Flex your specs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Do you use the Copperhead for fps?

What sort of games do you play on the two 24" screens and how does a 6870 handle them? Max/Ultra?

850TXUK is the same as mine I believe a bit of overkill?

2. CrowZer0

The second pic just loaded didn't see the inside before, your cable management is very nice, was it made by yourself?

3. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yes. I've had this mouse for about 5-6 years (I think) now, lol.

I only use one screen for gaming (the one on the left as it's a 120hz monitor). The second is for using photoshop when making designs for my business.

Just a bit, but I intended to have a second HD6870 and overclock it all aswell. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I could probably get away with less but I have a "rather have it and not need it" sort of mentality. I was also relatively new to PC building when I first built it. Saves me upgrading in the future I guess.

Yes. I built, modified, and cable managed it myself. I'm looking at a new case though. Probably a Lian Li.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  4. CrowZer0

5. Unreal Combat

Decent case. Alot of people like the HAF cases.

6. CrowZer0

I myself use a HAF 912+ case, which is pretty similar to yours aesthetically, I added an extra 200mm red led fan on the front, I have two 120mm blue led fans on the top, the corsair 2x120mm radiator exhaust fans on the back and another blue led on the side panel.

Major difference internally with your case I have easily removable drive bays, I had to remove most of the top panels because the 6990 is 13 inches in length, hence why I would need a new bigger case like the Corsair 800d when I upgrade this year or early next year.

7. Unreal Combat

I think you have better space under the motherboard tray and better holes for cable management also. I had to cut some of mine in.

8. CrowZer0

Um, yes cable management... I've been meaning to do that but mine is non existent... :eek:

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

My newest build will arrive tomorrow (i hope).

i5-3570 @ 3.4GHz
    16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    Radeon HD7850 GFX
    240GB SATA3 SSD
    1.5TB SATA3 HDD

I am not a power user by any means and I know this is essentially a high end of budget pc's but compared to what i'm running on now it will no doubt speed like a rocket. I'm looking forward to not having to wait forever for photoshop to do it's thing and to get good fps on extreme settings for most games (except minecraft of course, that would require a much more expensive build :D)

10. CrowZer0

AH I forgot about this thread, since I've recently updated a couple of things, updated!

http://gyazo.com/d5aac82102500d089432bed94a126bba

Main upgrades are as follows, doubled to 16gb ram. CPU is now at 4.6ghz per core, got an accelaro cooler for my 6990, and a 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

Also the lovely BenQ XL2411T 3d gaming monitor at 144hz

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Actually that's a fairly decent spec. You'd be hard pushed to find a genuine budget machine with that spec. I would personally have bought a smaller SSD and more HDD space. But I use my PC as a HTPC more than a gaming rig or anything else.

12. SpikeD

I have been running this system for about five months now and it is a pleasure to use. Windows 7 boots completely in around 35 seconds and gaming is no longer a drawn out process of finding optimum visuals vs performance; I can turn it all up and not suffer lag (the only exception being Startrek Online which crashes constantly regardless of settings.

I went for the 240gb SSD as it was on offer and only £20 more than the 128gb version. :banana:

13. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Rebuilt mine (again)!

Now we have:
    MSI-Z77(don't remember the rest of the top of my head) motherboard
    Intel Core i5 3570K (Much nicer then the previous proc, AMD FX-8120)
    16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 (Down from 24GB)
    nVidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti (nvidia model, $90 at Microcenter, upgraded from PNY GTX 460)

Carried from last build:
    Corsair 700W PSU
    OCZ Agility 3 90GB SSD
    WD Caviar Black 750GB HDD
    Xclio Blackhawk Advanced Full Tower case

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Good deal on the SSD. But you have to wait a whole 35 seconds! :p

15. SpikeD

I know! Awful isn't it. If I used Linux i bet i could shave about 20 seconds off that :D

BTW my old build used to take 4 and a half minutes to fully boot so i suppose i shouldn't moan eh? :p

16. CrowZer0

What is your SSD btw? 35 seconds sounds a little slow depending on exactly what you have going on? Have you optimized your startup?

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The last time I timed my PC it was something like 10 to 15 seconds. But that was before my XPS 720 board died with the Core 2 Quad CPU. I'm reduced to a Core 2 Duo now. :( Soon asmy credit card is paid off I'm building a new PC.

Ubuntu's also gotten a "little" fatter since then.

18. SpikeD

The SSD is an OCZ agility 3. The boot up time is from power on, through the login page upto when windows has loaded and my AV and AM has loaded, checked updates and auto minimized and the cpu/ram status levels off and stabilises. I think that is rather quick all things considered. I suppose i may be able to reduce that by a few seconds by turning off auto updates and delay starting the programs but i cannot see the benefit in that tbh.

19. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I built my rig about 5 years ago (when Crysis was THE benchmark game) I really need to do a few upgrades, up until last year it still laughed at most games quite happily, but the processor is starting to fall over (3.9GHz Intel Core Duo ftw) but to get a new core (ideally an i5 ivy bridge) I'll need a new mobo too, which I am too poor for these days.

hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have a new CPU and Mobo, then I'll think about upgrading my GTX285.

20. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

Hurray I love these threads! Everyone sounds a lot more experienced than I am. This is my first PC that I built from the ground up. I was upgrading from this old Gateway machine that was 5 years old. The poor thing was dying pretty hard.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card
    Case: Azza Genesis 9000 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

I keep saying, "I'm gonna take the time to overclock my cpu/gpu." Then I end up forgetting or saying I'll do it later.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013