Focus mitt training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 6footgeek, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Hey guys. How you people doing? =)

I was hoping to get some explanation on Focus mitt training. I've seen some vids, but they're mostly about people showing their workout with them. i was wondering about things to keep in mind when planning a workout, from the pad holders point and the strikers. If i'm overcomplicating whats supposed to be a simple practice tool, sorry. I guess i really just wamt to know what Focus mitt training is all about and the DOs and DONTs. =)

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Focus mitts are best used for working on hand strikes. For kicks, use a set of Thai pads or something similar. Focus mitts basically let you work combinations with a partner. Your partner holds them in the various positions for certain strikes and calls out different combinations for you to use. You then immediately respond by executing the same combination. Through this simple drill you can work on footwork, distance, timing, speed, skill, and lots of other fighting attributes.

The best way to start is to use simple combinations for a set period of time, then switch with your partner.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

One thing to be very aware of is holding the pads in a manner that replicates an actual target. So many people hold them 3 foot apart or 7 foot up in the air or 4 foot up in the air (good for Fishy boy maybe?).
    I try to keep them close to my body so that the distancing involved is similar to where you'd need to be to actually hit the guy rather than 2 foot further in.
    And don't wave them about. I hate that. Even Floyd Mayweathers pad holders slap them into his fists and I just don't see what that achieves?
    Just give 'em a little "bump" to absorb the impact to give resistance but the whack should come from the puncher not the holder.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Totally this!

You sometimes see people training and the puncher could just stand still and let the holder slap the pads against his fists. It makes the puncher look faster, but surely means that their perception of distancing and the amount of workout they're getting is cut short.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The annoying thing is that Floyd Mayweather is so damn good. Which makes it hard to criticise the way he trains but it just doesn't seem right to me.
    I've seen one clip where he's not even looking at the pads for a large part of it. :(

6. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Hmmm. i sees. i've seen a couple of vids where the holder calls out a number which signifies a combo and counter. but i can't really see how it trains the person to react to a punch, other than the guy reacting to the number.... guess i have to try it out myself? or is there something deeper to it?

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's to stop you hyper extending your arm, so the harder the person punches, the harder you should slap the fist. Having said that, the person holding the pads should never slap the fists harder than the puncher is punching.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You need to have defined combos so that both parties know where to hit and where to put the pads to be hit.
    They can be made up on the fly (Jab-cross-low hook!) or predefined (Combo 1 is Jab-cross-low hook).
    But just having a freefor all is a recipe for disaster I think.
    Defensive stuff can be more freeform IMHO so the puncher has to react (block, cover, shoulder roll or whatever) when the pad holder hits them. Although they can be included in pre-determined combos too (Jab-cross-bob and weave under a left hook-right cross).

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Nah mate. This is a different thing. As I said...a little bump/tense to absorb the shot is required. Slapping down on the fist not so much.
    In some cases the pad is travelling further than the fist in this style of padwork.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

A good pad holder is golden for training, things to consider are:

You aren't just training punches, footwork needs to be considered and so should guard/defence

Realistic combos, an you aren't going to land a jab-right hook, so why throw it on the pads.

Keep the pads as close to your head as you dare. I hold them touching and just move them off a couple of inches to receive the shot

keep your elbows, wrist and shoulder angled correctly, you don't want your hand above your shoulder because then you can't rotate the shoulder externally and will hurt yourself.

If the striker isn't given a shot hide the spot, or the front of the pad, some peope get so amped up they'll punch whenever they see the front of the pad, no matter where it is, I like to hold the front of the pads against my chest and only show them the front when there is a shot for them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  11. Pretty In Pink

Oh I agree man, I'm just pointing it out so that the OP doesn't get confused between the two.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

So what do you actually think Chadderz? Your quotes just seem to contradict each other? :confused:

Mitch

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

One thing I found useful with focus mitts is practising hitting 'through' the target.

Try aiming your punch at the focus mitt, then do exactly the same punch but aiming at a point six inches behind the mitt, so that your fist has to travel 'through' the mitt to reach the target. Compare the difference in the force of the punch.

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I find a good exercise with focus pads is for each time the pad holder shows you a pad, you kick him in the shins really hard.

Soon, you will find that he tries vigorously to beat you to death with the pads, giving you a real work out and fine simulation of a self-defence scenario.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That seems like a bad training model, relying on the simulated opponent to prevent you from hyperextending your own arms.

16. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, I am! I'm not making myself clear. I want to point out that there is a difference between bumping the pads to stop hyper extension, and slapping someones fists down.

Well if you're not bumping against the fist, then you might as well been punching thin air. I mean, imagine getting someone to hold the pads, and not giving you ANY resistance?

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't agree with this at all.

If you are hyper extending your arms, you are out of range and therefore using poor technique.

18. Pretty In Pink

True, it also happens if the pad holder is giving no resistance.

19. Pretty In Pink

EXAMPLE:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyEvPrsdAqs"]How to hold focus pads for fitness boxing - YouTube[/ame]

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Again I don't necessarily agree. A good pad holder should be strong and structured, but not pushing back in toward your punches.

My own view is that I don't want my pad holder giving me a false sense of distance and timing by meeting my punches three quarters of the way through the movement.