Foot falls asleep doing cardio.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Tika, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Tika

Tika New Member

When I first started going the gym in march, I noticed that after about ten minutes on the eliptical machine, my right foot would fall asleep. I really didnt pay it much mind because I figured it was just because I was out of shape. Now Im still out of shape, but Ive been doing this workout three times a week for months now. My foot didnt fall asleep for a little while, and now its starting again. And it feels like its starting to move up my calf a bit.... Could this be a problem?

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Couple of questions...

Is the incline too high?
    Are your shoes too tight? .... (blood flow may be cut off causing the numbness)
    Are you stretching beforehand.... hamstrings, calves, achilles tendons?

Are you keeping your feet flat on the pads?
    Stepping on the ball of the foot?
    Perhaps change and shift the way you step on the part of the foot ocassionally.

3. Tika

Tika New Member

I keep the incline low because it works all the muscles in the legs instead of more the upper ones. My shoes arent too tight, and I stretch lightly before cardio, and then more afterwards. Im not to sure about my feet. I think I rock like when I walk, only toe heel instead of heel toe, but might keep them flat, didnt pay attention. I play around with my feet when my foot falls alseep to try and fix it...but it lasts till im done.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

If your foot's falling asleep then you're OBVIOUSLY not going hard enough. :p

Maybe you just have poor circulation in your leg? Too much junk food? :)

PL

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Well, coffee always keeps me from falling asleep. I'm drinking some right now! :D

Seriously though, a doc told me that numbness can be caused by compressed nerves. Are there any swellings in the foot? Recent injury?

6. Tika

Tika New Member

SM : nope, no swelling, no recent injuries...this is quite odd. Dont have problems with treadmill or when I ride my bike.

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Well, you say it's inclined right. Maybe the motion forces your foot back on your ankle and compresses the nerve? But then it should be the same in both feet.
    I dunno, i don't have my MD yet :D .
    I hope it feels better soon though.

8. Wesker

Wesker Professional Lurker

Do you have flat feet? Maybe you need some good shoe insoles.

9. Tika

Tika New Member

Darn it. I hope my medical insurance kicks in soon. Id like to know what this is all about.

I dont think I have flat feet. *shrug*

10. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Valued Member

Would you happen to have back or neck problems at all?

I ask only because a pinched nerve/herniated disc/etc can cause the feeling you are describing and under certain circumstances (like the exercise you describe) will manifest itself more strongly.

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Don't discount that it could be possible circulation or nerve problems ... after going through all those suggestions mentioned, and you still feel your foot going numb, discuss this symptom with a doctor.

This is actually quite common at the gym I instruct at..... common on both the elliptical trainer and stairmaster

Another suggestion: If you're targeting your cardio you can still get a good workout even if you break your workout up into 3 sections and taking a minute or two between to allow the circulation to return to your foot.
    Be sure you are not sliding on the platform flat footed nor should you be standing right at the end of it.

Might be a blessing in disguise. The foot numbness may just be the prelude to the brain going numb.
    Most machines are inherently mind-numbing anyway :Angel:

12. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

My first guess is that your hitting some nerve just right (or just wrong) enough to numb the foot. One shot may be to get a new pair of walking shoes, something that has enough cushioning at the ball of the foot.

Or, lay off the elliptical and use the treadmill and bike more. Which reminds me of a joke...

A guy walks into a doctors office. He says "Doc, I hurt all over. I hurt here" The guy points to his arm. "I hurt over here too." The guy point to his knee. "I even hurt here." The guy points to his ribs. "Doc, what's the matter with me?" The Doctor says "Sir, your finger's broken."

Well, I think it's funny anyway. The point is, Tika, if it only acts up on the elliptical...stay away from the elliptical until you can figure out exactly what it is.

13. Tika

Tika New Member

Thanks to everyone.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

An inspection would be in order I believe.

Circulation or nerve compression are you two main culprits. Although do your calves feel hard or exceptionally tight?

15. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

16. Tika

Tika New Member

Yes kwaj...please inspect :D ... (calves seem fine)

I would, but I dont do any kind of jogging ever. No way ever. nope. Never.

17. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Wow, that looks like a good workout! I'll have to have a go at that when it stops raining

18. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

same here. thats good old british weather for you

19. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Do it in the rain like a man! :D

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Yeah, like that's gonna happen! The rain will mess up my hair :D