Forearms & wrists

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by pecks, May 12, 2009.

1. iammartialarts

iammartialarts Banned Banned

i almost have my forearms bigger than my upper arm now after 3 months, just do wrist curls and reverse curls slowly 8 reps each, superset the wrist curls.

(wrist curls are just where you kneel next to bench or something, and place arms on it so hands and wrists hang off end, than with weights (around 20-50 lb dumbells) curl your wrists up and than turn your arms over and do the other side immediately)

2. pecks

pecks Valued Member

I gotta say thanks for that last post. I never thought I'd get on with wrist curls, but I followed your advice at the weekend, and bloody hell it hurt. But you could see that my forearms were pumped straight away. I'm definitely adding this to my routine.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

4. Endless

Endless Valued Member

5. mun3t

mun3t Valued Member

Every arm exercises targets the forearms/wrist but if you want to isolate them, you should do;

Palm Up Curl
    Palm Down Curl
    Reverse Curl

This are the three main exercises for the forearm/wrist but there are plenty of more.
    This exercises did Bruce Lee Do and I find them very effective;

Underhand Wrist Curl (Palm Up Curl)
    Overhand Wrist Curl (Palm Down Curl)
    Leverage Bar (A)(B)
    Reverse Curl
    Finger Lifts
    Isometric Squeeze
    Dumbbell Circling
    Wrist Roller

Because of the forearm is mostly high in slow muscle fibers (type I) you should do high reps with high sets aswell. Ex. 4-6 sets of 15-20 reps.

Bodyweight;

Finger Push-Ups
    Knuckle Push-Ups
    Isometric Squeeze (Bodyweight/Weight)
    Towel Whirl/Rotation
    Water Pot holds with only your fingers

Don't forget to stretch the wrist, stretching will also increase strength not only flexibility!

6. DragonPrawn

DragonPrawn Valued Member

You could just grab a 2 litre bottle of water hold your arm out straight and move your hand up and down hold the top of the bottle up. :)

7. trinidad

trinidad New Member

Discover How You Can Develop Hands of Steel That Crush Like Human Vise Grips!

*LINK REMOVED*

:hat:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
  8. pecks

pecks Valued Member

yes. I'm not actually going to download that, at least not until you tell me what it is..

9. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Trinidad, I've removed the link from your post until a moderator can download the file and ensure it doesn't contain harmful files or copyrighted material. As soon as we've confirmed the contents of the file, I'll be happy to repost it.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me in this thread as your private message privileges have not been activated yet.

Kind Regards,
    Yohan

10. trinidad

trinidad New Member

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Get two moderately heavy dumbbells, one in each hand, then walk around with them until your hands get too tired to hold onto them anymore. That's the farmer's walk, a fantastic exercise for grip strength that will really make your forearms grow. I do lots of different types of gripwork, so much so that my wife calls me Popeye.

12. pecks

pecks Valued Member

thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow

13. IronWolverine

IronWolverine Banned Banned

Since this is bodyweight doing push up on the back of the wrist,ridgehand push-up,and knuckle push up.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  14. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

go rock climbing!
    lots of sports ceneters have bouldering walls ripps your forarms to hell.
    campus board wis the best also does BI's and tres major/minor
    fingertip pushups, take 1 finger and 2 reps of each set.

could buy a power ball or an eagle catcher etc.
    squeese a tenis ball?

i walk to colege squeezing a hand exersizer. and home with the other hand.

15. Shiho-Nage

Shiho-Nage I'm okay to go.

Good advice/exercises so far. Some alternatives:

Get a hand towel. Soak it in a bucket of water. Ring it out with your hands. Repeat. Alternate the direction each time.

Dead arm hangs until you fall off work well too. Take the same hand towel and hang it over the bar and and dead arm hang by it.

16. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
    At the moment, I'm doing pull-ups (seem to help) & farmer's walk in the gym, and I have a squeezey grip-trainer thing at work.
    It seems to have helped a lot for the top part of the forearm, but my wrists are still dead skinny...

17. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

There's no real muscle there, so your wrists will unfortunately be skinny for a long time because of your bone structure. Keep up the heavy training and you'll see the tendons thickening and it'll make your wrists a little bigger.

18. pecks

pecks Valued Member

yeah I figured it's probably me bones..
    I reckon if I focus on building up the forearms me little wrists won't look so feeble!