"Floating In Totality".....What Does It Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Simplicity, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I'm interested in knowing everyone feelings on this subject, as I already know what it means to me.......Which I will state in a later post, just keep in mind, there is no right or wrong anwser.......But what you presently understand as your truth at this time and space......of your training!

Peace, Love and Soul
    JFM :)

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

my truth is simply, to improve. to apply the jkd concepts in real time combat.
    to test and push myself. to be a better fighter and martial artist

3. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Tel.....I sorry I put That word Truth in there, LOL :bang: .......Thats not what I meant.........I mean whats "Floating In Totality" means to you?........

Again, sorry for the misunderstanding :bang:

Take It Easy,
    JFM

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  4. tel

then i don't know. not there yet.
    but i would say being able to fight at any range and use techqniues without thought

5. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

totally floating...the application of plattitudes to fighting is pointless, contrived, and comical. the ideal of the philosopher/fighter is romantic, but unnecssary to reaching badassness.
    though the best fighters are usually the most intelligent and creative.

6. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

As I said I would in a later post give "What It Means To Me"........."A Tactical Awareness That Is In Contastant Fitting-In Process Thats Neither For Or Against" by John McNabney.......This is what it means to me. :)

Something to think about...... :D

Peace, Love and Soul
    JFM

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Partially, I think Lee's "floating in totality" is a result of his thinking being shaped by the 60s and 70s. The phrasing is very philosophical, even if the idea behind it could be expressed in much more utilitarian terms. (And maybe it couldn't. What do I know.)

My sense, though, is that he's talking about not putting the cart before the horse. In terms of martial arts, people sometimes place more weight on adhering to the philosophical and physical tenets of a set style than they do in addressing the reality of the person(s) in front of them. Or the reality of themselves for that matter. I've seen people frustrated by the fact that they can't, for instance, tag their classmates with a jumping crescent kick. Despite the fact that they have the aggressiveness, musculature, and physical skills to shoot in on, take down, punch out, or otherwise maul anyone else in their class.

So what was the source of their frustration? They couldn't win in the "style X" way. So instead of looking at the encounter through the lens of the encounter itself, they look at it through the lens of their chosen style. And Lee would have (probably) described that as a fragmented view of the truth. Or some other pithy philosophical sound byte from the 70s.

:D

Stuart

8. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Remember guys......This post is "What it means to you" not Bruce Lee or anyone else but "YOU"........also a note, to truly understand anything you must understand both Yin/Yang of "IT".......Example the subject speed, most only look at fast-ness of speed, but to truly understand speed don't forget slow-ness, they both have mert.......You can't be one sided......If one look at the Yin/Yang logo, you'll see what I mean, they are connected and they flow together.......At the end of fast is slow-ness and at the end of slow-ness is fast-ness.........

Sometimes I see martial artist say, I do hard style or soft style......Then I think to myself Hmmmm!, how can that be........In all retro-speck thats not possible if you understand physic's, just like walking one has to be soft on one side and hard on the other side at the same time, Hmmmmm! Think about "IT" for a min.......

p.s. this isn't about BL, but you the martial artist, which is alive and changing!

Peace, Love and Soul
    John McNabney

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

As I said, it means not putting the cart before the horse. Your first allegiance isn't to the precepts of one style or another. It's to the complete experience of the situation right in front of you. Bringing to bear everything that you, as an individual, have to offer.

The whole "floating in totality" phrasing is overly philosophical to my mind.

Stuart

10. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I think Bruce was chewing cannabis that day...

11. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I guess some don't understand, Huhhhh! One day if you are "BEING" you will and this by no means is a slap in the face, just that there is more to "IT" then meets the eye! :D

Good Training To All
    JFM

12. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i doubt anyone is confused by the maxim. i think of it as an obvious combat principle. however instead of saying, "do what it takes," lee said, "floating in totality." he really loved complexity in wording. ahh, the irony.

13. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

tbh i think it was bruce's fanatical working out which made him a good fighter more than his actual martial arts training.
    e.g. running up to 2 miles a day is going to make you fast and agile.
    stretching will enable you to extend any limb to any awkward position
    weight training in as many variations as him will give your body strength whatever angle it may be in.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Haven't read this forum in a while. But honestly Simplicity, saying "some don't understand" and then sneaking away with "more than meets the eye" is a parlour trick. You haven't actually said anything. You've just thrown up a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Next you'll be using the old chestnut "those who speak do not know..." or some such.

Good grief. If you're going to shoot down responses, at least have the courtesy to actually supply an alternative interpretation. And trust me, that's how I'll take it. Your interpretation.

Stuart

15. neb

neb Banned Banned

If one more person replaces JKD with that pointless phrase: "IT" - I'm going to punch my monitor screen until it cracks and then buy another one with my 10% discount at PC World, valid until November 2006, laughing!

This constant rambling I see of users saying "people dont get "IT", but i get "IT", because i am obvussly better traned and have wtahced more bruce lee movies and seen books on "IT"" is embarassing to see on this forum and childish to the extent that I sometimes feel like poking out my own eyes!

But of course I won't because then I couldn't post the wisdom of neb anymore.

16. tel

the it thing does exist,but the kali really brings it out, was free flowing loads of drills with my instructor and when it breaks down you automatically find the angle to hit, without thinking

17. neb

neb Banned Banned

By your definition, the "IT" (ooh, hate that word) you're reffering to is more appropriately called "muscle memory"

18. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

'floating in totality'

not heard that before.. cool.

reminds me of my new sig, check it out - it's the nuts :)

Is it same as sinking in to tality or flying intotaly ? hmm. pass the gum :D

regards zd

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  19. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Stuart......LMAO......For some reason, you seem to take "IT" (LOL) as a attack......No where did I try to attack you with my opinion......But I see you are not that respectful to me.......I think after 3,974 post you would that, maybe you need to do a little more training and less posting.......Then just maybe you'll understand......Peace To you and good training :D

20. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Young man I have concert shirt older than you, LMAO.......Just playing, so take a pill.......My opinion to you, START TRAINING WITH A JKD INSTRUCTOR, THEN TALKING......... :D

HAVE A GREAT DAY :)