FMA for a new guy

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pieman, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

You have now successfully demonstrated that it's not always the case of the student doing as the instructor says. It can very much be a case of student twisting the instructor's teachings to suit his own agenda.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Kagete, drop the attitude and insults please.

3. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

No, you truly don't understand what separates a block from a strike from a Pekiti-Tirsia point of view. Within the boundaries of your system, I don't care if you call striking "misguided affection", bladed weapons "wound rods" and footwork "exercises in cosmic futility". That is all fine and dandy. But the very least you could do is show some respect for different perspectives.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

My standards have faired me well so far. I don't judged the world on my standards I judge it on my experience and what I see. So far you have shown me nothing of your standards if you have any at all. Show me you performing so we can decide if you have a valid argument because so far all you have is mere opinion and conjecture with no solid visual demonstration of you showing us personally how it is done.

We can all post videos of others here that's easy. I will quite happily post videos of me showing how I do things. What about returning the favour and you show me on a video where I am in your opinion going wrong.

5. Pat OMalley

Sorry but respect as far as I'm concerned is earn't not a god given right and so far your arrogance has given me no reason to do that. Your all conjecture and perspective and constant not necessarily responses as all to often evasions as opposed to actual comparison.

I'm not particularly interested in how you compare what ever technique to a Japanese technique. I don't do Japanese martial arts I'm not interested in Japanese martial arts.

I am however now interested in seeing you showing us hoy you personally do it the right way on video and how so many others who do block are getting it wrong. Not Tuhon Tim Waide or SGT Leo Gaje or even Tuhon Bill McGrath all of whom I have a high level of respect for as well as the PTK system which was one of the first systems I trained in over 30 years ago. I'm now interested in seeing your videos. If you want respect you first have to earn it.

6. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I get the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you have somehow come to the conclusion that I'm questioning your abilities as a fighter. I thought I made it clear that that was not the case, by recognizing the fact that you have lots of ideas as to the nature of combat. So let me that absolutely clear - I do not doubt that you have gotten the stuff you do to work for you personally.

Blocking and striking, in the system of Filipino martial arts that I practice, are not synonymous. Whether or not they are in your system, I don't know and I don't care. It has also, might I add, been stated within PTK that if your footwork is good enough, your stick "becomes your headgear", i.e. protects against strikes to the head. That does not mean, however, that I'm going to refer to my stick as a helmet.

I have provided you with video evidence of the head of the style that I practice stating that in his method of fighting, you do not block. It cannot become any clearer than that. Don't think that I don't understand what you mean when you say that a block is a strike, I truly do - but a strike, in PTK, is not a block just because it comes into contact with the opponent's weapon or protects you from harm. What we refer to as a block, is a purely defensive, reactive movement that only serves as an attempt to shield you from immediate harm and in no way poses a threat to the opponent should he not have attacked. A strike in PTK damages the target if he doesn't do anything, but if he does do something, your own attack will at the very least protect you from him. Your mileage may vary, and again, I have not intended to question your prowess in martial arts.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  7. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

If the head of the system does something on video which he does not refer to as a block, but you do, what on earth makes you think I would be able to convince you otherwise?

8. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

:topic::love:
    Guess you will have to agree to disagree?

Sounds like semantics to me, block or strike I have no clue, I guess the result of not having something sharp and possibly pointy stuck in you is the desired outcome giving you the opportunity to sticky something equally sharp/pointy in them being a great additional benefit of said action.

Forget MA - block is defined as - a movement that stops someone from hitting you or from going forwards

9. Pat OMalley

Look I am not questioning the reason or abilities of the head of the system and the videos you posted of him. But all you have come up with so far is all well and good in theory. And yes a preference of attack and counter attack is the preferred way to go and should be your planned response. But as any General will tell you all your plans will run the way you want right up until the point of contact with the enemy at which point reactionary tactics must be employed as the contact progresses until such a time the contact ceases.

So no I'm not interested in seeing theoretical videos I'm interested is seeing your videos of you applying those theories under pressure. I want to see you sparring with just helmet and gloves up against a resistant training partner of equal or better ability who is trying his best to hit you as hard as they can and you making contact without the use of blocks.

Then you will makes roads into me respecting you. After all how can I show you respect when 1. I don't know who you are. 2. I don't know your abilities. For all I know you could be a spotty little teenager who just got a keyboard and too much time on their hands and reads a lot of articles and watches a lot of YouTube.

In order for your theoretical conclusions and perspective to hold any value you yourself have to show us you putting all that into practice under pressure and not in a controlled environment such as a classroom scenario. We can all do that. That's the easy bit. Putting it into practice and showing people from your experience that what you say is true. Now that's the hard bit.

And if as you say your stick is your helmet by all means show us and you will certainly earn my respect whether your any good or not as I know what it's like I've done it and it hurts like hell.

So no I'm not questioning the head of the system. I'm questioning you.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  10. Pat OMalley

I have no need to question the head of the system we use to communicate on a regular basis especially when he use to write articles for a regular newsletter I use to produce called stick fighter magazine. But hey what do I know of PTK

11. Pat OMalley

And to ensure there is no confusion and you have a clear idea where I'm coming from. Go get someone of equal or better ability and video yourself doing something like this.

http://youtu.be/z6kgr7yekLA

12. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

I have not only not ignored this fact, I have acknowledged it. In this very thread.

I don't think you're in the least interested in that. That is all a big fat red herring. If you have already made up your mind that any weapon-to-weapon contact that prevents you from taking damage is to be classified as a block, no amount of footage is going to change that.

Again, if you have already made up your mind as to what constitutes a block, a video is not going to change anything.

Now you're deliberately misconstruing what I wrote. I explicitly stated that I do not claim that to be the case.

If he says that in his system you don't block, and you dispute that fact, then yes you do.

13. Pat OMalley

I am very interested. Actually quite excited to see you put it in to practice.

no my minds not made up I want to see you put it into practice who knows I may learn something and I am always up for learning more it improves me and my students.

im only responding or should I say reactively responding to your theories and perception.

Actually no I don't. I'm not having the debate with him I'm having the debate with you and with a good debates when one side states that they will do it better this way the other will give the obvious response as proof. 'Show me'.

14. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Put what into practice? Deflecting a strike which I will refer to as counter-offense, and that you will refer to as a block?

15. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

In DBMA, they refer to this as an attacking block. That is fine by me. But within PTK, we would refer to it as Standard Operating Procedure by using your hack to secure an entry.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFPO1zdZb08"]Dog Brothers - Kali Tudo - YouTube[/ame]

16. Pat OMalley

Are you only reading the bits you want to read?

I said. Get someone of equal or better ability and do something like this

http://youtu.be/z6kgr7yekLA

So you can prove your theories are correct and show us that under pressure not in a classroom scenario but under live pressure that you can do that with success without using blocks.

17. Pat OMalley

That's not you though is it? Or am I missing something?

Let me put it another way. You show us.

18. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

Are YOU only reading the bits you want to read?

If I do something which I don't consider to be a block, but you do, how the heck does that change anything?

19. Pat OMalley

You can say the sky is purple from your perspective but it doesn't detract from the fact that its still Blue.

20. Kagete

Kagete Banned Banned

It's glaringly obvious by now that you have somehow interpreted what I wrote as some sort of attack on your skills and knowledge. I already told you - you can drop that idea right now, because it's incorrect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.