FMA, the street and the law.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Geordie Boy, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

A couple of threads here have stressed how you train for the street/realism in FMA- (and im assuming here that strict fma's would attempt to use a bar/stick etc on the street). On a slightly different angle, how do you think the law would look upon that in a self defense situation over someone who used their fists in self defense? Would they not class it as excessive force? Just looking for your opinions.

2. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Force

Hi,

It depends on "justifiably force", if there was more than one person and you used a "weapon" it *may* be viewed as JF - it may not. Many variables come into play - who initiated the attack; how many opponents you were facing; were any of them armed; was this a one-off event or an ongoing dispute; how much damage was done; what do the witnesses say; and so on and so on.

Your training in ANY martial art would be considered as well as your grade. As a martial artist it is generally viewed that you should be able to diffuse the situation without resorting to excessive force. Again, the use of a weapon would be looked at within the overall context of the situation.

Bill

3. Geordie Boy

Geordie Boy New Member

Thanks Bill,

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

it's hard to justify because strictly speaking, in fma: hit first, hit fast, hit hard, and keep on hitting. good thing is that over here, we have the best justice system that money can buy. if you can't afford it, you could always hide in the mountains for two years.

5. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

I'm not too sure about the laws here in America when it comes to weapons. I know that if the aggressor is disarmed, and you pick up the weapon and stab him/her, you become the aggressor. If the person doesn't have a weapon, and, even if you were hit first, strike with one, I believe you will be seen as the aggressor. I know there is something where if you strike and have the ability to walk away, but dont; you can be seen as the aggressor. There are a lot of vague rules about invading personal space, things that are difficult to prove. From what I understand, whatever self-defense you use, it has to be proportionate to the assault.

6. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Attn: Linguo

Yes, God bless the legal system ;-) Its all those "vague rules" which have made a lot of people rich, jailed a lot of innocent (!?) people and kept a lot of vermin on the street.

bill