FMA for a new guy

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pieman, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

I had not considered FMA until the last couple of days (in my search for an art to start http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117538), but reading around this very forum, and watching some of the videos, they look pretty awesome and I can see immediately pratical side, I have started reading around and looking at schools in London.

So my first question is, on the road to cross training, would I start with FMA or something else (I would say more "traditional" aka karata/judo/tkd/(B)JJ etc) or would you go for FMA first then once you know your butt from your elbow go look for another art later on?

I can probably get to both the Doce Pares or the London Academy of Arnis (I loved the Pat O'Malley videos I watched so far), I am still trying to work out the differences actually is lol

Or if mixing it up from the outset would be good idea then Bob Breen is also not that far from work.

As far as what I am looking for, get fit, learn to handle myself/be more situationally aware so - hand-to-hand / knife fighting, striking, grappling, etc. I am also looking for a teacher(s) that inspire / mentor their students - I watched the interview with Harinder Singh Sabharwal - would love to get some of the inner peace / calm under pressure skills to (unfortunately moving to the States to work with the guy himself is not an option :mad:)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You can start with FMA with no previous knowledge or base in other arts.

FMA has a complete empty hand system, so you may not ever need another art.

I would say that if you can get to Bob Breen then you should definitely try that first.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Singh is my Sifu and he is an inspiration to be sure!

In the UK we have Dan Wait under our JKDAA banner if you are interested in that - he is in Lincoln (http://jkdathletics.com/instructor/danielwait)

However, as Simon has indicated, Bob Breen is an awesome choice too. You won't go far wrong with much FMA as long as the instructor has a legit pedigree. As for the differences? Don;t worry about them just yet - they become more apparent as you progress and then less apparent as you progress again - very zen don't you know!

4. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

Think my wife would prefer moving to the States than up north! she hates the cold here as it is!

Looks like Bob ticks lot of the boxes, its 30mins door to door from the office and the classes start at 18:30 so no need to be too rapid leaving work and rubbing management up the wrong way :woo:, its pretty "cheap" for unlimited training, and endorsement from MAP veterans :love:

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hannibal/Simon can you recommend good FMA coaches in NW England?

6. Hannibal

Simon will be tighter on the scene than I am. However I know a couple in Manchester if that is close enough

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Manchester is perfect.

8. Hannibal

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Those lesson times are actually perfect for me! Cheers Hannibal. Going to check out the beginners class a week on Monday.

Edit - just seen Mahinder is a 1st kyu at one of the judo clubs I've trained at! :)

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

11. Hannibal

Tell him I sent you and he will take good care of you

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Do you know if he teaches regular classes in Lincoln Hannibal?

Mitch

13. Hannibal

Yes he does. I don't know Dan personally
    (Outside FB anyway), but Singh rates him so that is good enough for me!

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Do I refer to you as "Han the Man" or just Dr. Lecter? :D

15. Hannibal

He may know me as Hannibal, but if you mention my real name that will probably be best!

16. Mitch

Hmm, can't find details anywhere, but then my google-fu is weak :D

Mitch

17. Hannibal

18. Mitch

19. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Hi mate - i run London Academy of Arnis, so the only advice i can really give is for you to turn up to the classes to see what they're about. Martial arts is a funny old industry, with a lot of people making up their minds on which brand they prefer without actually trying them out first. I'd advise trying out each place for a week or two before coming to any conclusions.

And yeah - they might look similar in the content they cover, but there is a world of difference in the way they are taught. Gotta get your hands dirty if you wanna find out though! :)

If you ever want to swing by and just observe one of my classes, you're more than welcome to. Some people prefer to get some first-hand research done before they take the plunge and start spending their hard-earned cash, and i'm cool with answering any questions they might have about the system and my background.

20. Pieman

Pieman Valued Member

I was already thinking along the lines of needing to go along and see how the boat rocks in a few venues. One thing I liked about the London Academy of Arnis was it seems to teach one strand in the fabric that makes up FMA compated to BBA seems a lot more eclectic, pretty heavy on the kickboxing classes lot of the videos they have up definitely seem to be dirty boxing which looks like 50% of the clases i.e. seems more of a close quarter combat system than an "art" (don't shoot me its just the way things look to a complete novice).

To paraphrase somewhat - I feel at the moment I want to learn to cook, to learn a region cooking really well and then see what other regions countries have to offer so I can compare / contrast knowing the origins etc, Bob's school feels bit more like modern fusion cooking, i.e. lot of different influences i.e. its not so much about becoming a super chef in 17 different styles - but about the intellectual / personal journey?

Holy molly I feel like someone plumbed my butt up to my gob now.

Is London Arnis still in SOAS/WC1X 9EW?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.