FMA Masters.. never beatened??

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by thiaboxr2, Jul 10, 2003.

1. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I was recently reading a paperback book entitled 'Masters of Kali/Arnis/Eskrima' by Punong Guru Edgar G. Sulite. As I was reading each Master's short bio and little bit about what style they teach, I realized that most of them are claiming to never have lost a death match or a 'friendly competition'.
    The book references about 20 masters, give or take. Many of them well known. I can understand that there was alot of competition among schools and masters during the time when the FMA was just coming out and becoming popular.
    There was also a sense of errogance when I continued my reading as the masters were telling thier story on how they defended themselves against 5-10 assailants each armed with bladed weapons, bolos and rattan.
    I do not doubt their skills at defending themselves against 1-3 opponents, but up to 10! Come on!!
    Could all of this boasting simply be a ploy to keep their honor and integrity intact as to not lose students to other schools? Or could this be a personal thing among Masters well known in their respective community.
    I do respect the FMA. I am also a student of Lamaco Eskrima.So I am a little familiar with Arts being studied these days. My training continues, never the less.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Believe about 50% of what you're told and about 25% of what you read - especially when it comes to "masters" and "death matches"

Seems a lot of undefeated masters out there - if nobody ever lost then who did they beat?

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I think I have the very same book in my shelf. Well I guess in theory they all could be undefeated.......they could have shown up and won their match. They could have shown up and the other guy chicken out, so I guess win by forfeit. Or not show up themselves, and keep both their, and their opponents record unblemished:eek: .

Wasn't there a picture of one of the master's showing how he got stuck in the gut during one of the "death" matches, and obviously lived to tell about in this book??

In any case, just take it with a "grain of salt" and file it as a historical lesson:cool: .

4. YODA

Hehe - if it's the book I think it is you'll find my name in there somewhere :D

5. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Well if they are still alive I think they are probably telling the truth about being undefeated in death matches.

6. YODA

I'm undefeated in Death Matches too :D

I'm also undefeated in Formula One racing, Cross-country skiing and Aardvark Wrestling.

7. krys

krys Valued Member

If you had seen one of these guys you probably would not doubt it.
    My first silat instructor (top student of GM H. Turpjin) once took five (two of them armed) in the street of Paris, although he surprised them, and he wasn't a GM himself.

There are lots of stories around, some may be false other are true.
    I myself heard of a GM in Cebu who killed 7 men in a knive fight (although he was nearly killed in the process), and this was witnessed....

8. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

your undefeated in aardvark wrestling too..????? that makes two of us.!

9. YODA

You mean you HAVE been defeated in Formular One racing & Cross-country skiing? Wow!

10. YODA

Is this the GM Intin Karin story? If so i think you have it exagerated a little.

11. krys

krys Valued Member

Oups I made a mistake good to correct me,
    he was attacked by seven men during a town pista and killed 3 of them........ the others were severly injured....

I have myself trained with three GM, among other one of the book....
    This GM told me he once killed five men in Mindanao using a Bolo, having witnessed his skills and the speed at which he dispatched me during sparring I am willing to believe his claims...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2003
  12. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

The thing to remember about the "death matches" is that they weren't necessarily "fights to the death." The impression that I've gotten is that they were usually just all-out fights where death was a distinct possibility. But submissions/resignations/KOs were more likely.

Mike

13. Clumsy Ninja

Clumsy Ninja New Member

GOD! you guys don't know nothing about fighting multiple opponents!!!!! like up-wards of 10 guys.

Don't you watch how its done in the movies? You know where there are like 10 bad guys and 1 good guy and the bad guys wait their turn (in a big circle around the good guy) before they attack the good guy.

Seriously though, I agree with Pesilat I think "death match" more than likely meant that death was possible due to no rules fighting.

Also, believe none of what you hear or read and only half of what you see.

:D

14. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Believe whatever you want, just don't be surprised when everyone else ends up beleiving you're an idiot.

15. SteveJKDUK

SteveJKDUK New Member

I think every FMA article about a master discusses some form of death match they've been in. Sometimes, martial arts articles read like comic books!

The book I'm reading at the moment is the one by Mark Wiley on Arnis, and the culture behind it. There was one article that went on about anting-anting, oracion's etc that was a bit bizarre!

By the way, I'm new here! Hi everyone! :cool:

16. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Steve, welcome on board. :)

17. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL. I heard a great story about a fight once. An FMA practitioner (I believe this was GM Cacoy Canete) was challenged to fight. His brothers and friends all said, "Don't fight him. He has anting-anting and can't be killed." He ignored them. He'd been challenged and felt honor bound to fight. He went out and fought, beat the guy soundly and told his brothers/friends, "I guess his anting-anting worked, he didn't die."

I hope I got the details mostly correct (though it's been several years since I heard the story). But I'm sure I got the gist, and I've always thought it was very humorous.

Mike

18. moromoro

moromoro New Member

what Chris is saying is right on the money... most of the folk in this forum dont have the opprtunity to train often with their GM's if you meet some of these guys you would find it hard to believe them...... some do blatanly lie exagerate and completely fabricate cacoy is well renowed for this..

"The thing to remember about the "death matches" is that they weren't necessarily "fights to the death." The impression that I've gotten is that they were usually just all-out fights where death was a distinct possibility. But submissions/resignations/KOs were more likely."

also the vast majority of them where test of skill between one another. an exchange of ability......

19. krys

krys Valued Member

Haha! moromoro,
    what about an FPJ movie on C.?
    "C. the doom of Japan", can't remember the number of japanese soldiers killed, over 40......
    or "Once upon a time in Cebu?"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  20. moromoro

moromoro New Member

id love to see that one.......hahahaha

have you ever seen enter the garrote with paquito diaz???