For the Sake of Clarification

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Vajrayana, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At the end of the day even IF it were true - which it isn't - what I am doing makes me a better fighter and enables me to do my job better than anything else

As I have also actually had more fights than Bruce that suggests I might understand my personal paradigm better than he did

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

AGAIN!
    this!
    lee is not god, he was just a guy with some good ideas.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I like it when people come onto martial art forums and say;

"Bruce Lee"____________.....

.... liked this

.... did this

.... did not like this

.... could not do this

..... did not do this

.... trained this way

.... did not train this way

:):) not reflecting you Han-Man

4. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

If you made no such claim then why are you argueing? I wasn't being dismissive of Ballet I've actually done some myself. I was trying to get across that attributes gained for something are best gained from doing exactly that.

5. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

This is because he came to the conclusion that When you learn to move your body as effectively and efficiently as possible it will be somewhere between boxing and fencing .....though neither of the 2. It wasn't through cross training as such.

6. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Perhaps this interview with Howard williams will make the point clearer to you.

Had Bruce been alive, do you think he would approval what is taught as JKD?
    HW: No, by no means. He couldn't approve of this, because this is not what he was trying to get across the people today. In those days either. He in fact would probably be so disturbed by the whole thing that he would shut everything down!

Has anyone tried to teach JKD when Bruce was alive, to other students, so to like to open another club in his name?
    HW: No, because he wanted to make sure that things were taught and controlled the way they were supposed to be. So there were only three schools known back in those days. One in Seattle, one in Oakland, which I am from, and the other one in Los Angeles, where Danny Inosanto and his gang is.

What was his attitude to JKD being mixed with other styles?
    HW: No, no, no, he was totally against that, sort like trying to mix water and oil together, you know. You could put it together, shake it up and it appears to go, but when you set it down, what happens is that it separates. If it sits there long enough, it will separate.

7. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

equaly as Howard Williams has spend more time training with Bruce and Jimmy Lee than you HE would have a better understanding of the JKD paradigm than you.. Read the full interview below. Just try not to cringe too much. As it says things about Jimmy Lee (more senior in JKD than Dan inosanto was) being against training with weopons to develope A-T-T-R-1-B-u-T-E-5.

http://www.thejkdbrotherhood.com/history-of-jkd/JKD-Brotherhood/JKD-Brotherhood/howard-williams.html

8. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

I trained for 3 months wrestling and 6 months bjj. I was actualy quite good for my experience level because I found myself submitting people of equal level as me all the time. Maybe because there are good grapplers in my family and blood line??? Maybe because I had learned to keeep things simple through JKD and only do what's necessary to get the job done. I'm not putting it down by any means I'm just saying if I was to get into it properly I would have to overlook the combat element of much I've been learning.

Einstiens Head exploded when presented with quantum theory too but its showing to be valid. The principal focus for training in JKD is to avoid blocking. So if you are gong to avoid Blocking how can you not want to avoid Grappling??. The more I learned to grapple the more I found myself wanting to. I'm not saying everyone is like that I'm just saying what I noticed.

9. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Not quite!
    In order to disprove something maybe! But not if you want to discard it. If something does not fit into your agenda you are in a position to discard it.

10. Mangosteen

so you were submitting other noobs and white belts?
    so you were still crap.
    BJ Penn was submitting purple belts when he was a BJJ white belt. do that and then maybe we'll agree

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Combat ability is not genetic.

Nine months really isn't that long, and benig able to compete against people of equal level to you is nothing special - the challenge is competing against people better than you.

Just as a polite recommendation - I wouldn't suggest that you try and use physics analogies. Einstein's head did not 'explode' when presented with quantum theory. He disputed the conclusions of quantum uncertainty until enough evidence had amassed that he decided it was the most likely answer (given that current set of evidence).

You cannot discard what you do not have. To discard means to throw away, which requires you to hold (or otherwise be in direct possession of) the thing you are discarding. I believe you meant 'disregard'.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have read pretty much everything out there and find it philosophically and logically flawed in many respects.

Dan spent more time with Bruce than anyone else and was more instrumental in the development and propogation of JKD than anyone else. That does not mean he has exclusive rights on JKD - he doesn't nor does he claim such, but then again it isn;t him with an agenda.

