Flexible weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Jeff Burger, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Jeff Burger

Jeff Burger Valued Member

Belt, tie, rope.....

Anybody got any resources (book video...).

Jeff

2. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Pak Herman Suwanda used to have one out on Cipecut (the flexible weapons taught in Mande Muda). But I'm not sure how available this video is anymore.

If you visit http://www.kunlunpai.com you'll see reference to the "Family Gathering Video" for sale there. My instructor (Guru Ken Pannell) is one of the instructors on the video and taught some flexible weapons material (from Cipecut). And aside from that, there's a lot of good content on the video in general.

Mike

3. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

No, but 9 section whip style are similar to those. Or the long rope with iron dart infront. There all wushu style weapon, look that up instead.

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Those are certainly flexible weapons and may, in fact, be more in line with what he's looking for. But the wushu work I've seen with those is nothing like the flexible weapon work I've seen in Silat (Cipecut) and in the Filipino arts.

This could be from a relative lack of exposure to the wushu stuff but what I've seen of it is using it more like a whip or projectile weapon. Long range stuff.

While that aspect is in the Cipecut and FMA as well, it's not the primary aspect in my experience. Cipecut and FMA flexilbe weapons is in close range using it to tie/trap/bind/choke.

As I say, this could be a misinterpretation on my part because I've seen very little wushu but that's the impression I've gotten.

Mike

5. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Your right mostly is for long range in wushu. Is good to know both close and distant fighting, but you cant really do those ties say like with a 9 section whip. All depend on what you have in hands, flexible weapon has many different type.

6. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

I am a member of the very small Nito Shinkage-Ryu of kusarigama jitsu, based in Kochi, Japan.

Our kusarigama are unique, in that we wield a pair of kama (sickles), to the top of the right hand one of which is attached a weighted chain (kusari). We swing the chain, striking head and wrists with the weight or catching the opponent's weapon with the chain.

After that, or if the initial attack fails, we move in with the kama blades, trapping the opponent's sword (or naginata, yari, whatever) with one kama and striking to the back of the neck, wrists or abdomen with the other.

Training comprises Shiai (sparring) in kendo bogu (armour) using wooden kama, learning set kata, practicing throws using the characteristic head and wrist armour of the tradition and partner practice with the real, metal weapons.

If you want to see any pictures, I've only taken a few, but you're welcome to them. , at http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/thomasplant .

Sadly, I'll be returning to England next year, and so will be unable to continue training in the Ryu, but hope to keep sparring at a kendo dojo near home!

7. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

I have used a manrikigusari for years and about every binding, choke, and throw technique designed for it can be done with a belt or rope. Amazon.com has an okay book by Charles V. Gruzanski, "Ninja Weapons, chain and shirken". It does a good job of covering the Masaki Ryu. You are going to need to practice alot though for these to become effective. Also alot of aiki techniques adapt well with a chain or belt.
    I have heard Hapkido has a system of belt fighting but Im not entirely sure if this is true.

8. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Nunchacku is the best flexible weapon that I can think of. Not only is it flexible, but it can instantly transform into a ridgid weapon.

9. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

I think the reason he is looking for something like obijutsu is because the weapon is easily improvised. In my office right now I could use a belt
    Gobs of network cable
    power cable
    phone cable
    mouse

Dont have many improvised nunchacku around here. Maybe if I took my shoes off and tied the laces together or I use my 2 pet gophers... :D