foot wrap/taping

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by chip, Oct 19, 2003.

1. chip

chip New Member

can anyone tell me how to wrap/tape your foot/ankle/shin?

2. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

For your foot/ankle, anklets are the way to go. They simply slip on, and cost no more than £10. They support the whole area, not only when kicking with that leg, but when pivoting on it.

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Banned Banned

Chip, whats 's the reason for wating to tape the ankle? Purely for support or because of an injury?

4. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

I agree with assasin. I have got about 3 different brands but definatly recommend Nationman ones becase the are the tightest out of all of them and feel really good quality.

5. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Recently, my club had a tournament, and one of the fighters injured his ankle a few days before. He could barely stand up straight, as his ankle was so weak. He insisted on fighting, and wrapped up the area tight, and he won the fight, but i wouldn't reccomend doing it all the time. If its an injury, stop/see a doctor.

6. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Thai ankle supports.
    I dont know if anybody wears these for any actual support.

Most of the guys I know who wear them wear them to help against slippage.

I dont think you can really tape for good support and still participate in Muay Thai / Kick Boxing.

Tape it up goog put on boxing shoes or some other kind of boot and work on your boxing skills.

Jeff

7. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

My gyms philsophy on ankle supports is that they should be worn by beginners to support their ankles as they get used to constantly standing on their toes, keeping their foot pointed while kicking, etc.

Once you have become a more advanced practitioner, they should come off, and only worn in case of an injury or weak ankle.

Personally, I always wear ankle supports on my right ankle because its my "gimpy" ankle. I sprained it a little over a year ago, and its NEVER been the same since. So I put on two ankle supports on my right ankle all the time for training. I no longer have any problems with that ankle.

Khun Kao

8. chip

chip New Member

thank you all for replying -

perhaps i was given some misleading information. a guy i was sparring with suggested wrapping the foot/ankle and striking area so i am able to work harder on my roundhouses without the intensity of pain during shin conditioning. he also swears that the wrap strengthens the strike in a fight.

what advice do each of you have - i hold your opinions in much higher esteem than my sparring partner.

again, thank you all for replying.

CHIP

9. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Like Jeff Berger said, you may not be able to participate in Muay Thai bouts, if they are not amateur. I imagine you could wear taping underneath shin protectors, but that would only be for support purposes. As far as wrapping the striking area, i can only see this marginally making the strike softer. The shin is a very hard bone, wrapping will only pad that area. I think the decrease in pain will also be unrecognizable.

10. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

I like to mummify my entire foot, ankle and calf with over 30 ft of tape. Can't feel a thing when I kick...

11. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

Heh do you get people to sign your cast aswell?

12. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

hrm...a plaster cast...I might try that next time. One kick and he's in la-la-land.

13. chip

chip New Member

nicolo, is there a pattern you use when "mummifying" the leg (example like figure eights)?

14. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

hehe, I was only kidding about "mummifying" my foot...wrappings shouldn't go that far up. Too much taping will stiffen your ankle and will be a nuisance to drag around. Nationman anklets are great. The material fits like a sock and is very elastic so it provides mobility with reinforcement.