Flexibility Question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Alienfish360, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No mate, you're bang on.

Abridged version, Mr War and Peace ( :p), is "toes up" = hamstring stretch, "toes forward" = adductor stretch.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Static stretching to restore muscle length after a tear is good and all, but you should follow it up with exercises that restore muscle strength too - such as the use of free weights and isometrics. I recommend visiting a quality physical/sports therapist who can write you a complete rehabilitation program, even if you have to pay for it out of your own money.

Oddly enough, pulled calves are my most common injury, despite the flexibility I have in my hips and knees :p

3. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Thanks for your reply, so I assume at this point, then my stretch reflex is kicking in?

The thing is that in the seated position, I cannot even spread my legs far enough to feel a stretch, without leaning forwards, what do I need to incorporate into my programme to overcome this reflex?

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes, the resistance you feel in a stretch is your body's mechanism (myotatic reflex if you want the posh word) telling you that you don't have adequate strength in that range.

Keep on with isometrics. Make them progressively harder.

5. Alienfish360

So the reason that I see more progress in isometrics is that I have my weight and gravity to overcome the reflex, so the ratio for isometric gain to seated gains is NOT 1:1?

If that's correct, then thanks :)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yes, that is correct.

Even relaxed stretches done in standing side split are more effective than seated, because of the stretch reflex depression.

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I just noticed this now, but I didn't tie in what I was talking about with toe positioning and hip placement in my post. :p

If your toes and hips are different for the sitting than the standing, it will show in a decreased/increased range of motion in the sitting as the isometric exercises won't transfer much on top of not having your weight push down on em'.

I saw the picture and read the problem and while I've never been able to do full splits (pretty close though), I had a point where I realized I was stretching my groin in the standing (toe placement), then getting frustrated about the less range in sitting until I figured out I was trying to stretch my hams in the sitting. So yeah . . . . that. Somebody should have called me on going off on a tangent before making the point. :p

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  8. Alienfish360

Awesome, you're a star!

Ever thought of going into personal training? ;)

9. Alienfish360

Next thing to add to my routine is some hamstring isometrics. So it will be time to get my Kurz book out, then hound Van Zandt with more questions lol

10. Ero-Sennin

I'm willing to bet that if you learn how to twerk, and get get low with it and do the tricks, that all your flexibility issues will be long gone.

I'm joking, obviously, but at the same time it would probably actually work really well. :p

11. Alienfish360

I unfortunately don't have the butt for twerking ;)

12. Ero-Sennin

That doesn't stop Miley Cyrus . . . . . . .

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Already do mate, with a bit of sports therapy on the side, though next year I'm hoping to move into the seminar circuit on a more full time basis (Cirque du Van Zandt, coming to a dimly lit alleyway near you!) :)