Flying Side Kicks Dont Work..

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by StuartA, Jun 23, 2012.

1. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

.. Guess nobody told this guy!

‎1992 - TKD Vs karate - Flying Side Kick KO anyone! :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q9rUXrY-eiU"]taekwondo vs karate - YouTube[/ame]

Enjoy.

2. TonyMc

TonyMc Valued Member

It did look a bit of a 'cheap shot' though....

3. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Perhaps.. but the ref had restarted the round!

Still.. I just posted it for fun!

4. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Clearly a cheap shot.

I wouldn't say they don't work. I'd say they're an overly risky technique to the point that their utility becomes questionable.
    Ignoring self defense for a moment and the greater risk therein i would still hesitate to use a flying technique in a competition. I differentiate this from say a flying armbar where you have contact with an opponent making it easier to land a technique.

As for self defense I theres absolutely no way I would use a flying technique, even a strike, even a hand strike like e superman punch. It's just not worth the risk.

Look ma no feet!

5. Caleb Demarais

Caleb Demarais Valued Member

Always useful for when zombies come riding over the hill on horse back.

Hey - you never know!

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Why was it a cheap shot? Looked like the ref had started the round. Is it against the rules to use?

7. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The "flying side kick" is one of my friends favor initial attack. He will jump in the air, when his body comes down, his side kick will kick right on my "leading leg knee joint" in a 45 degree downward angle. Since his full body weight will land on my weak knee joint, it will put me in 100% defense mode. That's exactly what he wants.

I love to use the jumping front kick at my opponent's leading knee joint as my initial attack. But I find out the "flying side kick" will have higher successful rate than the "jump front kick" when used to attack the knee joint because the foot is turned sideway.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  8. Tornado578

Tornado578 New Member

I think this kind of techques are good because of the element of surprise.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

No cheap shot about it. Ref started the round. You are there to fight. The minute it's on it's on. If you let your guard down then you get what is coming your way. Fact.

10. slipthejab

lol... wut?!

And how many flying armbars have you actually landed? How does contact with your opponent make a flying armbar easier to land? No amount of contact is going to make up for poor timing or poor set up. For the flying armbar or for the flying sidekick. Amount of contact with an opponent isn't going to improve a badly set up flying armbar.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

The slow motion at the end was simply the best.

12. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Yeah, flying armbars are way more difficult and harder to set up than a flying side kick.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Practice your flying side kicks people.

A very young Simon, probably about 25 years ago.

Flying Side Kick 2a.jpg

14. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

That sweater is sweeeeeeT.

15. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

What the hell happened to the hair?

16. Simon

That is not actually a picture of a flying side kick, it is a picture of me with hair. :cry::cry::cry:

17. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Tell me you jumped over that car to do the kick because that would be sweeter than the sweater... :D

Flying side kick wise, I've used them only twice in competition, in the same round. First time I skimmed the guys face, barely touched him in fact, he screamed. Second time, I might have been on another mat, such was the distance between my kick and his face.

Sparring, I don't tend to use them, due to the fact that I'm no longer fast enough to pull them off, but mostly because I got kicked in the nads, mid-air trying one against a friend... :(

18. Simon

The picture is deceiving. I did actually jump over the wing of the car.

19. slipthejab

out of curiosity what does sign on the windscreen read?

20. Simon

It says "Believe in the beat", a reference to the film Breakdance II.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLaqcKAzM8"]CAROL LYNN TOWNES - BELIEVE IN THE BEAT - YouTube[/ame]