Foam Roller After Class

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by SyDiko, May 9, 2016.

1. SyDiko

SyDiko New Member

I've been doing some research, and came across a lot of videos and articles about foam rollers! (Lol, can't everything you find on the internet!) So, I was wondering if anyone here used them and would they help after a 1-hour TKD class or during any home stretching routines?

I've been training WTF TKD for about 4 years now (red belt,) hit a bit of a wall with my flexibility, and I've been looking for ways to move it along.

(Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading.)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. SyDiko

SyDiko New Member

Update!

So I went ahead and purchased a Foam Roller, and I've been using it after class! I'll tell you that it does work for those really tough classes that have a chance to leave you sore for a few days.

It also seems to be working for flexibility too, loosing otherwise extremely tight muscles caused by sitting all day.

I'll keep at it and post any more gains I see. :)

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think they're great just as you say, for loosening off after a tough session, or for speeding recovery the next day too. Glad it's working for you :)

Mitch

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

5. SyDiko

SyDiko New Member

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Incidentally, be careful with your IT band. It used to be very fashionable to roll the hell out of it, but there are now questions about how good that is for your knee.

7. openminded

openminded Valued Member

Foam rollers are amazing in aiding recovery, I am currently under physio treatment and use them daily.

Seems like wasted time to some but it's worth it in my opinion.

8. SyDiko

SyDiko New Member

Yeah, I read that too! Since TKD is a very leg oriented art, I figured it might be good to look up some additional info about rolling your legs and what could be bad.

I've been rolling out the muscles around the band itself to save meh knees, and it seems to be working. As for gains, I've noticed that my jump 360 round (or turning) kick is looking sharper and more powerful by the day. I can even do it much faster and longer 'hurricane' style. Last night, I managed 6-8 consecutive spins, up from like 3! I'm at the point where I have to work on not getting dizzy so fast though.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016