Flat foot vs on your toes

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Anarch, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

I've always learned to stay on my toes as it prevents an opponent from detecting a rhythm in your footwork and it allows you to transition quicker and be 'springier'. It seems like many gyms seem to emphasize on more of a flat foot stance and some prefer just the rear leg to be 'on toes'. I guess it really comes down to personal preference and what feels more natural.

While standing in your stance or moving around in general, how are your feet positioned (flat or on the balls of your feet, and why)?

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

My trainer tells me to raise my rear foot. I believe it's so you can push off the rear foot when striking (I'm repeatedly told to push off the rear when throwing my jabs and crosses). Don't quote me on that as I've only been training a few weeks but I trust my trainer as he's trained a few champions so he knows what he's doing.

If someone else doesn't give a definitive answer before I'll ask him why tomorrow night.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  3. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I let my heels touch but I don't put any real weight on them. If I need the surface area I have it but I'm not planted.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

from what i've seen and been taught, there's different foot work depending on the game plan.
    i see an L shape formed by the feet with the back foot flat and pointed out, and the front foot on the toe and pointed forward when the fighter is trying to lure the other guy into a clinch or kick.
    i see more boxing style foot work, front foot flat, back foot on the toe, when the guy is engaging and punching.
    then of course in the clinch the footwork is a little wider.

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Both depending on the situation,the time in the fight,the opponent etc,flat feet to relax and conserve energy,up on toes to avoid rushes and ususally when your winning to move away from opponent,depends on what type of fighter you are to :)

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I tend to be a really big mix of both. I like to think I'm on my toes, twisting my hips and shoulders as I deliver a nice little rib bender and moving around nice anticipating a counter... but then I look back on the video and I'm essentially charging forward with my head down and arms randomly doing something that I can only described as a "panicked swimming motion".

When I boxed, the trainers were all about being on tip toes, they would point a series of white tape made to look like a set of ladders and say "Get on that thing". The idea being your feet are in the opposing corners of the squares at all times, on your toes till my calves were burning.

Its different for everyone. Keep skipping, keep doing foot work drills and you'll find your own rythm (as it were)

7. One of the biggest differences between kyokushin and MT techniques is right there. :)

Osu!

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

There is more than flat foot or on your toes.

You can be "on your toes" meaning heel lifted up and you must have strong toes for this to work well.

You can also be on the ball of your foot with heel partially up.

You can also be on the ball of your foot but with heel almost touching the ground (could slide a piece of paper between the heel and floor).

You can be flat on the ground with ball and heel touching.

You can be on your heel with ball of foot off the ground.

You can also be on the inside or outside edge of the foot.

No real point to my post. :eek:

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Lol Rebel Wado I like it.

I have been taught 4 ways that you should have your feet/weight..

1) 2 feet flat,
    2) 2 feet heels raised
    3) front foot heel raised
    4) rear foot heel raised.

Ive found over the years that these 4 ways work great for me in various situations:)

10. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Love to see so many different blends in one style. I think the biggest problem I've noticed is that so many people kick flat footed. I'm sure some can pull it off quite nice but I can't stand kicking like that.

I learned to follow through and if you miss, make your roundhouse go all the way around until your back in your stance and raise a knee in defense as well... all while on your toes (except for the knee). Seems like a lot of newer practitioners prefer flat footed because it's a much easier balance point but it's harder to generate so much power and if you do miss, that hips gonna be giving you hell.

Idk, I think it depends on the individual and the gym itself. I was just looking at some pics of our 'local university MT club' sparring. They were flat footed the whole time, which also seemed to make them want to lean back more, leaving too much space between their legs to be torn up. On top of that they try to do a lot more slipping and dodging like Western Boxing (all while being flat footed).

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

it depends on which strategy that you intend to apply on your opponent. If you want to appy the

- "fire" strategy, you will stay on your toes with "unpredictable footwork".
    - "earth" strategy, you will have flat foot and "move in inch by inch".

12. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

We're taught to kind of 'rock gently' between the two, in rhythm with your breathing. One foot tends to be on the ball and the other mostly flat, alternating

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yeah Teflon thats 2 0f the 4 ways:)

14. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

I think one of the main things in muay thai is pressure, to keep pressing, even when evading you are pushing forward and pressing, so in that context the footwork makes a bit more sense.

15. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

This thread has gotten me wondering, is the stance of two flat feet useful for attacking in any way?

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Two feet flat is good for Chok Sabai or box comfortably,if you are up on your toes all the time its easier to waste energy and get tired,kicking from 2 feet flat is hard but is also harder to see coming for your opponent:)

17. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

i think we kyokushin people naturally develop into kinda flat footed grounded fighters, but our head master insists that we practice on toes footwork as much as flat footed. which we do, and the benifits are quite obvious when they are mixed. i'm faster on my toes but driving forward and kicking low always feel better and faster with a solid support foot.

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I agree brother I think the low kick is better with a flat foot:)

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The best combat stance is the stance that you can spring from it. If you are on your toes, you have to bend your knee, drop your heel before you can spring forward. It turns out to be 2 steps process. Not only you may telegraph your intention, you may also slow down your attack.

[​IMG]

All throws are executed on your toes but that's a different subject.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  20. Anarch

Anarch Valued Member

Two flat feet will keep you better balanced and grounded but it will slow your attacks very slightly (depending on how you pivot and how you were taught) and you will telegraph your moves (through pivots) more than you would as if you were on the ball of your foot/feet. Flat feet are generally used in the clinch and in an all out brawl, you may notice you're feet wanting to be more planted to the ground.

Just depends on how you were trained.