Flashlights for self defense

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by black bear 84, Apr 17, 2006.

1. black bear 84

black bear 84 New Member

At over sixty years old my wife and I can't really move fast anymore, I can't even kick a ball due to my hip problem.
    It occours to me that many womens are in the same position that we are but they still need to have the means for self defence.

This is a piece that I wrote for another Forum, hope it can be useful here.

FLASHLIGHTS FOR SELF DEFENSE

As strange as it sounds, some flashlights are used for self defense quite often in daily life.
    Sometimes by professionals Police Officers in a way to avoid using deadly force in confrontations with suspects, and other times by civilians that are not permitted to carry lethal weapons.

In the US we have it quite good in that we are allowed to carry short knives and some others implements but in the majority of Europe such activities are illegal or highly frowned upon by the authorities.

If you defend yourself with a baseball bat even in your own home in certain countries you have to give reason for why you have such an implement with you.

One of my flashlights that I promote in the States as the Search and Rescue 852 lumens to use in emergency vehicles such as ambulances, fire trucks, helicopters etc. because is too heavy and too long to be easily portable (it is based on the Maglite 4 D). I have found appreciative customers in the European market to be used as self defense tool by civilians that go out for a stroll or to walk the dog situations.

Other lights use others means of incorporating defense mechanisms in their construction. I am thinking now about the ARES Defense Companion, a Maglite with 3 cells that incorporates a shotgun of 410 gauge (only one picture is circulating in the Internet and I think is not in production) or the Tiger Light that incorporates a pepper spray canister, or the several models of Surefire that come with crenellated bezels (one example is the popular E2D executive Defender).

Surefire was the first (to my knowledge) at popularizing the crenellated bezel and the SureFire Institute offers a class in basic defensive tactics called “The power of Light” which is open to all qualified civilians as well as law enforcement professionals .
    The course is taught by certified instructor Steve Tarani (shown below delivering a carotid strike).

[​IMG]

My own MAG 951 II or the EXP 852 can be had with the optional heavy stainless steel crenellated bezel that I offer in a limited production run.
    Such bezels add 3 ounces to the weight of the head and the bezel even that is not actually sharp will be a good imitation of the broken beer bottle.
    I don’t think that an aggressor, if he is in his right mind, will confront such a weapon that first will blind him with 951 lumens and then is ready to rearrange his facial features.

[​IMG]

Some handy accessories have been produced to increase the defensive use of the Maglite. I am thinking of a quality item made with great care and good materials called the Piggy Back; it will keep a container of Pepper spray quite handy by screwing the accessory to the end of the MAG tail-cap.

[​IMG]

Or from the same company the accessory tail-cap with carbide insert capable of breaking automotive glass.

[​IMG]

My own Quick Detach Swivel, when used only with the nub for the lanyard, can be very hard on skulls and noses.

[​IMG]

This MAG 951 sports the heavy 3 inch head (the head is now out of production), more resembling a medieval mace. This is also a fantastic throw monster reaching over several hundred yards.

[​IMG]

I have in my long association with the flashlight Industry seen a few models which spray OC from the front of the lens, flashlight that also incorporate a screaming siren, flashlights that incorporate a stun gun and others weird contraptions all of them gone from the market now.

What seems to prevail is just a good weight reliable flashlight that can be used as a baton or with the new crenellated bezels and the introduction of really powerful MEGA lights capable of blinding an assailant.

Best regards,
    Black bear

2. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

your on the wrong site mate you need ebay

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Geeze, this is ruining the flashlight industry.

A nice bright, portable, and sturdy flashlight has many good uses. Adding things like the ability to break glass is useful for search and rescue and things like that aren't bad because it is low key and not overtly a weapon.

However, adding all sorts of actual weapons and aerosol restraints to flashlights just is bad news in my opinion. People won't be allowed to even board airplanes or maybe we won't be even able to walk the streets with flashlights if they get the reputation as weapons.

Things need to be kept simple enough that law enforcement can easily identify what is and isn't a weapon, IMO. Companies that promote weaponry concealed in something else seem to be missing the point about having to go through security checkpoints and metal detectors. The point is that you can't have weapons.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

ROFL :D

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

A heavy mag light is all you need. You can use it to light dark stretches of road or alley, and club the crap out of anyone stupid enough to mug you.

I've seen people get brutally ko'd by thoes long police mag lights.

6. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Naughty Knight is right. A Maglite doesn't need accessorizing to thump someone. a three or four C cell unit can break bones just fine. The smaller ones are great if you know how to use a kubotan.

7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Just googled mag lights;

Maglite 6 D-Cell Flashlight

Dimensions: Length - 495mm, Diameter - 40mm.
    Weight: 1417gm including batteries.
    Uses 6 D-Cell Batteries - not included.

Thats one hell of a tourch! :D

8. black bear 84

black bear 84 New Member

A very powerul flashlight can help to avoid a confrontation by blinding your assailant.

I am thinking now of a minimum of 350 lumens as found in the Surefire M-4 or the 500 lumens of the Surefire M-6.

Of course the bigger MAG 951 at 1050 lumens and with the weight of 1 lb. 13 oz. and 12 1/2 inches long, can also be used as a wepon for self defense.

With such a light I agree with those that think that a crenellated bezel is not needed, unless you are confronting multiple assailants, in which case you have to use maximum force to get off well.

black bear

9. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ditto Nughty, Tellner, and Rebel. Specializing a flashlight to make it a weapon just seems rediculous to me. The basic form is good enough.

Can a flashlight be used as a weapon? But if you're confronted by multiple assailants and only have a flashlight, I just don't think a crenellated bezel is going to do a hill of beans.

The weapon is pretty much useless unless you've practiced with it. I've always been interested to find out how many folks who pimp out thier flashlights, spend any time actually practicing with them. Personally, I'd take the time spent finding those attachments and dedicate it to working with a FMA school to use my plain 'ol maglight (or some other instructor who specializes in weapons work).

- Matt

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I bought my sure fire flashlights more than fifteen years ago. They are all still working good even though some have been dropped over ten feet onto the hard pavement.

The bright light is also dispersed in a large area (rather than focused only in a small area). This gives a good blinding effect in the dark to anyone caught in front of it.

They definitely are better for emergencies/tactical situations because the battery life isn't long compared to a D-cell Mag light. They are bright and one feature I like about them is that the light bulb does not remain "hot". Some flashlights remain glowing for a half-second after being turned off... if you are not trained to keep the flashlight still for a moment, this can leave a trail of dim light that gives away the direction of your moment to the enemy.

Definitely agree with Matt that training with flashlights is important if you wish to use them to full potential in a tactical situation.