillegently are blown too. Remember your objective is NOT TO GET HIT. Do whatever you can, you can dance, run, jumping around, etc. as long as you not get hit, then you are okay. Kuda-kuda will help you to do all of it. I think? :)
    I can be wrong too,
    Tristan

GS, I did not smoke too....;)

6. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

Actually, there are a many silat that doesn't employ any kuda-kuda.It varies on each perguruan.

7. tim_stl

tim_stl Valued Member

i think the definitions of kuda-kuda of various practicioners does not match. i know pak tristan's kuda-kuda is not the same as what the style i study calls kuda-kuda. perhaps it would help to define what kuda-kuda is for our style?

tim

8. Orang Jawa

Actually, there are a many silat that doesn't employ any kuda-kuda.It varies on each perguruan.
    Huh???????
    To my knowledge...which is not much at all. Traditional Silat always have kuda-kuda. As Tim said, it may vary in each system of silat, buy yet is there.
    Unless you are talking the new and improve silat...:)
    I'm the oldtimer, slower, and toothless, hairless, glasses, shortness, pennyless, and worthless.
    Tristan

9. Orang Jawa

Salam Tim,
    think the definitions of kuda-kuda of various practicioners does not match. i know pak tristan's kuda-kuda is not the same as what the style i study calls kuda-kuda. perhaps it would help to define what kuda-kuda is for our style?
    Kuda-kuda may varies, some people call different names but yet the purposes are the same, as a base to launch or to retreat after launch. Some people call it a free fighting stances or a neutral stances, etc. The most important is when you are in kuda-kuda, you should be familiar with your body, which part is cover and which part is not but can easily be cover in case is needed. At this stance, your weight must be in 50-50, your front leg is should be place in a way that will cover your groing shot from 12 o'clock, your both hands must be place in the manner that will cover in upper body or will be able to cover in an instant. Kuda-kuda is not part of langkah or stance. For example, either you do sepok, front stance or back stance..this stances are transition stances, you are not going to stay on this stances all the time. After your deliver your techniques you should trying to go back to kuda-kuda.
    That's according to the old silat magazine that I just read last night :)
    And I can be wrong too, can't wait to listen and learn from anybody.
    Tristan

10. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

kuda kuda in De-bordes Harimau

Hi everyone

Just going to add my little bit to the Kuda Kuda discussion.kuda Kuda in our system is a kick from all fours, and is delivered from a low posture we call ria kuda. I also seen it used as defence and as a kick

regards
    bela diri

11. Orang Jawa

Salam Bela Diri,
    Just going to add my little bit to the Kuda Kuda discussion.kuda Kuda in our system is a kick from all fours, and is delivered from a low posture we call ria kuda. I also seen it used as defence and as a kick
    Kuda-kuda as a kick? Very interesting...Indeed! I may have to get in touch with Pak Kudding....
    Do you know Pak Richard Kudding? Or Dr. Phil Davies?
    Phil, Kartini, and one of his student took to to Indonesian Restaurant in Lincenster,Ldn. Good food indeed. Around midnight as we walked around the city. We went to the alley and Phil asked his student to demo his harimau form. He was a jollie good, abit stiff but have a good base, I was impressed.
    Tristan O'Malley and is not related to any O'Malley anywhere :)

12. Gajah Silat

Our Kuda-Kuda is the bog standard horse stance. We do it low though!

Just out of interest, is the kick delivered..er face up or down, if you know what I mean? We have an 'all fours' kick too.

Ria kuda translated....is pretty much 'happy horse' :confused: Must be the Minangkabau sense of humour :D

Still if anyone fights low you guys are the lowest. We fight low, but jeez you need some serious legs for that Minang stuff.

Sorry Pak OJ, Pat O'Malley in a well respected FMA guy in the UK. Feeble attempt at a joke I know :eek:

13. CQC

CQC Arsenal Gear's A.I

They say that when you're started to learn silat,you'll be taught to fight with lower stances (kuda-kuda rendah).Only masters are fighting with straightbacked posture.Some even fight with only a simplified version of every buah,( buah guru,or keputusan).

And no.Throughout my readings,every old silat has its own buah guru. Its only that it will be handed down from a master to another master.That one will take years.

14. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi every one

Do you know Pak Richard Kudding? Or Dr. Phil Davies? no sorry idon't know these people. As for the kick it is delivered face down so your back stays in line & we view from underneath, but the kick is done so quick your back up with something else to follow. Happy horse sounds good to me. We do fight low and can last along time in semi recumbant but can also fight standing to. We have a blend of most of the minangkabau systems to which gel well together i.e sterlak satria muda harimau setia hatia.

Now i got to go drive 150 miles to burn my legs out and learn some more. I like this topic this what a forum should be like no politics etc.......

15. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

From a Chinese perspective Kuda-Kuda is called Mabu (horse riding stance). The Chinese view this stance as a Zhan Zhuang (standing pole) exercise i.e. it is viewed as a posture which promotes the circulation and buildup of Qi in the body. In China people can be seen early in the morning just standing in this posture motionless for long periods of time whilst concentrating on their breathing.

It is believed that standing in this posture:

*Increases blood circulation.
    *Strengthens the respiratory system.
    *Improves posture.
    *Improves mental concentration/discipline.
    *Develops strong legs.
    *Develops rooting with the earth.
    *Promotes circulation and increased Qi levels.

Here is a good article on the mechanics of horse riding stance http://www.cbox.cz/baguaquan/mabu-en.htm

Here is a photo of Grandmaster Chen Xiaowang practicing Zhan Zhuang (standing pole).

Attached Files:

• cxw3.jpg
      cxw3.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Gajah Silat

Thanks for the info Narrue....good link. & CQC informative as usual.

Bela Diri, sounds like the same kick! Haha shame on you stealing our moves :D nah, I've seen similar in many systems.

Would the opponent tend to fall in a position that would leave them open to all sorts of unpleasantaries? Landing face up on their back alongside you?

Edit. Hey BD we got the same birthday :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  17. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi every one

Narrue that posture is our siva kuda. ria is very lower than that. Today was two new kuda kuda drills which put a bit of the lumpat energy into them.

Can anyone help how do you attach pictures have tried does not seem to work for me.

Regards
    bela diri

18. Gajah Silat

Go to the forum section and there is a thread on how to attach pics under Suggestions & Questions.

I recently had the same problem.

So, you drive all the way up to Yoker land? You ever meet a half Burmese Yorkshireman up there? Not sure if he still trains though.

19. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

check your file sizes if you are trying to attach, they are limited....

Is there any error message???

20. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

If you look at the link you will see that some people practice Zhan Zhuang with a very low deep stance indeed whilst others do it in a very upright stance.

How long do you hold the stance for and what is “lumpat energy”

This stance is the basis from which many TeNaga dalam exercises are practiced.