forearm chokes

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by faster than you, May 11, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

do you use them? what's your opinion on them?
    forearm chokes from the top are more dangerous than most chokes and are extremely painful and uncomfortable. however, most of the people i roll with, use forearm chokes and seem to think of them as an acceptable training method.

last night, i used two forearm chokes on a new guy as retaliation for his rough and fool rolling. he was frustrated and upset because i had tapped him out with a series of armbars and triangles.
    i don't mind when people roll hard, but i do mind when they roll "angry."

2. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but I like to go for a strangle from the top in judo sometimes where you put one forearm across their neck, and one underneath the back of their neck, then grab your own sleeves and squeeze.

3. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

If I understand correctly, by Forearm choke you are referring to a wind choke applied against the front of the throat with the forearm.

This choke is EXTREMELY distracting and painful, and once you slap one on the defender can rarely focus on anything else.

However, it is for this reason that I rarely apply them in randori or freestyle. To be honest, blood chokes are typically quicker, easier, and more "sneaky". By "sneaky", I mean that they can creep up on you and knock you out before you know whats going on.

May you achieve
    Satori

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

The 'X' choke i believe its called I think is quite nasty, you can apply your full weight to it and its tricky to escape from

5. Trinity

Trinity New Member

I use forearm chokes but i would not use it on a guy in spite just because of his fool rolling.

If i dont use then on my students and them on me then we will never learn to counter them.

Oh also i believe the 'X' strangle is for cutting off blood supply (caratoid arteries) and not one with the forearm on the wind pipe I "think" he meant this choke and not the cross lapel strangle or 'X' strangle.

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

The original Judo "Hadaka-jime" or rear naked choke, using the forearm.

[​IMG]

7. faster than you

i like that one. the rnc has been banned by some police districts in the u.s. due to cops applying the choke with the forearm, thus killing some people. the cops wold apply too much force for too long w/ the forearm then would subsequently crush the windpipe.

8. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

There's nothing wrong with forearm chokes per se. The ezequiel choke, for example, is a legitimate and effective submission. But to me there's a difference between actually working efficiently for a choke and just bothering someone by leaning on their windpipe. You see new, clumsy people all the time trying to crush people's throats while still inside their guard. I get annoyed when I see someone working that on someone else much smaller than them, or one of the women in class. When someone tries that on me, they're apt to get put into an arm triangle and have their neck cranked pretty hard.

9. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Here's an interesting article from bjj.org on the subject. Not sure where the original article was published but I've seen it reproduced on several sites

http://www.bjj.org/articles/971006-choke/

10. Kimura

Kimura New Member

if your talking about putting your fore arm on some ones throat while your opponnent is in the gaurd. then i wouldnt dare try to use that one. one if your opponent is skill he can use an arm drag and land a rear choke and among other submissions.two it sets up for sweeps such as a star sweep things like that. so as far as people doing it to me i encourage them too i even act as if its working until im ready to strike. i would rather them do this then have them trying to break my gaurd. :D

11. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Yah they work great, crush your throat in seconds with one.

12. faster than you

i wasn't talking about applying the choke from inside someone's guard but from the mount, side control, or 1/2 guard top. the old throat crush from inside someone's guard is a classic beginner's mistake. however, a well timed and place ezequiel may be effective while in someone's guard.

13. Sh4d0wS0ul

Sh4d0wS0ul New Member

Can someone describe an ezequiel choke, i'm not familiar with the name.

14. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

Start mounted on someone. Slide your left arm under your opponent's head, so that your left hand emerges to the right of his head. With your left hand, grab your right sleeve, fingers inside the sleeve, palm down. Place the edge of your right forearm on the person's throat. Lift both of your elbows, levering your right forearm down into his throat.

15. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Can anyone post a picture?

I can't think what you mean? How does lifting the elbows apply the leverage to the throat?

16. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

A lot of people I've rolled with use their forearm on your throat as a distraction while they are standing to pass your guard. It certainly distracts me. :D
    I haven't been able to do anything with the arm while their weight is on it so far, although I can think of lots of things I'd like to do. Like you say, if they are still kneeling in your guard, their weight isn't on it, so its different.

17. Covaliufan

Covaliufan Valued Member

"Can anyone post a picture?

I can't think what you mean? How does lifting the elbows apply the leverage to the throat?"

I've been trying without success to find you a picture. Get a partner and go through the steps I discussed and you'll probably see it. Your right forearm becomes a lever, the gripped sleeve the fulcrum, and the upper forearm/wrist presses down hard into the throat as the elbow rises.

18. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Thanks for trying to find a picture...I've had a search too (even looked on all the judo sites for a trad choke applying the same principle) - couldn't find anything!

Tried it as described and it seems too easy to defend by simply pulling away the right hand from the throat. To compensate you need to grip both sleeves with both hands and bring the elbows & weight down towards the mat/opponent, effectively squashing the throat between both arms.

19. JiuJitsuGuy83

JiuJitsuGuy83 New Member

This is the best picture I could find. I attached it so if it doesn't work let me know.

Attached Files:

20. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

Many guys will trap the opponent's arm in their half guard and ezekiel them. It doesn't really choke, it just hurts like hell.