Flex your specs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I think they judge it out of how many of them fail more often then any others and so on. I've had horrible experiences with Seagate in the past, the 16gb sure it will come in handy in a few more years. :) Hey start running some servers!

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The difference between Linux is the same as the difference between Windows and the Mac or the Sony PS3 and Microsoft Xbox. Most PC games are written for Windows. So gaming can be problematic if you're looking for high quality commercial titles. Only a few titles have been written natively for Linux. Some titles get ported very late down the line. There are a few good quality open source titles.

Some Windows games run with things like WINE and Cedega. Which are basically Windows emulators. They tend to be fussy though. Gaming on Linux just isn't a massive priority. Although the situation is very slowly getting better.

Basically if PC gaming is your thing, stick with Windows or at least dual boot.

3. CrowZer0

I've got enough systems, parts lying around to mess around with :)

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well if you just want a peak boot off the CD. Most Linux distros now come on a bootable CD.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

That's my day job, running servers. Desktop number 2 doubles as a remote access system for my home, file and media sharing system (hence the large drives), and ftp for when I need files when I'm not home.

6. armanox

So, my Desktop No. 1 from my original post (Odin), died over the weekend. However, a quick newegg order has remedied this error and thus Odin now stands again:

AMD FX-8120 Eight Core Processor @ 3.1GHz
    ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 Motherboard
    12GB DDR3 1333 RAM (Lost a RAM Stick when the old board went)
    40GB Intel SSD (Boot)
    750GB WD Caviar Black (Data)
    nVidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB (Core Overclocked to 800MHz, Mem @ 2GHz)
    Windows 7 Professional x64

So...now I want another video card (this thing has 3 x16 PCIe slots, and supports SLI) and to upgrade to 32GB RAM...

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

8. armanox

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The Intel Core I7-3930K will suffice. I think I can use my cpu cooler with it. But I might have to look for some clips.

10. CrowZer0

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The 6990 is noisy though isn't it?

12. CrowZer0

Not really I have the fan on auto it's usually around 27% It's only noisy above the 60% range, but if you have a decent case you won't hear much. The 590 has a variety of problems, including sometimes blowing up. The 590 creates a similar level of noise.

13. armanox

Seeing the benchmarks on the Radeon HD 7970, I'd wait a little bit if I was buying a top end GPU. Actually, looking at the benchmarks, I'd consider Crossfiring them if I had the money to blow - in quite a few games they outperform the GTX 590 and HD 6990 (fair comparison too - the 590 and 6990 are both dual GPU cards).

14. flaming

flaming Valued Member

15. armanox

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

6990 looks like the way to go. I am worried about the noise my current 4870 gets noisy. I might look for one on ebay.

17. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

I have Windows 7.:turtle:

I know nothing else.

18. flaming

flaming Valued Member

19. CrowZer0

A bit late but, the 6990 is two 6970's with one mobo. The 7970 is kinda worth it but is more similar to the 580 and on a broader scale does't really compare with a 6990 or a 590.

The 690 is a beast though, finally a card from Nvidia that compares with the 6990.

I'd wait for a 7990 (predicted october/november time)

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second picture is with old RAM installed. Other than new RAM it's basically the same.

Asus M4A79XTD Evo AMD 770 AM3
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition @4ghz
    Zalman CNPS10X Performa (Push/Pull fan setup)
    XFX HD 6870 1 GB (buying another next year)
    Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) DDR3 @1666hz
    500 GB Western Digital SATA-II HDD
    2TB Western Digital Elements External HDD (not connected)
    Samsung S222A DVD +/-RW 22x Dual Layer
    Corsair 850W CMPSU-850TXUK
    Antec Nine Hundred Case (modified)
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
    Razer Copperhead Mouse
    Steelseries AION Limited Edition Mousemat
    Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
    Xbox 360 Control Pad
    Acer GD245HQ 24" Monitor
    Acer G245HQ 24" Monitor (buying another next year)
    Harman Kardon Soundstick III 2.1 Speakers
    Advent AW10 Wireless A4 Printer
    Epson Stylus OFFICE B1100 A3 Printer (connected but not in view) ​

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012