And as Dan is the superior technician I know who I would listen to. And again, Dan spent more time with Bruce than Jimmy and it was Dan considered the Senior in JKD not Jimmy.

From a personal persepctive, aside from the fantastic attributes they afford me, I train with weapons to fight with weapons. If you do not you are short changing your ability to be a total fighter

13. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You mean the attributes you'd gained from training transferred into another format? :eek: :rolleyes:

14. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

I was just answering someones question on the topic and of my experience! . People who are good at it though also agree grappling has more of a sport application than that of combat and even less so congruency with JKD..
    I'm not saying that I was good at it in any shape or form just like you shouldn't be saying nonesence about you are ready to prove if the straight lead is of any use when you practice it 20 reps at a time. I couldn't care less what you agree with! you throw 200000 straight leads CORRECTLY and then come back and tell me what's what and then maybe I would care what you agree with or not!!!

15. Mangosteen

this is a reference to another thread. i will debate this topic with you there, and not clog up this thread.

16. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

and Grappling is no sign of Combat ability ;) Its a good thing a physician like you confrims what's genetic because I was starting to think I was a born Grappler.

read how we ended up here before you start making irrelevant conclusions about what I posted... this has nothing to do with competing

In other words he used Common sense ...maybe more people can try that instead of just jumping on my post for the sake of it

.and by have i expect you mean "Own"...Its interesting how people actually think they own something when they really haven't done what it takes to own it.

17. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

Instead of reading so much try practicing JKD maybe then you' be in a position to decide things

Why is it so many under him ride the JKD train but going the opposite direction?

Time spent is just quantity no bearing on quality or how things have progressed since
    His level of seniority is just Speculation based on certificates that bruce decided to stop giving out because of their meaninglessness!
    If Dan truly understood what bruce was trying to achieve he would not have changed anything from his backyard days.
    I judge Dan on his JKD skills and from what I've seen they are poor! as far as I'm concerned if Jiimmy was still alive JKD would not be in the mess its in now because he would have encourage JKD to be practiced at a higher standard rather than spreading people thin on how they did things 2000 years ago. Or teaching many different arts that actually conflict with each other

I actually do train weopons too but I know if I want to better at JKD then I really should be doing JKD. Attributes I gain from weopons are mostly attributes I gain for training that particular weopon. If I'm not likely to carry that weopon around all the time then totality in fighting takes a different definition than you seem to have.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  18. Mharewood

Mharewood Valued Member

No Certainly not in this case. Maybe I just didn't suck as hard as the rest of the beginners! who knows

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I think you will find he has been practicing JKD for some time, so really thats a pointless stance is it not?

Really? So what direction do yu think the train is going in. Are you sure your not stood on the platform staring at the train going by, or maybe your looking from the other side of the platform and you think its going in the wrong direction?

Really? Time spent in all aspect of training make you better, without time spent you have nothing.

Why, because you feel it has to be done to the letter, exactly the way Bruce done it? Surely even Bruce said you cant do it his way, you have to find your own way? Otherwise are you not just a robot trying to mimic its master?

I think you need to open your eyes a little more because those blinkers are skewing your vision. And all this "If he was a live it would be different" is all rubbish, because you dont know what it would be like if he was alive, it could have been better, it could have been worse, it could have died because of it. And the fact of the matter is he is not alive he is dead so another pointless argument.

This just shows your real lack of understanding about weapons then does it not? Weapons for attributes? on a small scale maybe, but you can gain the same attributes from bouncing a ball, understanding what weapons are really all about will enhance your understanding and abilities i combat whether you carry a weapon or not and if you studied them properly instead of just playing with them now and then, then you would know that.

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Yep, a little basic knowledge of biology and genetics is a useful thing to have. I can recommend some books to get you started.

You were boasting about submitting people of your own level, essentially being better than them, whether or not it's a sport competition it is most definitely an ego competition you were taking part in.

Actually quantum theory is very counter-intuitive, and goes against any common sense you might have.

I mean possess, not own, there's no matter of semantics here. You cannot discard something that you do not possess - as you can only discard a possession. Trying to argue around the point, that discard has some higher philosophical meaning, is somewhat pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.