Focus Pads Help.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by JohnnyX, Nov 17, 2006.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi Guys,

Recently I have been going to a Gym where there is a trainer who tells you what to do. It's just a 'normal' gym, not a boxing gym.

One of the things we do is he holds focus pads up and tells you what combinations to do. Then he walks backwards and then you do the combination again. etc.

I must admit that I feel very clumsy not having ever done Boxing before.

Does anyone know of any on-line sites that I can see some videos of boxers using focus pads so that I can see how it's done properly.

It might give me a better idea then.

Cheers. :)

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

ive had a quick look on youtube but couldt find anything decent.

does this trainer know your a novice? if not he should know.

Take it slowly at first, doing only simple combos. jab. jab-cross. then when you have that nailed to a degree then jab-cross-hook.

If this trainer is any good thats all he will have you doing to start with. you need to drill the basics first, and even though a jab-cross-hook may seem basic - it isnt really. It takes alot of drilling to do it with proper tech power and keeping your guard.

if i find any vids ill post them up. good luck.

if slip comes along he might find something good for you. ;)

3. Fightshop.Com

Fightshop.Com Valued Member

Go one night a week to master Chanas in Preston. You will soon get up to speed.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Hi Guys,

I still suck at Boxing. ;)

:cool:

5. GojuKJoe

GojuKJoe Valued Member

Is there no boxing club near you you could check out once a week or something?

6. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

One big part of the problem will be this... if you're training with people who are not boxers and don't know how to call combos and hold pads properly your throwing a lot of good effort after bad.

What's worse is that until you have some level of proficiency you're most likely just drilling in bad moves into muscle memory.

A proper pad workout should be a workout for both the person throwing and the person catching those punches. It takes a damn long time before you can get close to holding pads like a Roger Mayweather.

Get yourself to a boxing club and get your basic technique down. That will be so much easier and effective than anything you can learn on the web.

Good luck.

7. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Aye, takes a while for my hands to stop shaking after ive finished holding the pads.

8. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Go to an ACTUAL boxing gym if you want to learn how to box. If the coach cant get you punching the focus pads properly, then run rabit run.

In 3 months of REAL boxing, you'll be smashing the pads like a pro..... well almost :p.