Forearm Fitness... nice quick vid

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by slipthejab, Apr 9, 2007.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

While this is geared directly towards boxers... these exercises can benefit anyone in martial arts... not just boxers. He shows some simple classic forearm exercises. No slick video production, no product to buy... just a nice short clip showing you some good exercises for your forearms. 'Nuf said. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SLfIP0O6b0&mode=user&search="]4 arm exercises - YouTube[/ame]

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Nice on slip- that guy has some great vids.

I saw this in the related video section, never seen one before. What do you make of it??

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lbPAKhIPLQ&mode=related&search="]Ultimate Fighting Machine 3 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOtolvfYQU"]Ultimate Fighting Machine 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  3. slipthejab

Nice on slip- that guy has some great vids.

Yeah that guy does have some good stuff. I mean seriously... this sort of stuff was always very hard to find before the internet. Now we're spoiled for choice.
    I'm glad to see this guy took the time and effort to post this stuff. No nonsense down to earth vids of good stuff. :)

I'd never use it. While it may be marginally helpful the problem is I have with it are:

1) it's a huge piece of gear
    2) it's got to be plugged in or run of batteries
    3) it's not moving around... meaning neither are you
    4) who knows what it cost... can't be cheap

I think having a pad holder who is skilled in holding pads and callingout shots is far more useful than this. Any money spent on this would be better spent on paying a boxing coach. I can't imagine ever buying this thing over a regular punching bag. Ever.

My 2 cents anyhow.

Now you take that same concept and wire it up into a heavy bag and run it so that it blinks random lights on and off... and then maybe... but even then... I'd still rather work with a live pad holder.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Cool. Nice little tip on the wrist curls for letting it roll down.

5. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

I really have to make one of those wrist rollers. Seems so cheap and easy!

EDIT: Old curtain pole + drill + some washing line + un-used 10lb plate = :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. Hiroji

Yep i agree.

Seems strange people keep coming up with these things. Whats wrong with a good ol heavy sack.

I wouldnt fancy missing with a low kick and nailing the metal frame too!

7. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Very sound advice, I like the wrist roller.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Nice find as usual Slip.

I really like the tip about standing on a ladder to do the wrist rollers. What I used to do was hang the weight over the banister of my stairs, and roll it all the way up. You only need 1 set and your forearms KILL YOU. Just be careful no one is coming up stairs while you are doing it, or you'll KO them :p.

9. slipthejab

yeah that wrist-roller deal has been a staple of the rock climbing and bouldering community for years. It does pump the forearms in a way little else does. :D

10. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

11. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

Very nice. I don't know exactly what it is, but I like that guy, too.

Give that man a job in broadcasting!

12. Hiroji

...i might get one.. :eek:

13. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

I remember doing those after I had an implant put into one of my finger joints following a sparring injury. My therapist had all sorts of cool little toys for improving forearm and grip strength. If you want something a little stiffer and more comfortable than a raquetball to squeeze, check out a "Digi-Flex." Granted they only go up to 10 pounds, but they are good for beginner grip training while surfing the net and whatnot.

14. taekwonguy

taekwonguy Very Valued Member :)

so did bruce lee invent this? or did he simply find it and help spread the word?

15. Hiroji

delete that post mate as soon as you can!! :D

16. taekwonguy

lol i'm not nut hugging! it's just that bruce lee used wrist wrollers in the 60's. also he liked to design his own training equipment

17. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

As far as I know, he didn't.

18. slipthejab

lol... in short... no.
    This wrist roller has probably been around at least as long as Sandow and the old early strongmen days. Who know's it could have been in existence for hundreds of years before that even... the Greeks? the Persians? Many ancient cultures had elements of their society devoted to training... even if it was just to go to war... or simply carrying buckets of feed out to livestock. :D

19. taekwonguy

ok thanks for the info!

20. slipthejab

whoa... wait a sec... :D
    I don't know for sure that 'wrist roller' existed in the time fo Eugene Sandow and the Golden Age of strongmen or not... the same goes for the Greeks or the Persians having one either.

It'd be an interesting thing to look for. I suspect that something if not the same thing existed... there pretty much isn't anything new under the sun. But... knowing my luck I'd say it existed for sure and then turn out to be dead wrong. :p