Foam roller

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by eggbeater, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If that guy is tugging on it with force it's probably of excellent structural quality. That's my biggest worry with getting these kinds of contraptions. It also doesn't have all the weird knobs going all over the place. I just might order this today.

My visit to the physical therapist on the 21st is going to be interesting. I'll be bringing my log, potentially this thing (the nobler) so they can show me specific things to do with it, and my iPad which has an anatomy app that cost around $50 where you can peel back the layers of muscles and identify insertion points/locations of different muscles to identify and visualize exactly what's going on.

This physical therapist doesn't know what's coming. :p

2. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

yeah if it can take clint darden yanking on it, then itll take any of us (said the actress to the bishop)

NB RE rolling the IT band, the IT band is a great big length of connective tissue, separating two if the biggest strongest muscle groups in the body, don't think you can stretch or loosen it with a bit of foam. you've better luck stretching steal cord, instead work on the tissues AROUND the IT band, they are the thing causing rubbing or tightness in that area and can actually be affected.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Surely they could have come up with a better name than "back nobber" though?

4. Ero-Sennin

Maybe "Bandit Muscle Sling Correctional Tool?" Slogan: "Sort your train out cowboy."

5. Ero-Sennin

Just got the Back Nobber and have been using it for the last 10 minutes. Good lord can it reach places you can only wish a tennis ball or foam roller could hit in your back and neck. :love:

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Ahh it's always interesting to see how what goes around comes around...

Back in the 70's we looked at lots of this stuff! Probably the bible of trigger point stuff still is

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Travell-Simons-Myofascial-Pain-Dysfunction/dp/0683307711"]Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual (2-Volume Set): David G. Simons, Janet G. Travell, Lois S. Simons, Barbara D. Cummings: 9780683307719: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

There are an infinite number of people selling their versions of how to treat them but I found that Bonnie Pruden came out with a nice little version year's ago that was based around self help and not alot of mumbo jumbo nonsense (since she was a physical educator..)

http://www.bonnieprudden.com/store

The one proviso is .... things that get rid of pain don't always get rid of the reason why the pain was there in the first place....

Don't get sucked into spending too much on fancy devices etc... Bonnie used a puck with a rounded dowel attached to give a point to push against any trigger point. In the formalized version for treating trigger points you learnt to use injections, dry needling, deep pressure massage or topical anaesthetic.. typically flouri-methane (dis-used now as it is a flourocarbon and destroys the ozone layer yadda yadda). It is also important that in the long run a stretching and strengthening program is needed to try and prevent things from just going back to the way they were...

:' D Something new to look at Ero :' D (from a physio no less :' S )

LFD

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  7. Ero-Sennin

Thanks a ton for the info! I've probably used this Back Nobber for an hour today and it's really helped loosen some things up. There are moments where I shiver from how good it feels to finally feel relaxed in some of the areas that are so damned tight all the time. I get so many tension headaches and I feel like my neck can contribute to migraines, which cause me to lay around and not stretch so it feels like it just compounds the migraines more and sends me spiraling down into a world of suck.

To the bolded: I've had to do physical therapy a couple of different times and they physical therapists have always been about exercising the area smartly to help strengthen and rehabilitate it. I have a meeting with a physical therapist tomorrow morning and I'm definitely going to be asking about what exercises I need to be doing. If I don't get anything I'll be trying to target the areas myself. I've been doing the "stretching 6-7 times a day" method and it helps for a short period, but it's not building the muscles to be flexible/strong on their own.

Again, thanks for the info. and I'll definitely be giving it a look!

Edit: I might have to wait on purchasing the second book there. :p

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

9. Ero-Sennin

What the heck kind of torture device looking thing is that? It looks like something from the 9th dimension trying to take form in our 3rd dimension so you can't ever grasp exactly what it looks like as it constantly changes shape, like we're in Flatland. :p

I saw this: http://www.roguefitness.com/tiger-tail.php while looking around for the Back Nobber. The booklet I got with the nobber has the "tiger tail" featured in it and one of the main things it advertised was rolling the calves. It's a really tough spot to put enough pressure on and the exercise they showed was somebody sitting with the leg at a 90 degree angle and rolling the calf from that position.

If you ask me though I think a rolling pin for baking would probably do the same thing and probably be cheaper, and it's a much harder material which the calves tend to need. Just a suggestion, I have no real experience to base the suggestion on but when I get active again I'll probably try a rolling pin out. Calves are such a pain in the behind.

10. Frodocious

11. Ero-Sennin

Attached Files:

12. Frodocious

That's next on my list....! :eek: :yeleyes: :D :hat:

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Frodo...PVC...pain? All in the same thread?

Mitch and Moi are guaranteed to be having a funny turn right now.

14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Any DIY foam roller links you have to spare a poor boy?

15. Ero-Sennin

DIY as in make it yourself or learning how to use one?

If it's the latter it's a simple Google search for "foam rolling exercises" or even a Youtube search. Once you get the concept it's easy to figure it out. I have no clue how you would make a foam roller yourself, but being that the sports stores around here sell them for about $60 I can understand why you would want to.

16. Ero-Sennin

I'll keep an eye out on your log to see your review of that contraption you bought. The back nobber I bought is amazing and it's really getting me interested in this kind of stuff. I'm also using it on my problem shoulder/scapula to great affect (although the benefits aren't going to pop up for another few days, but I can tell it's working). I also have problems with my calves and tightness due to no arches in my feet and am interested in how that thing works for you.

I'm also considering something like this: http://www.roguefitness.com/indexknobber-ii.php where you could put a lot of pressure on an area in the calves while in a kneeling position. I'll make my judgment call when I'm ready to get back into things and am working out again. I'll probably get both if that thing works out well for you, the thing I linked to is only $10.

17. Frodocious

I played around with it a little last night and it seems to be really good for targeting the calves and hamstrings, which I've always struggled to do. I'm going to spend more time with it over the weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes.

18. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Somewhere on the web, a group of people are having an identical discussion, except the pictures are of sex toys.

19. Frodocious

I've been playing with my new torture device and am finding it brilliant for hitting tight spots on my calves and hamstrings. It's quite solid though, so I have to be careful about the amount of pressure I use.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I just received my backnobber 5 minutes ago and already my shoulders feel way better. Slightly worried I'll be tempted to over-use it though.