For all "martial artists" who don't spar (Tai chi, Choi Kwang Do, Aikido etc.)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BigBoss, Jun 1, 2005.

1. BigBoss

BigBoss This is me, seriously.

For all "martial artists" who don't spar

This is for all people who don't spar and people who do spar but don't train with aliveness in other aspects of there style i.e. self defense.

Firstly I would like to say I am not trying to attack you in anyway I'm not posting this video to try to prove a point, I am posting it because I genuinely think it will be of interest to you.

The video is presented and produced by Matt Thornton the president of Straight Blast Gym inc.

Heres the link http://www.jkd-kbh.dk/sbg2.wmv

As Matt says in the video, your either gonna be p*ssid off, or a light bulb will switch on in your head.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  2. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

that's old but thanks for reposting it

3. BigBoss

Sorry, didn't realize it had been posted before, well I'll keep it there for anyone who hasn't seen it yet or want to see it again.

4. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hi BigBoss,

I am confused as to why you have put martial artists in inverted commas in reference to people who train in Taiji Quan, Choi Kwang Do, Aikido. :confused:

In my Taiji Quan training, I am currently doing quite a lot of sparring and enjoy it although it is challenging as well as bruising :D :D

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  5. BigBoss

Ok, maybe I generalized a bit, but most Tai Chi clubs don't spar, Choi Kwang Do guys don't and all the Aikido clubs I've ever come across don't. I'm glad to hear your school does, but I think I will leave Tai Chi in the title.

As for why I put "martial artists" its because, In my opinion, people who practice all the techniques but don't spar are not martial artists, the same as people who work out on a punch bag at a gym but never get in the ring and box aren't boxer. The same as if you want to learn to swim you've got to get in the water, you can't stay at the side of the pool and just practice your stoke on dry land.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video, like I said I'm not trying to prove a point, I just think that people will be interested in seeing it.

6. Stingrae789

Stingrae789 Valued Member

have you not seen those poor aikido ppl getting thrown around

7. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm glad to know you weren't trying to prove a point, because if there was a point, I missed it.

Good video of people fighting, though.

8. BigBoss

Stingrae789 are you being sarcastic?

9. BigBoss

The point is that you need to spar and train with aliveness because just practicing static drill and patterns has no baring on actual combat.

10. BigBoss

That 'fighting' is how you should be training if you actually intend to ever use the moves you learn in class.

11. figment

figment New Member

i think that the video brings up a good point about training. but something it didnt bring up is that in order to use techniques against a "live" opponent, you have to be able to use them against a "dead" opponent first... so its not like training without "aliveness" is completely pointless.

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah but it doesnt take more than half an hour for someone to learn a tecjnique depending on how complex it is. then you should be learning application.

13. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

And"in my opinion, have no clue what you are talking about. At 19 yuars of age, you7re an ezpert in the Martial Arts? You have gone up against someone of every style or school and beaten them, therefore you have something concrete and tangible to base this on? Or are you just parroting something you have heard?
    I find it amusing that people think if someone doesn't train a particular way (usually the way they say you have to train), then you aren't a Martial Artist or you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag. Disregarding the fact that these same 'non-martial artists' may have had to use their skills to protect themselves and were able to with great success. Oh, I'm sorry, it didn't happen in the ring so it doesn't count?

14. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

it's good that some members do spar with tai chi, but I agree that most tai chi classes don't have any free sparring or any kind of "pressure testing" beyond coordinated partner drills. I think that's one of the main weaknesses of the art.

15. BigBoss

Well the bit with the chess game, where Matt is saying "first you need to know what each pieces does etc." I think that was a metaphor for "first you need to learn the move". But let be realistic, how long does it take to learn say an arm bar, 5 minutes, then you should be practicing it in an alive way. If that was the way the styles I mentioned did it there would be no problem but they spend 100% of the time practicing without any aliveness.

16. BigBoss

No I haven't been up against every school or style, I don't see why I would have to fight everyone in the world to know that dead training is ineffective. Did you watch the video?
    Do you honestly believe that being able to do a move against an against an unresisting opponent will mean that you can do it against a resisting one?

17. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

did not even bother with looking at the vid as you obviously know little about Tai Chi. Tai Chi is a martial art and though it is taught by a good few that know little about the martial side do not get them mixed up with the people who do know their stuff. As you they do teach their students to fight.

18. BigBoss

I'm confused, saying they do teach there students to fight, is different to saying they do sparring in lessons or train with aliveness, which do you mean?

P.S. Please do watch the video, I'm sure you will find it interesting.

19. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

me not watching the vid and saying what i did is the same as you saying Tai Chi people do not fight or spar. How many Tai Chi classes have you trained with? There are plenty of Tai Chi schools that train how to fight maybe you were not looking in the correct place thats presuming you did look. Maybe you made your statement with out actually looking or doing any Tai Chi.

20. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Well said nzric....I totally agree with you on this.

Coordinated drills have their uses, but for learning and practicing the martial applications of Taiji quan, free sparring is an essential element of training. (imo, bearing in mind that at less than 8 years of training I am still very much a beginner) :)