FMA Politics in the UK!

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by PekitiBlood, Oct 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PekitiBlood

PekitiBlood Banned Banned

I thought this was a really good and relevant discussion from martialtalk. Enjoy:

http://www.martialtalk.com

2. PekitiBlood

Simhota NI, Dong!

:topic:

Regarding the quote "Simhota Ko, Dong!". When I was in the Philippines, my Cebuano military brethrens changed this quote to "Simhota NI, Dong!". And everytime we trained they would say this, then they would laugh and laugh.

I know the first one translates to 'Smell Me, Boy!" and the other "Smell This, Boy!". But I never understood why it was so funny, til now. Kinda like the 'pull my finger' joke.

This is not to disparage anyone, I just thought the Filipino lost in translation jokes added when the actual connotation was understood. I'm sure we've all been there.

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

First of all I don't know why you think it's relevant or has anything to do with politics? They are simply two separate groups. The individuals who head up each group where for a long time training partners in Balintawak. Now one heads up his group under GM Bobby Taboada System and the other under GM Bobby Tambimina's System. Yes they are both Balintawak but they are taught from each GM's own personal perspective which is very typical Balintawak.

One of the individuals was also a major forces in helping to set up the BCKEAI with the full support of the other. So your point being?

Regards
    Pat

4. Pat OMalley

Don't get it. What has this got to do with FMA Politics in the UK????

5. PekitiBlood

I thought it was a great example of the "too many Chiefs not enough Indians" idea. Remember these are two "associations", not schools.

With that line of reasoning, then there should also be a Villasin, Buot, Elizar, Veeck and Knight "associations". It could be one unifying umbrella group, it can be a two-party system (like the Democrats and the Republicans in the US) or it can be a multi-party system (as in India).

I thought in light of the thread this might serve to shed light on FMA politics in general. Where there is an absence of coherence, said misunderstandings tend to be the norm. There can be one Top Dog, or there can be many Top Dogs.

I'm sure you'd agree this phenomena pervades the whole FMA school, so before someone calls for the mods, it is not my intention to attack specific groups, I am merely citing an example to illustrate a wider issue.

6. PekitiBlood

Hence the off topic avatar.

I read the quote from one of the sites and remembered this anecdote. I'm sure we've all experienced these Filipino jokes.

7. Pat OMalley

You have the PTK groups of GT Gaje and Tuhon McGrath both separate organisations and of course the Dekiti Tirsia organisation of GM Tortal but let's not go there eh!

And yes there is a Nickel Stick Balintawak org here in the UK who will be joining the BCKEAI as members in June. Nothing wrong with that as they all have a different take on the teachings of Balintawak.

The BCKEAI acts as an umbrella group for all FMA here in the UK. All that is who wish to unite in removing the politics and bravado BS we see so often in the arts. Maybe that would be something that would benefit the art on your side of the pond as 10 other countries including the Philippines has set up councils for the very same reason.

Just a thought!
    Pat

8. PekitiBlood

No one really speaks of those two anymore. Personal disagreements, I suppose. There's really only one.

So you're saying every Balintawak GM has an association to promote Balintawak? I can see "schools", but am having a hard time understanding why you need multiple "umbrella" associations.

This I didn't know, Kudos for you and your group, Pat O'Malley!!!

9. PekitiBlood

As an aside, what happens to groups that decide not to join the BCKEAI? I'm not implying that they get the short end of the stick (no pun intended), I'm just curious.

10. Pat OMalley

I don't get it. You can accept there can be more than one PTK association regardless of the reasons. But you can't grasp that other systems can also have multiple associations.

People have choices. They can choose to train with one or the other or even all of them if they like. Who are we to judge.

And when you say there is only one? According to who's opinion. I am sure people on the other side of the opinion would disagree. As a matter of fact I have watch the disagreements in disbeleif all over personal differences that has nothing to do with the art in the first place.

Put it this way. If the BCKEAI had applications from both PTK camps and the DEKITI camps. We would accept them all as long as they can abide by the constitution of the Council and no one group would be allowed to claim superiority over the other. They would all be accepted on an equal basis and standing.

I think your clucking at straws here and trying to make out there is something underlying regarding different associations of the same system. Like I said in the other thread. You should not throw stones in glass houses.

Regards
    Pat

11. Pat OMalley

Nothing. That is there choice. We will still promote the FMA regardless of style and it is up to them whether they join or not. It's free to join and free to leave.

Regards
    Pat

12. PekitiBlood

I'm speaking of "umbrella" associations to promote or unify, yet many still sprout. So, what's the point of having "unifying" associations is my question?

Again, they are not "schools" per se, but unifying/promoting/brotherhood type "associations".

I'm speaking of actual interface with McGrath's students, who realized what they were missing. This is why inferfacing is very important, as it sheds true light. Same w/ GM Tortal's students. Both parties took the opportunity to interface with the real deal, and hierarchy was established.

What if those claims of superiority can be substantiated? Didn't you contact that Italian fellar specifically for this type of clarification. This is why you are respected across the board, Pat O'Malley.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This it seems is what you are searching for.

We here are interested in the promotion of FMA, you, it seems want someone (maybe you) to stand on the roof tops shouting "we are the best".

14. Pat OMalley

Again choices. People to to have different associations under different people and who are we to judge.

Now if someone thinks they are missing out or not getting 'the real deal' simple they leave and join the other group some will go some will stay on all sides. Again who are we to judge.

These different associations are unifying there own group. Interpretaion and understanding. It may be slightly different from the other group who are we to judge?

And no. I contacted the Italian fella because he was insulting others. Bad mouthing them and lying as well as bringing bad publicity to the memory of a well respected legend of the art who can no longer speak for himself.

Regards
    Pat

15. PekitiBlood

You don't believe there's a hierarchy in quality? When you go to the market, you see a rotten apple, an apple that's too ripe and bruised and an apple that's just shiny and perfect. and you're saying because they are all apples, you're perfectly fine with the middle one or the first?

But this is beside the point, we are speaking of the whole notion of "Too many Chiefs Not enough Indians" idea that pervades the FMA.

16. PekitiBlood

If they are just "unifying" their own group, that's a different story. Why have an "umbrella" association for this? Seems redundant.

Had the Italian answered and you beat him (my bets on you by the way), then you can say his "Kung-Fu" sucks, not only should he not be bad mouthing others, he should stir clear from martial arts and maybe look into teaching Zumba, the new Latin dance fitness program now sweeping the nation. Superiority and dominance are two beautiful things.

17. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Are you like Twelve?
    1. Legal Systems prevent challenges - UK law you cannot consent to assault. If you take part in a challenge you are a criminal. Simple as that.

The Bear.

18. PekitiBlood

Tell Pat! He's the one who contacted the Italian.

If they did the dirty in Italy, do they have the same tort laws in Italy? If not would EU rules come to play? if you pay the "families" to use their protected villages as venue for said interface, and the authorities did not know (why should they since these interface are agreed upon matches of wits), would this still be criminal?

What's the definition of crime and who gets to define it?

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

the law of the land gets to define it, so by extension lawmakers.

elementary Watson!

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Perhaps you better have an adult vet your posts prior to submission.

The Bear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.